1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Rose vs John Wall

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BoyhoodDream, Apr 13, 2010.

1. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I'm here watching Rose's Bulls play against the Celtics and can't help think this guy is the next great point guard in the league. I dont' watch too much college basketball but was able to catch a couple of Kentucky games. Wall was great but he didn't strike me as the phenom that everyone is hyping him up to me.

I was just curious to those who watch more basketball than I do, do you think that Wall has the potential to be better than Rose? And do you think he will fulfill his potential?

Cheers!

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

From what I can see now, I can't see Wall being better than Rose, even at his prime. But you really can't judge Wall until you see him perform in the NBA. I do think he'll play to his potential as his years progress... I just don't see him being better than Rose when both players are at their prime.

3. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

I don't think John Walls court vision is as good as Rose's was in college, but hes still got time to mature.

I think Rose has a slightly higher ceiling than Wall.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wall has potential. However, at the moment, he's not NBA-ready. He relies on raw athleticism and speed. His game has no polish.

If he wants to become an all-star in the NBA he has to develop something other than running full speed and dunking the ball on fast breaks.

He also needs to develop his jump shot, because what he's got going on right now is mediocre. I still believe Derrick Rose is the better player at this point. Down the road, I think if John Wall develops correctly, he will end up having a very high ceiling... possibly Tier 1 superstar, most likely tier 2 all-star.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

College Wise John Wall was asked to do less than Derrick Rose scoring wise due to the talent around them.

Wall played with Cousins and Patterson who both have great post games.

Rose big man was Joey Dorsey and I can't remember the other one.

Wall's game is suited for the NBA more than it is College.

6. Asian Sensation

I may be in the minority but I think John Wall is going to be a disappointment. I think he'll have a decent to solid career but I don't think he's going to be this mega-superstar PG that some think he will be. I know he has time to develop and he's still raw but I don't think he's going to pan out. Just a gut feeling.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

With his current skill set, one severe injury that inhibits or limits his speed will destroy his career.

8. Asian Sensation

CDR is who you're thinking of.

Au contrair on Wall's game being better suited for the NBA more than it is college. I don't think his game will translate well with the lack of shooting, inability to run a half court set and lack of uptempo/running opportunities the college game presents.

9. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Wall strikes me as a show-boater. I don't know cause I've not seen him consistently to judge... From what I've seen, he does have huge potential.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Word for word.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

I could have sworn CDR was the SG on that team? Maybe I'm wrong.

12. Asian Sensation

He was... I misunderstood you're op. When you said big men I thought big time players/scorers. Maybe you're thinking of Taggart or Dozier. Both pretty sorry.

13. Asian Sensation

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah I meant post players.

I agree thought I don't think Wall be better than Rose but I think he will be pretty good in the NBA.

Rose is special though. Hopefully we get to see him in the playoffs again this year.

15. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Rose will be considered the greater individual talent, Wall will command better teams.

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

John didn't run the DDO very much as opposed to Rose and Evans... at the beginning of the season before they focused as much on the inside out to Patrick and Cousins you saw a lot more of what Wall can do.

It will be interesting to see how he does next year... I don't know if he will have the immediate success as his predecessors, but eventually he'll surpass them.

He already improved his shooting a bit during the season this year, but he can get better. :)

17. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Wall>Rose>Evans.

18. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Derrick Rose is the most atheltic PG in this league right now. Wall doesn't seem to be as strong and explosive, but he's pretty athletic too. What I like about Wall is his defensive prowess and willingness to take over games(the same quality I don't see in Rose). I'm pretty sure Wall is going to be a special player in the NBA.

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

From what I saw when I watched Wall (which is not much, admittedly), he looked to get the team into its offense first and only drove in when the opportunity presented itself. He takes it coast to coast when he sees an opening and finishes well with either hand. His shooting is not that great, but he does have decent form (Rose seems to be making his jumpshots because of tons of practice). I think that Wall could develop a great midrange game in no time at all if he puts the work in.

I'm very excited to see how he's going to fit in the NBA and I think that he will surprise a lot of people by how well he can run a team. Add his speed and athleticism and you've got a great young point guard in the making. Better than Rose? I think he will be.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Rose and Wall happen to be very good comparisons for each other, strangely enough. Both were NBA players trapped in the college game meaning it was impossible to judge either of them until you saw them actually play in the pro's yet they still managed to have OUTSTANDING freshman campaigns. Pretty impressive considering neither guy could shoot from the outside particularly well yet both managed to deal with college basketball's lame zone defenses fairly well by still scoring at a high rate.

The NBA is much more of a one-on-one game. One-on-one basketball is something the Derrick Rose's and John Wall's of the world were designed for. Wall will need to develop an outside shot if he's ever going to play with a dominant big man (something Rose hasn't had to do yet), but I fully expect Wall to enter the NBA and immediately take over. He's far from a finished product but his athleticism, playmaking instincts and scoring ability make him as close to a sure thing as you can get, IMO. The next question becomes: ceiling. His ceiling is as high as anybody's but does he have the work ethic and intangibles to reach that level? That's the only question that worries me if I'm drafting with the first overall pick and even that wouldn't be enough to stop me from taking him #1.

And yes, I think Wall could eventually pass up Rose. I like Rose's game and he'll continue to improve, but I'm starting to question whether he'll ever be an elite PG (as in top 10-15 player in this league). Wall brings a lot of the same things to the table that Rose does only he's a better playmaker which could make Wall's ascension into NBA megastardom happen faster.