1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deron Williams only interested in Mavs, Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

When NBA free agency begins at midnight July 1, Brooklyn Nets star guard Deron Williams will be choosing from a two-team list that only features the Nets and the Dallas Mavericks, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com on Saturday night that, while this summer's No. 1 free agent remains "up in the air" about which team he'll ultimately chose, Williams already has made the decision to narrow his list of potential destinations to those two franchises.

Other teams, including the Phoenix Suns and Houston Rockets, had been hoping to lodge their own bids for Williams once free agency begins, sources said. The Los Angeles Lakers, likewise have continued to express interest in a sign-and-trade package built around Pau Gasol for Williams, sources say, despite the Nets' longstanding insistence that they have no interest in Gasol and would only consider such a move if they were getting back All-Star center Andrew Bynum, whom the Lakers have not made available.

Sources say Williams, in any case, already has instructed his representatives to advise any team that calls starting at 12:01 a.m. July 1 that he intends to either re-sign with the Nets or return to his hometown with the Mavericks after a glittering high school career in the Dallas area.

The Nets have expressed confidence all season in their ability to retain Williams, pointing to the team's forthcoming move to Brooklyn, increased off-court marketing opportunities for Williams with a team bound for New York and the fact that Russian billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov can offer a contract one-year longer than Dallas can worth nearly $100 million.

The maximum four-year offer the Mavericks can counter with approaches $75 million. But sources close to the process say Williams has ruled out every other suitor apart from the 2011 champions because of his respect for Mavs cornerstones Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd and his belief that owner Mark Cuban would make the follow-up moves necessary to return Dallas to title contention after a first-round exit in the 2012 playoffs.

While Williams is already settled in the New York area and known to have enjoyed his time living there, sources say he already has done some preliminary househunting in Dallas this month in the event that he chooses to return to the Western Conference. He's been with the Brooklyn-bound club since Feb. 23, 2011, when the Utah Jazz followed up the New York Knicks' acquisition of Carmelo Anthony by dealing Williams to Prokhorov's Nets, who had chased Anthony for months.

During a promotional appearance in Los Angeles earlier this month, Williams made it clear that he'll choose the team he feels is best positioned to contend for a championship fastest, expressing disappointment that he has tasted very little of the playoffs since leading Utah to the Western Conference finals in 2007. "I want to go to a place where I feel like they will have a chance to build and build fast," Williams told the Los Angeles Times. "I'm not really in the mood for being part of a rebuilding process. I'm getting older. I'm about to be 28. I want to win. I want to win now. Also, I want to live in a place where I want to live and my kids will enjoy living. That's pretty much it."

The decision, then, would appear to be riding on which team's future he rates higher.

The Nets are hoping the expected re-signing of swingman Gerald Wallace, big man Brook Lopez's pending return from foot trouble and Prokhorov's pledge to keep trying to trade for Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard ultimately will convince Williams to stay.

The Mavs' pitch centers around Nowitzki's proven ability to lead a team to a championship, Cuban's history of repeatedly reloading the roster and Dallas' contention that the path to the Finals might be slightly easier in the West in spite of the Oklahoma City Thunder's collection of talented youngsters, given that several of the West's top contenders -- such as San Antonio and the Lakers -- have older rosters.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...ng-brooklyn-nets-dallas-mavericks-sources-say

#1 J.R., Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. Spooner

Spooner Member

So basically he's gonna be a Mav.

Dallas
    San Antonio

Houston

:(

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

WHAT??? HE NO SIGN WITH PORTLAND LIKE LEEBIGEZ TOLD US HE SHOULD?

4. Jamers

Jamers Member

Trust morey! I'm know morey will buy a private plane, helicopter or bullet train to lure williams in houston. Then, he can come home to his family anytime!

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is why Dwight Howard wants a Nets trade to happen sooner than later. If D-Will goes to the Mavs, Howard is in no-mans land.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's interesting. But I don't think it's over. I'm still convinced if we traded for Dwight and approached him on July 1 that he'd sign with us.

7. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Everybody is the Southwest divison getting better except for us and our assests

1 person likes this.
  8. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

No not another Texas team ***** them!!

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

or he just signs with the Mavs next summer

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very possible, but I think he wants to avoid a lame-duck season like the plague.

11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

told ya

mavs it is

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I bet Deron re-signs.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yeah...he already had one lame duck season. It was lame.

I wonder why Deron has ruled out the Lakers. Deron, Kobe and Bynum can do some things.

14. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Pretty sure it'll play out like this, Deron will resign with the Nets. The Nets are then going to somehow swing a trade involving Brook Lopez and maybe Gerald Wallace for Dwight Howard. And the Nets/Heat/Bulls are going to be dominating the East for the next few years while the West is going to be dominated by OKC/Clippers.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Nope. Won't happen.

Deron may sign with the Nets but there's virtually no chance for Dwight to get traded there. He'll have to walk there after next season. Orlando, very simply, can get much more value in trade from teams like us, possibly New Orleans, Boston, etc. than they could ever get from New Jersey.

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I think theres no chance he signs with the Nets.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Big market and they can offer the 5th year max bonus. There's definitely way more than zero percent chance.

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It's so depressing being a Rockets fan.

19. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

P.S.,

I will never tank.

- Darrell "14th pick" Maury

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If the Magic somehow can get Lopez, #1 pick next year, and Brooks, that's not too bad considering they were going to go into the tank anyway without Howard.

You dump Howard's salary, while picking up a promising wing, a good center (when healthy), and a future pick.

There team is going to have to through some growing pains regardless of what deal that comes into play.