1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denver's Masai Ujiri to be named NBA Executive of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redhotrox, May 8, 2013.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

not only did morey get ROBBED this year...

but the fact that the spurs GM has never won the award, despite being the best-run sports franchise in north america (for any sport) in the past 15 years means that this award is a COMPLETE joke.

not a spurs fan at all, but seriously, how has that guy not won this!!!!

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Morey got a young superstar. Superstars are the hardest commodity to come by in this league, especially via trade. Ujiri's four quarters do not equal Morey's dollar.

3. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Well Daryl, you're still No 1 in our hearts ! smooch, smooch, smooch.

4. rocketblood713

I call BS!!!!!

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I guess if the Raptors happen to win 44-45 games next year, they'll give it to Bryan Colangelo.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey will make them all pay this summer

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The only scoreboard that should matter is contending for an NBA title.

In that context, if you can't see that the moves Houston has made over the past year are clearly superior to those in Denver over the same time frame, you're either extremely biased or in denial. Or both.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well the bottom line is that this is not a forward thinking award. Imagine if Morey got the award and got no max player this offseason other than an overrated Josh Smith. That would not make us into a contender and suddenly our cap space is gone. This is an award based in tangible results, not possibilities in the future. If you can't see that it is risky giving out an award because of future expectations, then you are either biased or in denial, or both.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

God, you are so stupid.

10. The Cat

Then it's a ****ing stupid award.

It's not about predicting the future. It's about a thorough analysis of current situations as it pertains to NBA title contention, and that goes beyond wins and losses. If Morey blows that flexibility by signing a maxed-out Josh Smith, that's a reflection of his 2013-14 job performance, not what happened over the past year.

Is it an exact science? Of course not. But nothing is dumber than rewarding a team who sacrifices any long-term vision for the sake of adding a few more regular-season wins in one season on a team with no stars. That's the exact opposite of what builds a contender. While my suggested criteria isn't perfect, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than that.

11. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

It's a point to the person that stated that the Denver GM should win.

Also, for a guy who changed over the ENTIRE roster and still achieved as much as Denver, I would say its a clear win for Morey

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

exactly, you think the award is wrong. I am explaining to you why Morey didn't get the award and what I am saying is correct. The criteria is what you don't like.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Executive_of_the_Year_Award

13. The Cat

By "Realist" logic, Billy King should be livid. He was robbed. By adding maxed-out Joe Johnson and re-signing Brook Lopez on a max deal, he improved the Nets from 22-44 to 49-33! WHAT A STUD!!! If only we could swap Morey for that guy. :(

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So, if the Toronto Raptors actually improved from 34 to 44 wins next season, you would argue that Colangelo should be considered for Eoty.

15. The Cat

There is no stated criteria. Show me where you see it. You're allowed to use your own brain. If you're not r****ded or biased, it should be easy to figure out that a strict comparison of W/L record is a silly way to determine the "best" general manager for a given year, given the ultimate goal of winning titles.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

never said it was a strict wins improvement award. Your entire viewpoint is subjective. Who says Denver isn't markedly close to winning a title? Because they lost to the Warriors? A team that is currently clowning the Spurs, who most people would consider legit title contenders?

YOUR reasoning is that you THINK that the rockets are better positioned for a title than the Nuggets are, which is subjective. The fact that Morey hasn't even made any moves yet and you want to crown him is hysterical.

17. Classic

Classic Member

Get Dwight, win 55+ games and Murray wins next year

18. The Cat

My reasoning is based on NBA history. NBA champions generally have multiple All-Stars. The Rockets acquired one this season while maintaining the cap flexibility to add another in the near future. The Nuggets have zero, added zero and have no cap room going forward. Is that subjective? In your warped delusional mind, maybe. By the standard of any objective observer, it's common sense.

As for "hasn't even made any moves yet", the Rockets acquired a franchise player over the past year. The Nuggets still don't have one. Scoreboard.

19. NotChandlerParsons

Jealousy guys. He'll win it next year like Pat Riley did.

20. NotChandlerParsons

Oops NVM I got my years mixed up, Pat Riley won it the first year of the Big Three. Maybe he'll never win it.

Still, I'm gonna chalk this up entirely to jealousy (it's voted on by other executives).