1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derek Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by watashi315, Dec 7, 2005.

1. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Am I the only one who thinks Derek Anderson is a liability to the team? I mean, he does have good games every once in a while, but they are far and few in between. If we're gonna make any trades this year, we should definitely trade him.

For a "shooting" guard, he sure doesn't make a lot of shots. However, he tends to be trigger happy. Against the Celtics last night, he was 2-9 from the floor and made 0-4 from behind the arch. And a few of those three's were wide open shots created by a penetrating TMAC. Like Drexler said last night, for a shooter, you live for those kind of shots and if you can't make em', you don't deserve to be out on the floor.

Defensively, he's too slow footed to guard penetrations. Faster guards could easily take the ball to the hole against DA. To his credit, he does have "okay" perimeter defnese though and does get a few steals every once in a while.

Am I being too harsh on this guy? Should we give him some more time? What do you guys think?

2. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I actually thought he had one of his better games last night since coming to the Rox (the Pacers and Mavs games were probably his best offensive game). Offensively he had a bad shooting game, but defensively he was very active, getting steals and deflections.

I think he needs time. It's too early to write all the acquisitions off already.

3. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Well I feel the problem is exactly that yesterday was one of DA's better games, and he does seem to be a liability to the team. DA slows down our offense, turns open shots into bad possessions by pump-faking and running it into the defense (which would normally be welcomed except that he has no footspeed left). I don't see DA coming around, it is not like he has played that well in his career, of which he is obviously on the downside of. His release is slow, his shot is broke, his defense is porous, and worst of all he takes ill-advised shots. DA reminds of Jim Jackson last year, in that he hurts us offensively and defensively, except that it just seems he is doing okay. I'm just glad we're only paying him the LLE which means that if he turns into anything productive, he's worth it. DA needs to learn to be a role player (move the ball, actually hit the open jumper, and not try to be TMAC when you have never been him).

4. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

I am just surprised the guy still can dunk -_- :mad:

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I think Derek Anderson is having a hard time trying to fit in.

Who is the 3rd most competent player, after Tmac and Yao, to create for themselves and others? Either Derek or Head at this point.

When Tracy was out, I was hoping he was shooting more like head. I'd rather have Derek trying to be aggressive so maybe he finds his niche in the offense, because being a spot up shooter doesn't look to bright for him.

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Give him some time......he is not T-mac and even T-mac had trouble fitting in when he first got here. I'm sure with time, JVG will take care of him being trigger happy if its that big of a deal. Just give him some time.

7. watashi315

watashi315 Member

JJ actually hit most of his wide open shots. No, JJ may not be a great defender but he was solid as a scorer and can shoot the wide of 3s. Yes, I CRINGE every time DA try to take his man to the hole or do when of his infamous pump fake, turn-around fade away shots.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i am pretty dissapointed in DA. i knew he couldn't play defense but i figured that his shooting, passing, and ball control will negate his weakness.

i was wrong.

he can't shoot. sometimes he gets hot. he is a decent passer and is ok at handling the ball for a sg.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

DA has never , ever, been a great shooter.

He is a decent versitle vet. What more did you expect for an LLE, he makes less than JB does or what we paid Ward last year. He makes far less than Wesley or Sura does, or Mooch. He was not a bad signing, but far too many people here expected the 2000 version when he had an all around game and athleticism (but still no great shot) instead of the 2005 version.

If he picks up his 3 shooting just a little (closer to his career 34%) he will be what I expected. Him and his contract are not one of my worries or major dissappointments.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has lost his quickness, and is no longer a player that can be counted on for big minutes...

I guess if a sorry team like Portland releases you it should be a sign...

DD

11. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I' am not dissapointed because I wasn't expecting much from him. I think his shooting will come around. I actually thing he's starting to fit in slowly but he gets too trigger happy sometimes.

12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

DA has looked better each game and has had some good games. He is the one of the least of our worries.

13. Panda

Panda Member

He has not been a consistent shooter/scorer on the Rox. I'd rather cut him and sign Spree.

14. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

The guy is almost playing for us for FREE, look at his salary. God damn what more of him you ppl want :mad:

15. Panda

Panda Member

Cheapness is not effectiveness.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd be very surprised if DA was still on this team come the end of the season...whether he is traded or just cut. This is assuming he doesn't improve his game, which he really hasn't since he signed that big contract in Portland.

17. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Actually, ever since he started coming off the bench I thought he played well. In a few games I watched lately, he drew a lot of fouls and shoot a high percentage of free throws. His defense is also solid in the last few games. For a guy coming off the bench and with that salary, I actually think he is an effective player.

If he can be consistent with the performance he had in the last few games and his minutes are kept to about 15 minutes per game, I think we should keep him as the 7th/8th player, with that salary.

18. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I bet by the end of this season you will all be singing his praises... We are barely 1/4 of the way through the season, guys. He's coming along.

19. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

DA will not be traded or cut so just forget about it....who could we get back for him anyways...he signed for the LLE, so u cant really complain...he is not that bad, just give him sometime...his shot will come around and his defense, ball handling skills , and steals will come in handy in the future

20. watashi315

watashi315 Member

It doesn't matter how little he gets paid if he costs our team a chance at the playoffs/championships by throwing up airballs and getting turnovers. I don't mind if he gets paid next to nothing and parks his butt on the bench. However, if he's getting plenty of minutes on the floor, no matter how big or small his contract is, I expect him to be effective.