1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Denver Post] Rockets Still interested in Wells...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by supertruck97, Sep 15, 2006.

1. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Easy there, dude. Less is more. TMI. :D

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

when is the last time that i said krosfyah is my favorite poster of the summer?

3. heypartner

boy, i'm glad to see someone else who remembers this. that said, it's debatable whether horry moves over to the 4 had Herrera not gone done. It was Herrera's position.

That said, it wasn't a lack of play by chucky and pete as much as it was that Horry matched up with Barkley (Pho series) and Rodman (Spurs series) much better. ie, moving those superman rebounders out to the arc so they couldn't get those def rebounds.

like I say, thanks for the memory lane facts. Just want to make sure we remember Thorpe and Carl Herrera were the '95 PFs, and Rudy had to adjust for the playoffs. It is more a testamount of how great Rudy was coaching those teams than it was an example of why Juwan sucks.

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Actually, no. I don't remember. Link please.

Yes, misdirected. Juwan Howard is the LEAST of our concerns right now. You should be more worried about who will knock down 3 pointers and if TMac's back hold up. If both of those things aren't in order, Juwan's play (or lack of) will be irrelevant.

huh? That's just an odd statement and doesn't help your point at all.

It isn't a requirement to have an allstar at every position to win a championship.

Heat started Jason Williams at PG against Jason Terry.
    The spurs started Nazi Muhamad at center one year.
    The last Laker team was a bunch of nothings w/ Shaq and Kobe.
    The Bulls started Bill Wennington.

That's off the top of my head.

We can win with Juwan Howard ...if the other peices fall into place.

5. heypartner

not that it matters one way or another to this debate; I don't think there is a link. But it is true. Herrera was the starting PF after the Drexler trade. He got injured right before the playoffs. Pete Chilcutt started 15 of the playoff games at PF, up until the 4th game against the Spurs. I've tried to find a link for this many times in the past, but can't. However, I have a dozen Rockets media guides. It is in there. It shows Pete starting 15 playoff games.

just a factoid. not really anything one way or another about this running debate.

6. bleh12345

bleh12345 Member

I'm also 99.9% sure that Yao is going to start @ C for us this year. Do I need JVG to tell me about this? :confused:

7. Pocket Rockets

im going to assume you were being sarcastic about not knowing, because that was a key to our turnaround in the series after we lost the 2 home games to the spurs.

yes juwan is the least of my concerns because im not sold with rafer at the point, or snyder at the 2 guard. bonzi would help solidify a lot in the backcourt and would help with the deficiencies of juwan.

i never said we needed an all star at every position.
    jason williams is a pretty good player plus you combine that with payton and they can get by with jason terry, who is not an all star by the way.
    the bulls also had jordan and pippen, with rodman, paxson and armstrong (good shooters), horace grant, ron harper, need i go on? yes wennington was average, which is why i stated earlier that if we get bonzi we are a contender for wcf, that would put us at 4 players to a potential championship team.

you continue to say that the lakers had nobody on their team with shaq and kobe? why?
    horry, fox (proven from celtics), also horace grant, and ron harper, and don't forget glen rice in their first championship season, who was the third leading scorer!

This team can get by with juwan, but it needs a more proven two guard or point guard to acheive it.

8. Pocket Rockets

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Uh, 1 game? That is what you call "took over."

k, thanks.

Carl Hererra would have been the starter, if healthy. He was clearly better than Chilcutt or Chucky. So Carl was a great guy that everybody idolizes around here and I've heard around here that he would clearly be the starter over Juwan.

1995 stats: 6.8ppg, 4.7rpg in 21.8 mpg.

That ain't better than Juwan. ...and Hererra was an upgrade to Pete and Chucky.

We don't need stars at every position to win.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/basket.../24/wells_is_seeking_an_offer_he_cant_refuse/

Which brings us to Houston. The Rockets could certainly use an athletic swingman like Wells. Houston has a $4.2 million trade exception, courtesy of last February's Moochie Norris trade to the Hornets, so it could send the Kings a draft pick in a sign-and-trade. And the Rockets appear to have the payroll room to bring in Wells and not be in luxury tax land.

BASKETBALL NOTES
    Wells is seeking an offer he can't refuse
    By Peter May | September 24, 2006

Most NBA training camps open in the next 10 days, and the player who led everyone in rebounding during the 2006 playoffs is still looking for work. It hasn't quite yet become the Bonzi Wells Groveling Road Show, but it might soon.
    |
    The ex-Blazer, ex-Grizzly, and ex-King was in Charlotte last week, and his agent is trying to generate interest where, to date, little has been shown.

There are several factors at work denying Wells what he thinks he deserves. First is his overinflated view of his value. He turned down a reported $36 million over five years from the Kings , after which the Sacramento brain trust uttered a collective ``whew" and quickly signed John Salmons. That door is closed. The Kings are not interested in reopening it and have no interest in doing a sign-and-trade that would bring in more salary.

If my math is right, Wells decided Sacramento's offer of upward of $7 million a year wasn't sufficient. Now, he's out there trying to hit up teams that either still have most of their mid-level exception available or, in the case of the Bobcats, are well under the cap and conceivably could offer Wells what he wants. The latter would assume that the Bobcats would thus end a three-year pattern of (a) judicious (some might say cheap) spending and (b) signing only guys they deem to be of high-quality character. Wells is many things; the next time he is called a high-quality-character guy will be the first.

