1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Denver Post] Alcohol, Hard Drugs Led to Suspension for Birdman

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by countingcrow, Sep 4, 2006.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://www.denverpost.com/spears/ci_4281473

Birdman flying straight, narrow

By Marc J. Spears
    Denver Post Staff Columnist
    DenverPost.com

"So what will you be drinking?" the waitress at earl's in Littleton asked.

"I'll get a pineade," Chris Andersen said.

Pineade is the former Nugget's own sweet mix of pineapple juice and lemonade. It is the new Larkspur resident's beverage of choice in his recovery from a destructive stint with alcohol.

On Jan. 27, the NBA suspended the former New Orleans/ Oklahoma City Hornet for a minimum of two years for violating the league's drug policy with a first positive test for "drugs of abuse." Andersen, in his first interview since the suspension, told me this past week that it was his use of alcohol that led to the ruination of his NBA career.

"I tell people I don't drink anymore and they look at me sideways," Andersen said. "Then they'll say, 'Seriously, let me buy you a drink.' And I'll say, 'I don't do that any more.' Some of them don't know what happened to me. But the ones that do, they respect me more for that. A couple people have told me I'm a big inspiration to them."

The undrafted 6-foot-10, 228-pounder won the hearts of Nuggets fans with his high-flying dunks, hard-nosed hustle and hairdo changes over three seasons. After one year with the Hornets, he signed a four-year, $14 million contract last summer. Soon after "The Birdman" crashed. Hard.

A lengthy relationship with a Denver woman ended shortly after he signed his new contract. His next stop was the New Orleans bars. Then came Hurricane Katrina, which damaged his home and sent him into depression. After Ander- sen evacuated to Denver, he tried to pick himself up at the LoDo bars. The two-time NBA dunk contest participant arrived in Oklahoma City for preseason workouts bulked up by 25 pounds. But the extra weight grounded his athleticism. Combined with the difficulty of adjusting to Oklahoma City, he sank further mentally and his next stop was the town's Bricktown bars.

Andersen said he also experimented twice with hard drugs, which he declined to name, just before Christmas a year ago. On Dec. 26, he was given a random drug test by the league. He thought enough time had elapsed for the drugs to leave his system. Nope. An NBA security official called him Jan. 23 to tell him of his failed test, which led to an immediate suspension.

Andersen is the first NBA player kicked out of the league for drug use since Stanley Roberts in 1999. The first was Denver native Micheal Ray Richardson 20 years ago. Andersen's appeal failed and his contract was voided. He said he has saved enough money to get him through the suspension. The NBA declined comment.

"(NBA commissioner David Stern) did what he was supposed to," Andersen said. "I'm not going to sit back and complain about it. I'm going to take my medicine, and show him I'm capable of being a man and stepping up to the plate. If he never did that, I wouldn't be feeling as good as I feel today."

Andersen began his journey to feeling good in mid-February, when he voluntarily entered an alcohol rehabilitation clinic in Malibu, Calif., that cost $50,000. He completed the 30-day program and said he hasn't touched alcohol or drugs since.

"Not a day goes by where I don't think about (alcohol), because I do," Andersen said. "Any recovering addict does. That's one of the things I've learned from rehab, every day I go through my day and think about it. But I pray to God that he gives me a strong mind and gets me through the day without having to resort to that."

The NBA's suspension for drug offenders is understandably strict. Andersen not only can't play in the NBA, he's barred from competing overseas because FIBA respects the suspension. FIBA prevented Roberts from playing in Turkey in 1999. The NBA's Development League and Continental Basketball Association also are off limits.

Andersen's best option? The American Basketball Association (the much weaker new version). Not long ago, you could purchase a team for $10,000. Seriously. Do you remember the defunct Colorado Storm? Didn't think so. Team owners in the ABA include Allen Iverson's mom and Sports Illustrated writer Alexander Wolff. The 2006 ABA All-Star Game MVP was 44-year-old Armen Gilliam.

While the NBA understandably kicked him out, I believe the league should now put its arm around Andersen and help his recovery. What would it hurt for the NBA to allow Andersen to suit up for the expansion NBADL Colorado 14ers? Isn't losing the majority of a $14 million contract and being kicked out the league punishment enough? The minor- league team could give the 28-year-old without a college degree a chance to keep his skills sharp and live a positive life. It also would give the interested Broomfield team a marquee name player.

"If he's demonstrated strong rehabilitation, we'd certainly be interested," said Gary Hunter, the president and CEO of the 14ers' parent company. "It's all subject to the NBA's rules and guidelines."

Andersen, who is working out daily, said: "It would definitely help me out to play. Staying in shape. Staying on top of my game. Improving on areas in what I need to improve."

Don't expect the NBA to budge despite its motto, "NBA Cares." And now more than ever, Andersen needs the NBA to care about him. He's willing to take more than just the mandated random drug tests. If he fails again, then it's his fault, not the NBA's. But if he succeeds, a great motivational story could help change more lives.

"I am extremely pleased to hear that Chris is working hard to improve himself and would encourage him to continue to look towards the future rather than focusing on the past," Hornets owner George Shinn said.

Hopefully, Stern will look toward the future, too, by having a change of heart over a glass of pineade with Andersen.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Can't wait for the article on Ryan Bowen and his constant struggles playing with two left feet.

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

LOL! thats hilarious

4. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

5. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

Sad to see these guys throw their lives/careers in the toilet....Maybe years from now when nobody will offer them a mint for their services they will think back to when they shat where they ate.....

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why doesn't he just try to get a spot on one of the Euro teams? As an NBA caliber player he should be able to have at least as much success as Badiane.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think the punishment is excessive. You can strangle your coach and be back in no time, but this guy gets kicked out for life?

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't understand why he's prevented from playing in europe. i get the two year suspension from the nba but should some euro club want him, that should be up to them.

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

his real test will be in the locker room when/if he ever wins a championship. that's gonna be tough.

10. kingkow

kingkow Member

YEAH he better go to CBA and play for some crappy team and become MVP

just a random thought

11. uchlha

uchlha Member

if u guys bothered reading the article fiba cba nbdl are also offlimits for him. that includes euros

12. StupidMoniker

He should go play in the Philipines then.

13. kingkow

kingkow Member

isn't that FIBA also?

OMG FIBA OWNAGE

14. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I think this is a two-year ban.

Also on another note, Armen Gilliam is 42, not 44.

15. StupidMoniker

I think they have two:
    The Basketball Association of the Philippines, which is associated with FIBA
    Philippine Basketball Association, which is independent
    I checked and they have different teams.

16. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Why does everyone have to blame their problem to depression now days? Okey, you are young and you made a mistake. We all understand that. But blaming your problems to Katrina??? Come on birdman, I have always liked you, don't let me down.

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OMG, there is actually an NBDL team called the Colorado 14ers! They have a logo and everything!

[​IMG]

What the heck does the 14 stand for? Colorado became a state in 1876, so that's not it. Did they just throw a bunch of numbers into a hat and pull out 14?? Whatever it means, somebody should tell Broomfield that giving your team a nickname that's a number only sounds good if that number is over 20.

Hell, since the team is located in Broomfield, they should have named it the Colorado Brooms...

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

A-Train, it appears to be a reference to the highest mountains in Colorado (those higher than 14,000 feet above sea level)

http://www.14ers.com/

19. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

That would be correct.

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I mean, seriously...The 14ers? Does anybody outside of Colorado know what that means?

That officially overtakes "Utah Jazz" as the worst team name in pro sports...