1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deron and the Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pass_to_Hakeem, May 25, 2012.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I see it the other way around.

If the Lakers get Deron and somehow keep Bynum it's done with in the west.

Deron is as good a scorer as he is a facilitor and he'd get Kobe (of all people) easier shots. Can you imagine Kobe getting open shots again? I don't think even Mike Brown could screw that up.

Also Deron would get the ball to Bynum, he'd make Bynum a much more consistent threat. The only thing that would stop them is Kobe not willing to pass the torch to his younger players.

But I don't see a way they could keep Bynum in such a deal...unless of course the Rockets pop back in trying to get Gasol...

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Kobe isn't Melo. He is more than capable of playing in an offense where he doesn't dominate the ball and at this stage in his career would probably prefer to have somebody else that can do a majority of the ball handling. If the Lakers can get Deron and somehow keep Bynum they will be right back in the title mix if Kobe can play at the same level he did this year.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If we had drafted Kobe and Bynum we would be in the same discussions the Lakers are in. Throw in that they drafted Marc Gasol too and the Lakers can credit a lot of their flexibility to solid drafting.

5. munco

munco Member

This. If the Lakers can get Deron and keep Bynum, the West is there's too lose. And yes even Mike Brown would not mess things up. With that said no way is NJ going to do a S/T to get Pau.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

That's only because NO front office want salaries to take back. NJ does not. The big thing is you'll need a 3rd team willing to eat Gasol's $20mil salary. The Rockets can do that. But I think only if they have another trade or two lined up. Otherwise, we'd have an unbalanced roster.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't see any team trying to build their squad around Gasol right now. We should feel lucky Stern vetoed the trade, would've killed our future.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Especially with the alleged Nene signing, that deal did not sound too encouraging for the future.

I think Rockets seem to more desperate to make the playoffs over a championship contender or even a well-balanced young team.

9. adoo

adoo Member

Gasol is one year older, and just experienced his 2nd consecutive "inconsistent" playoff performance.

the Spaniard---w a large contract, at age 31, after 12 NBA seasons---has minimum trade value.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not necessarily. There is plenty to mess up and they still need a decent PF and bench.

11. adoo

adoo Member

true that.

NJ may entertain this; Bynum + fillers for Deron and B Lopez.

if this goes thru; i see both Bynum and Gasol prospering next. Bynum will be the main man and Gasol would have more room to operate inside.

of course Deron will be Deron.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Lakers owner has a hard on for Bynum. He apparently doesn't even like trading him for Dwight Howard. I seriously doubt he'll part with the guy for DWill.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Not true. If NJ sees DW is going to walk for nothing, they'll trade him for Gasol.

The whole key to Deron to LA is can LA acquire Dwight without giving up both Bynum and Gasol. LA's best trade possibility is to combine one of Bynum/Gasol (whichever Orlando prefers) with their expiring and take back long term salary from Orlando, some combination of JRich, QRich, Duhon, Big Baby, or Hedo. If Orlando feels like that is the best deal they can get, and they trade Dwight and all those contracts to Lakers for just one of Bynum/Gasol and a bunch of expirings, then the odds are NJ will trade DWill to LA for the other big when DWill tells them he is going to sign elsewhere. The other ploy DWill still has is he can opt in to New Jersey for his final season if they still don't agree to trade him, then stink up the new arena, and force the Nets to unload him at the deadline for......yeah, you guessed it, either Bynum or Gasol.

Personally, not just because I'm a Rockets fan, I think Orlando is better off to go with our deal over the Lakers. We can give them cap space plus multiple good players, that can be traded for even more draft picks. Our deal gives them a better chance to build a contender in the future. If they trade for Bynum and expirings, they will have cap space, but if Bynum walks, they have NO players. Our youngsters and the draft picks this year gives them young players and a lot more options. And if they trade for Gasol, then apparently they are going to try to trade themselves into contention. Good luck with that. They're spinning the same wheel they've been spinning for a while, taking expiring contracts and trading for guys that other teams want to get rid of. Either that or they've got to trade Gasol back to a team like us and wind up with much less than what they would have if they had just traded Dwight to us straight up.

Irregardless, this coming Wednesday is going to tell us a lot on which direction this thing blows. If the Nets get a top 3 pick, I think it's over. I suspect Orlando will work out a trade with the Nets regarding their pick, a youngster or two like Brooks and NJ taking back Hedo and/or other bad contracts from Orlando.

If the Nets don't get a top 3 pick in the lottery, I believe it is gave over for them getting Dwight and as a consequence they are skating on very thin ice with DWill. In that scenario, I think it comes down to the Lakers and us for Dwight. Some other Eastern Conference team may enter the convo. Perhaps Ainge comes out of his corner and offers up Pierce and Rondo for Dwight. That might interest Orlando. Perhaps the Clippers nut up and offer up Blake and Deandre. Orlando would probably jump on that deal. Perhaps the Bulls come up with Noah/Deng/something else for Dwight after they discover Dwight will extend with them(which will be a significant change on his part, especially with no Rose there next season and no idea what Rose is going to come back as). However, for any other team to come forward with legit trade assets for Dwight, they're gonna have to be able to create the cap room to sign DWill outright to convince Dwight to extend there. Otherwise, they're really not going to offer up serious assets. There's just not that many teams out there.

And don't forget, if we get lucky and get a top 3 pick in the draft lottery and the Nets do not, they we are in the catbird's seat to acquire Dwight.

#33 jopatmc, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  14. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

Its the owner's son, the IDIOT son I might add, who thinks you can replace an all time great with a POS and get the same results.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

so a source said he could be interested in LAL.

STOP THE PRESSES

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

like I said before didn't Dallas clear there roster to try and get deron and the nets aren't trying to get gasol that's a really dumb move

17. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

For argument sake, you think Kobe and Chris Paul wouldn't have been able to co-exist if that deal had still happened?

18. Know Your Role

Gasol hates New Jersey, I know this to be true because I post from a high school.

19. QazQay

QazQay Member

You don't know what the plan was. Maybe the Rockets were planning on later trading for Howard?

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not a match made in heaven. It would have been more difficult than many think.