But the guy can play and, perhaps, the thinking might go, might be suitably chastened at this point to accept a lot less than he originally rejected and to do so with gratitude and humility. (Yeah, right.) The Kings were understandably concerned about a long-term deal (but apparently offered one nonetheless) because Wells could then be Wells and, well, there's also a guy named Ron Artest on the Sacramento roster. New coach Eric Musselman certainly doesn't need that out of the box.

Wells's agent has been trying to get the Heat to pony up some of Micky Arison's spare cash, and Miami is one of a handful of teams that still has its full $5.2 million mid-level exception available. You might ask why the Heat would need to add a guy like Wells. The counter would be to shake things up a little (it is basically the same group back from last year) as well as to add a swingman who can score and rebound. And with Shaquille O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning around as locker room commandants, Wells wouldn't be allowed to get out of line. Oh yeah, there's also this guy named Riley who is back as well, and the Shaq/Riley window is closing, slowly.

The Pacers, Sixers, and Trail Blazers also have their full mid-level exceptions available, and some other teams (including the Celtics) have a good chunk of it available. (The Celtics dumped a part of theirs on Leon Powe to give the kid three years.) But in the cases of many of these teams, the payroll is close to the level at which the luxury tax kicks in ($65.42 million), making Wells even more expensive.

The Heat's payroll, for instance, is right around $65 million. Thus, any dollar spent on Wells would be doubled in the form of a luxury tax bill. He signs for $5 million. He ends up costing $10 million. That is a formula only Isiah Thomas could love.

So who else is out there? Portland already had Wells once and that was enough. The Warriors are at the luxury tax level (although they did sign Dajuan Wagner Friday.) The Sixers are staying lean; Philly has done nothing this offseason, lending further credence to the idea that the club is on the block. Indiana is right at the luxury tax threshold.

Which brings us to Houston. The Rockets could certainly use an athletic swingman like Wells. Houston has a $4.2 million trade exception, courtesy of last February's Moochie Norris trade to the Hornets, so it could send the Kings a draft pick in a sign-and-trade. And the Rockets appear to have the payroll room to bring in Wells and not be in luxury tax land.

None of this is exactly a trade secret. What remains a bit mystifying is how one player with such obvious skills is still out there, a week or so before the start of training camp. Normally, it's the Walter McCartys of the world who are looking for work at this particular time.

And, yes, Waltah is available. (Just don't tell Tommy Heinsohn.)

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

this article forgot about charolotte... but did explain why the other teams won't sign him.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

just please give him the trade kicker......

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It did: "The ex-Blazer, ex-Grizzly, and ex-King was in Charlotte last week, and his agent is trying to generate interest where, to date, little has been shown."

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

It was noted in the press yesterday that no offer from the Bobkittens was on the table for Bonzi "Fonzi" Wells. Which in my mind, (with the Bobcats out the picture), makes Houston the front leader in the Fonz derby. I just dont see Miami offering him 5mil and paying 10mil for him due to lux tax.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Damn

Spanoulis, TMac, Wells, Battier and Yao

Holy crap!

killa!

16. Pocket Rockets

buddy, if you still don't recall that elie and horry started the last 6 games of the playoffs, then you either have a very bad memory or really wasn't a rockets fan then.

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Anybody know exactly how the numbers would work out if the Heat don't sign Shandon Anderson and try to sign Bonzi instead. How much could they give Bonzi by not signing Anderson w/o paying the Lux Tax. The Heat are taking their sweet time resigning SA and it might be because they want to see what happens to Bonzi.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I am of the same mind. Especially since JVG has gone on record stating the above. He wants the 4 to space the floor/be a perimeter threat on offense and be athletic/long enough to rotate on D.

There are not going to be many 4's available who can defend the best PF's in the West one-on-one, this obviously includes Juwan. So the rest of the team has to be quick, athletic & long enough to place efficient help D and rebound.

A backup 4/5 is insurance because of Deke's age, not because JVG wants a banger down low. If Deke stays healthy this player would only get minimal PT. Otherwise the minutes at PF would be split between Battier, Hayes, Novak and Harryasz/vet via trade or TE/MLE.

I like Raef, but he may be a luxury at this point and Harryasz may be able to grow into this role. If Rockets can only afford one of them, I would rather have a true scorer off the bench, e.g. Darius Miles. Plus Miles can start in place of either Tmac or Battier should one get injured, with minimal change to O & D scheme.

If Bonzi cannot be signed, then Houston should pursue Q Woods to compete with Snyder for the starting SG spot. Both are also competent swings.

The 4/5 backup I would advocate is Malick Badiane. He is cheap, and would only need to be activated off of IR if Deke goes down. This also allows Badiane to develop a better understanding of the NBA game as he would be practicing/coached at NBA level.

19. wozudichter

wozudichter Member

this isn't really happening is it? I can't believe that houston is really a front runner in getting Wells. Is he that much of a liability\cancer?

Praying in chicago...

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Yao-Battier(PF)-Tmac-Bonzi(SG)-Alston is a much better team than Yao-Howard-Battier-Tmac-Alston. Howard in the 1st line-up is a regular high minute sub as a back-up 4 and back-up 5 (split duty with Deke normally, main duty if Deke isn't healthy)

IMO the only way Howard starts is if he is substantially better than any SG not named Tmac. Howard would not be better than Bonzi. He might be better than Snyder/Head/VSpan.

We are a better team going smaller and more athletic around Yao, Howard does not fit this. With Bat-Tma-Bonzi in the 4-3-2 spots we are not exactly small or poor rebouding even if Bat doesn't have typical 4 size or girth.

Getting Bonzi gives us a chance to cause more match-up problems to opponents than any can cause us. He would get us as a legitimate title contender with good health.