1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denver's Masai Ujiri to be named NBA Executive of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redhotrox, May 8, 2013.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think it's less to do with Morey and more that people want to believe in the Denver model. They really are a feel-good story. They overachieved all year, had a very good record and competed against the elite. It would honestly be wonderful for the league if a team like that of no stars could consistently contend for a title. It would give hope to a lot of franchises.

Unfortunately, as happens 99% of the time, it proved to be a fairy tale. The "star or bust" model is easy to hate, but it's the reality of modern NBA basketball. Many around the league are still in denial.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I agree that stars are necessary for a championship. But it is wholly subjective and even you are in denial of that. You basically judged Harden as a franchise player, when there is a valid argument to be made that he is not one because of his poor defense. Admit that this is a subjective view.

There is no recipe for winning a title in existence. Looking at the past to say that there is is a logical fallacy.

3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

It may have something to do with the way Morey hussled the system for Asik and Lin.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Sorry, if 99% of champions in modern history have something in common, it's not a logical fallacy. It's a common trait. Sure, it's subjective -- in the sense that almost nothing in the world is 100%. But if voters are going to ignore 99% of evidence while clinging to blind hope of the 1% exception to the rule, they should be called idiots (or biased) for doing so.

Harden is an All-Star, voted on by his peers, and has been voted a top 10 player by nearly every ranking conducted over the past season. Yes, those include defense. It's a "subjective" view shared by the clear majority.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey disagrees with you on all front especially the Need for a Superstar to win a championship part.

I guess he doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I guess you don't know how to read since you think I disagree with Morey.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

You disagree Harden is a Superstar right?

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I think he is a in the top 6-10 range behind lebron, Durant, Paul, Carmelo, and Dwight.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

So he's a Superstar right?

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

he's a superstar, but a notch below the elite.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Denver got 1 less win in the season that counts.

12. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

This is an outrage

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

He took a "risk" and landed us Asik.
    Then he turned K-Mart and a pick into Harden.
    And he impressed management by signing Lin the cash cow.

He acquired underrated players for next to nothing like Garcia, Delfino, Brooks, Beverly, and Smith.

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

ThePessimist is such a hater. Harden was great this season, but he wasn't the same after he got injured. No one could stop him the way he attacked the rim for 80% of the season. I think he should have took some time off when he sprained that ankle twice. This wasn't one of them, but in one game he rolled his ankle and he finished the game. He was beasting all game until it happened and after that he finished okay, but not good. Thing is he played in the next game and I think he really should have rested. Those ankle sprains require rest no matter what sport you play.

Also, when you come back early from an ankle sprain, you're more susceptible to rolling it again.

15. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

16. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

BS, this is Moreys

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You think the Royce White situation might have tainted Morey's chances? It's not that big of a blunder IMO, but I think the bad press of it might have been enough to dissuade some people from logically picking Morey.

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

1980- Magic
    1981- Bird
    1982- Magic
    1983- M. Malone
    1984- Bird
    1985- Magic
    1986- Bird
    1987- Magic
    1988- Magic
    1989- Isaiah
    1990- Isaiah
    1991- Jordan
    1992- Jordan
    1993- Jordan
    1994- Hakeem
    1995- Hakeem
    1996- Jordan
    1997- Jordan
    1998- Jordan
    1999- Duncan
    2000- Shaq
    2001- Shaq
    2002- Shaq
    2003- Duncan
    2004- THE ONE EXCEPTION (pistons)
    2005- Duncan
    2006- Wade
    2007- Duncan
    2008- Pierce
    2009- Kobe
    2010- Kobe
    2011- Nowitski
    2012- Lebron

Every championship team has had a take-over-the-game, MVP-level player- and no offense to Kareem, Garnett, but I had to pick these over them. Even going back to the 70s, Warriors had Barry, Trail Blazers had Walton, Celtics had Cowens, etc.

The reason is very simple. You're dealing with 5 players who play both offense and defense. Much easier for 1 player to have a greater impact than, say, baseball or football (although, let's face it, a great QB can have a major impact, etc).

19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Yeah, that`s why Coach Karl deserved the coach of the year award. But executive of the year is a different story.

Which trade was better, the Harden trade or the Igudala trade? I´d say we have a clear winner in the Harden trade (and it was the trade that was way harder to complete).

Which FA signing was better, McGee or Asik? Clearly Asik.

Then we`ve got Andre Miller, who was on the team before, Randolph and Fournier - against Delfino, Lin, Beverly, Brooks, T-Rob, Jones and (gasp) White.

Morey was more active. Morey nailed the biggest moves. Morey had the impossible mission to rebuild without tanking and turned an "old" team without stars into the youngest team with a ton of talent and a legitimate star.

I really don`t understand this award.

20. Asian Sensation

Why's everyone complaining that Morey got robbed? That may or may not be true. What's true is that it will keep Morey from being complacent and keep working hard and looking for ways to improve this team.