1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Rose No Show?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Exactly, and he has exactly the kind of excessively macho personality that would consider it a stain on his pride to admit that he has those kinds of issues.

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Literally

Jontro and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

He's a rapist so I don't care about his feelings

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Good for you? I don't know what to say to this, it has nothing to do with my post. Thanks for sharing I guess.

5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I'm just saying, I think it speaks to his character. It's clear to me that he has a sense of entitlement and I don't think it's a coincidence that his blow-up occurred after the fight with Hornacek. I'm just not sure why you're defending him so much

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not really. You are saying you don't care about someone who you think based on your analysis of sports media committed a heinous crime although they were legally cleared of it. It's not an uncommon position, but I don't agree with it. Moreover, if you read my posts you saw that I said my limit of knowledge about the rape case is that he was legally cleared. I haven't really gone into it to form a decision, I literally only know what he was accused of, I remember reading about some texts and he was legally cleared. I specifically said my posts are under the assumption he did not commit rape.

Kobe was widely called a rapist and that didn't stop anyone from celebrating his career in a year long parade. And he didn't even win a legal battle, he settled out of court for a lot of money. He objectively had a huge sense of entitlement.

So does winning basketball championships and MVP trophies make it ok to be those things? No it doesn't. I think what's more likely the case is people who have read a lot into SPORTS media's reporting on his case have built up anger towards him, and it is convenient to connect the two things.

Rape has nothing to do with entitlement and, while we're on it, it has nothing to do with sex either. It is now known to be about power, and typically committed by people who feel the need to exert power on other people. This is why it's so common among overly macho men in helpless situations and in very hierarchical institutions such as religious and military.

I bet the issue with his coach helped to set him off, but there is nothing wrong with a person who fights with their coach or resists authority. It's not good for a basketball organization, but it doesn't make that person a bad person or a rapist. Rape is essentially a disease of the mind, it's an obsession with power. That doesn't make the victims of rape any less deserving of justice of course, and it doesn't make the perpetrators of rape any more deserving of freedoms.

I'm not defending him, I'm just objecting to people attacking him. We don't know why he didn't show up, we literally don't. For me it is insane that we are potentially talking about a person who never committed rape who displays symptoms of mental issues who was so broken down that he needed to get away and not even text his employer and people's response is to ATTACK that person. I'm not fond of the idea of attacking a person with a weakness.

The other side of it is, maybe he did commit the rape and he had no good reason to not show up for his teammates. In that case, he needs help and I don't really like the way that person is behaving. But it's still not enough for me to attack a person who should be in the hands of professionals in some rehabilitation and possibly isolation setting.

Think about it objectively. You do not know this guy, you're not a lawyer involved, you're not a victim, you're not a teammate. If this guy is not ok in the head, it can REALLY destroy/kill him and make him do more of the things you dislike about him if everyone attacks him. If you don't like his actions, what makes sense is that you would act in a way that reduces his willingness to think that way and hurt people. Even if you put the person in jail, if they have problems, they will **** someone else up in jail because there are people there. It's not a good cycle. And this is more of a D&D topic.

Bottom line: we all don't want Rose to have raped anyone or to rape anyone, and we want him to play ball. It's just about how each person chooses to go about it. I don't think ******** on him without extensively knowing the details is the right way to go. He's paid his debt to the Knicks for what he did, as far as I'm concerned, that's over with as long as his teammates are ok with it. As for the rape thing, I'll read up on it when I get a chance, but even then I'm neither a lawyer nor can I give that much credibility to sports journalists.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

You seem like a genuinely good person; I understand where you're coming from. My only issue is that this guy makes millions and gets the benefit of the doubt far more than your average joe. I'm in my final year of law school (doesn't really matter though, because I'm speaking from the court of personal opinion) and I looked through much of the discovery in the case. It was evident to me that he and his pals committed rape that night. I've discussed it more extensively in the Derick Rose Rape thread or whatever it was titled. But I think it was one that the jury missed.

Undoubtedly he has some issues, but I lack the sympathy. I love the human race and I'm not religious so I don't believe in an inherent Good vs. Evil in society. I think people are largely a product of their upbringing. Maybe Derrick had it rough, but I can't excuse his actions and if he can't be found guilty in a court of law or lose out in any other meaningful way, I relish the fact that he's losing ground in the public eye. Public figures assume that risk.

Kobe gets no pas from me. I felt that the facts in his case were far less egregious..admittedly I haven't studied that one in awhile.

malakas likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

Maybe it's because english it's not my first language but as far I knew gangbanger does not only refer to rapists.
    That's why i said I would sever all ties with someone who commited such appaling to me actions like sharing a drunk woman with 3 friends. Whether that's called a rape in a trial or not I don't care. I woudln't want to associate myself with such a person and therefore I can't spare any ADDITIONAL sympathy I would have if he was a brother or friend of mine.
    As such I judge him with the criteria I would have a stranger. A stranger should have been fired. Rose hasn't but that doesn't make his irresponsibillity more excusable.

I don't understand why all the oversensitive defence of Rose? What have posters here said? Calling him irresponsible I don't think that should cause for you to defend him.
    We didn't go on a campaign and call for him to be whipped in a plaza and throw tomatoes.

However Rose since last year hasn't hidden the fact that he's all in for the money and doesn't care about bball. He also quit on his team on the playoffs on purpose because he wasn't ...110%.
    As a bball fan I can't just say "oh he may have a depression". I wouldn't want him in my team and I can't respect such a player.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't think people who make millions get the benefit of the doubt from a jury. I do think they are scrutinized by the general public more than the average person. These guys are under the microscope, and most people wouldn't come through with flying colors under that microscope. HOWEVER, that is not an excuse for treating them with more compassion. Or even less compassion. I'm just saying, they're people. They're just people who we see more often (in the case of public figures). "Street" justice is not justice though. As a lawyer, you must see that Rose getting punished by his team does nothing to bring justice for the alleged victim of the rape, and it does nothing to change Rose's behavior or life. In fact, if he committed the rape, it might reinforce his own belief that he continues to be a victim.

Also, people aren't largely a product of their upbringing man. There's upbringing, ability to get food/shelter/medicine (resulting in stress), environment near you, traumatic events change people like nothing else, identity of people who live and work with you, a humongous one is also genetics and then apply that to every single person who had influence on you from parents to teachers to friends. More and more, they are finding that things like clinical depression are genetic. That's why it's not uncommon for people to do better or worse than the quality of their upbringing. It's complex.

Thanks for the positive discussion.

10. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

The response is so obvious, I have to wonder if you genuinely don't know it man.

12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Sure, tell me what I know and don't know. You know better than I do, so go ahead and take your best shot.

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Less than 1% get that outcome, it's the exception, etc.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am pretty sure Rose's agent told the team: "We have rights."

slothy420 likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. malakas

malakas Member

absolutely ridiculous and laughable.
    He abandoned his team to go marry?

Vivi, Nook, justtxyank and 1 other person like this.
  17. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

Wow.... I mean sure, why not right?

18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Ridiculous

20. Nook

Nook Member

Rose is a garbage human being.

He cheated on his SAT to get into college.

He lied about taking benefits in college.

He gang raped a woman and his defense was; “We men.”

He faked injuries with the Bulls.

He randomly goes on a leave of absence.

He uses his son as an excuse to justify anything he does.

He sucks at basketball and at life.

malakas, Jontro and Daddy Long Legs like this.