1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Department of Justice argues Civil Rights Act does not protect homosexuals.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Spooner, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Spooner

Spooner Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/nyregion/justice-department-gays-workplace.html
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-lgbt-idUSKBN1AC2DZ
    http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...tice_argues_anti_lgbt_discrimination_is_legal

I posted this in another thread but probably warrants its own thread. Honestly its hard to tell anymore with all of the radical things going on at the moment.

Jeff Sessions' DOJ Argues Sexual Orientation Discrimination Is Not Sex Discrimination

The Department of Justice has just filed a brief arguing the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 does not protect gay workers. Barely 12 hours after President Donald Trump launched a historic assault banning active duty transgender service members, his administration has told a federal appeals court the Civil Rights Act of 1964 does not protect "homosexuals" from discrimination.

Can anyone help me understand what the point of this is?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The past couple of years I've noticed that the Conservative leaning posters on this message board have come to terms with homosexuals. They have accepted them and understand that they deserve equal rights. It's an issue that has been almost completely resolved.

I state this because I bet this thread is going to devolve into a discussion about the merits of homosexuality by these same 'reformed' posters because god emperor and his battered AG have decided it wasn't resolved....

FALL IN LINE!

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Trump Admin sure does throw a lot of red meat to the most regressive parts of their base.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The point is Trump wants his religiosos to be able to disciminate against the gays in all facets of society because "religious freedom", a bull**** term they've invented much like war on Christmas.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Of course the Civil Rights Act of 1964 doesn't protect homosexuals from anything. More importantly, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a gross overreach of government power and is blatantly, flagrantly unconstitutional and should be overturned. The government should not treat homosexuals any differently than it treats anyone else, but that would be the case under the 14th Amendment. Individuals should be able to discriminate against whomever they choose for any or no reason. You don't have to have anyone in your house that you don't choose to have there, and the same should hold true of your business.

6. fchowd0311

So employers have a right to fire someone because they are gay or black?

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So an employer has the right to fire someone because they are Latino or South Asian?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Well if I can marry a dog, then...

/turdlogic

9. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I couldn't care less about gays but I don't agree with the government shutting down a business for not serving gays for religious purposes.

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

This country was founded on religious freedom.

11. fchowd0311

What about firing gays for being gay instead of job performance?

12. fchowd0311

Why is every fight revolving American Christian religious freedom for the past decade revolve around refusal to serve people.

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

It's actually a fight for limited government. They don't want the federal government to interfere into people's lives. Like I said before I don't care if you're gay, straight, black or blue. I care about liberty

14. CometsWin

Your silly arguments are always deeply entrenched in the white male privilege that you're fortunate enough to enjoy in this country. You should thank your lucky stars every day

15. fchowd0311

So why does every one of these fights boil down to refusal to serve people? That seems to be the only thing Christians are complaining about. Refusal to serve people and the inability to fire people for things other than job performance.

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I don't know if that's true or not. All I'm telling you is the core principle of conservatism.

17. fchowd0311

Is to fight for the right to refuse service to people for their sexual orientation or race? Seems petty to me.

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

That's how you see it. How I see is the right to be free from government intervention. If business fires an intelligent hard working employee because of his/her sexual orientation, who do you think suffers here? The business. The employee could always find another job

19. CometsWin

It's one of the last few areas in which the tyranny of the majority has yet to be toppled definitively by the courts. Ironically, there'll inevitably come a time when the tyranny of the majority will be atheist and begin to dismantle religion itself and these religiosos will be running to the court for protection.

20. fchowd0311

No...Just no. The person being fired is the one suffering.