1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Rose turns into Penny Hardaway -- true or false?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by eddiewinslow, Apr 29, 2012.

1. DreamRoxCoogFan

I no longer believe he can take the Bulls to the 'chip. He needs another bonafide star because his body might recover, but he is injury prone.

2. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Don't bother arguing with this guy. You're wasting your time.

3. conquistador#11

just look at our TE, here in houston. It's like a tradition for him to get surgery on that injury and he is still getting past linebackers into open space.
    Granted, different sport and faster twitch muscles for rose, but he is only 23. He can come back from it.

4. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

BEAT LA :confused::confused:

wtf r u sayin? **** dont make sense .....

#24 Luckyazn, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. what

what Member

Penny was by far the better player in his prime.

However, unlike Derrick, Penny's teams realized that you needed to rely on more than one star to win, which overfloats Derrick's value. Grant Hill was better than Derrick also in his prime.

If the bulls weren't dumb they'd get another star to pair with derrick. Trade Noah for dcousins and coach him up. Asik is plenty capable of doing noah's job. And derrick is being wasted because of the HERO ball + defense that chicago plays.

btw, I'd say that derrick is going down the path of grant hill and not b roy. Brandon had bad knees.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Sports medicine and science has advanced alot since Penny. DRose will come back and be a good player. MVP though? Not sure anymore, look at CP3.

7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I just hope he doesn't become a S

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Trolololol... Either that or you're a complete moron.

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I hope Rose doesn't become a Steve Francis. Francis had nothing once he lost his explosiveness because he never worked on the other parts of his game. Rose has more game already but that explosion is what makes the other parts of his game so good.

10. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I have had two ACLs. It usually is the spell of death, but if he works hard at it and rehabs fine, he can do whatever he wants again.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He will be fine. ACL injuries seem to be something modern medicine has really evolved in repairing. Factor that with Rose's youth and work ethic and I think his prognosis is great. In fact, I believe repaired ACLs are now considered stronger than they were per-injury.

12. what

what Member

Derrick Rose's .435 shooting percentage is product of all of the bad shots he takes.

Is derrick rose good? yes, but derrick has a great defensive team behind him.

Frankly, I think if you put nash on the bulls, they'd have just as good a shot at winning it all. Maybe even a better shot at winning it all because nash is by far the better passer, shooter and all around player. Derrick is an athletic beast, but nash would turn boozer into Amare 2.0 and noah's stats would jump as well.

I might be a rose hater, or maybe I just loathe how the bulls and the nba in general has fostered his image and his game, but I see rose as a 1 dimensional player who doesn't work to improve other parts of his game.

In order to win it all with the team he has in place, he needs to have an Hakeem type complete game, which he doesn't.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Wasting time lol. The guy posts 3 success stories all of which happened before the player played 1 minute in the league and established themselves.

I will say rose can come back but it wont be easy. Most of you guys think he just got lucky and he was born with this innate skill of playing basketball. He had to work his butt off like every other player to make it in this league.

Look at all the players who never returned the same after getting paid. Penny, pippen, tmac, Ben Wallace, arenas...all knee injuries off the top of my head and there are many more. Your three are just the result of players who worked like they wanted, not had, the guaranteed millions.

And I have a rare syndrome where when someone says Blake griffin I say b****. It's like turrets.

#33 BEAT LA, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

+1. I think you put CP3, b/c he is a great defender, on that team and that team is unbeatable.

I don't think Rose is that "great" (MVP/top 5 status) b/c he takes so many bad shots and so inefficient, esp. on a team where he doesn't need to take all those bad shots and efficiency is key. People gave him a huge pass by saying his teammates can't score, and yet they went 18-9 w/o him this year.

Anyways, it still sucks to see a very young and talented player go down to injuries. I hope he bounces back to his old self. You can't never say never until you see him play again. But hopefully, he plays smarter. Chicago has a great team even without him. Hopefully he uses this off time to fine tune his game, and maybe be a smart player rather than one who uses primarily explosiveness/athleticism to win games.

15. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

He will be back. Surgeries are so advance today that players can come back sometimes even stronger than before. It's all about how he's able to regain trust in that knee again. That's what the effectiveness of his first step is going to depend on at this point. DRose has the motivation, I think he will return with a vengeance that will motivate him to tear the league apart when he returns. I think the interesting thing will be is how to Bulls treat next year if Rose has to miss a majority of the season. I almost think that they should try to get a good draft pick that could land them a potential superstar to go along side Rose when he returns. Almost as if this injury could be a blessing in disguise at some point. Thoughts?

16. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Nobody is arguing with you about whether or not Rose worked his ass off to get to the League, because obviously he did. However, having the ability to run fast and jump high (elite athleticism) IS and has a great deal to do with genetics and IS inherent. As for the list of names you patched together were players that were/are players that were already on the wrong side of 30 and had ailments that were not strictly issues dealing with the knees. Also, if you are going to compare knee injuries, you have to compare apples with apples. Arenas, Hardaway, and T-Mac all underwent microfracture surgeries which are extremely debilitating considering their age and mileage when they received those procedures. Rose isn't undergoing microfracture surgery to repair a torn ACL.

Like you said, Rose worked his ass off to get into the NBA and there is no reason to believe that he's just going to change his habits and stop working. You can bet that he'll work his ass off to come back as strong as ever.

I'm not sure if anybody is a football fan, but one of the best comeback stories for an athlete to come back to elite form is a guy by the name of Willis McGahee (RB Denver Broncos). Being a RB, especially with his running style, your knees are as important as it gets for a guy at his position. I witnessed this guy get his left knee get obliterated in the National Championship game in 2003, where he had his ACL, PCL, and MCL torn which required multiple surgeries to repair. It was the most gruesome sports injury I had EVER witnessed and the interesting thing about this was that he had an insurance policy on his knees that would have paid him out $2.5 M if he never touched a football again. What does he do? Instead of collecting his check, he works his ass off, gets drafted in the 1st round and has had more than a productive career and is still putting up big numbers at 30 and is an integral part of his team's success.

Given the medical advances since 2003, you can bet Rose will be in better hands today than ever and combine that with his workman-like attitude, he has more than a good chance at coming back as strong as ever.

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Has Rose demanded a trade to the Suns?

No?

Penny Hardaway - true. He was already injured for almost half the season this year.

18. nohowtoplz

nohowtoplz New Member

Cooliobob you are so right and I immediately thought about Mcgahee. Also there was another Miami RB (Frank Gore) after him who had a devastating ACL injury and came back as good as before. Get Derrick Rose down to Miami or find the ortho guy who operated on them.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

I'm not surprised by this injury. I've been telling my friends for years that I didn't think his body would hold up. He is an athletic super freak, but I think that this is a blessing and a curse for him. The human body just isn't designed to take the kind of abuse that he puts it through. For lack of a better word, he plays violently and the cuts and stops that he makes are so stressful to his body. He can really contort and do some amazing things. Things that the average elite athlete can't even do. I question if he can ever truly be what he was prior to this injury. Just look at the move he made while hurting himself. Something that he always does, but it was very explosive and generates a lot of wear and tear on his knees with how high he jumps and how fast his movements are. Can he make that same jump stop game in and game out for 82 games a year on a surgically repaired knee? Will he even trust it like that again? I don't know...we'll see.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree, Penny was a special talent, but he wasn't quite as good scorer or as explosive as Rose.