1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denver man shoots right-wing nut in self-defense

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Was the fear reasonable when the guy backed off from physical distance ?

Was the fear credible when there were dozens of other people around , including police ?

That old fat guy wasn't going to do much physical harm prior to the police arriving on the scene which was within seconds - and everyone in the building knew they were there.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't have all the facts. My assertion is more about the law. His conviction will based on if fear of personal harm that justified deadly force was reasonable.

#162 rockbox, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    jiggyfly, mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is the key question whether it's reasonable.

Again I have no problem saying that Keltner did assault Dollof both from the slap and the mace but is lethal force reasonably appropriate to that?

The fear of escalation goes to escalation to what? The justification of lethal force is to counter a lethal threat. So far nothing I've seen shows that what Keltner was doing could be considered obviously escalating to lethal force.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is where self-defense get's subjective. Dollof's defense will obviously be that he feared for his life. Just stating you were afraid isn't enough though as the key is what does the prosecutor and later jury consider reasonable?

If someone pushed me and I killed him I certainly might be fearful that the person pushing me was going to escalate but it will be hard to argue that it was a reasonable response.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is not just his life, but the life of the person he is guarding. He can not retreat because he is there to protect someone as well.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It is not just to counter a lethal threat it is also to counter reasonable fear of serious bodily injury. Just read the law dude.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

~10-15 feet between you and an "assailant armed with a can of mace" and you have him at gunpoint.

You tell me who should be fearful ?

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The link you posted of CO law references appropriate force. I referenced that early.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Again it's not a question of retreat. It's a question of appropriate force.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

A question to you do you believe that mace likely will cause serious bodily injury?

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Held him at gunpoint?

Da****?

How do you hold somebody at gunpoint when you have bear mace in your eyes?

You are not even trying to make sense now.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The question is can the mace sprayer cause serious bodily harm after he has maced you.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That's not the right question that should be asked. The question is what was the purpose of spraying mace? If it was to render him unable to defend himself or the person he was there to guard, then that is assault with a deadly weapon as the mace is a conduit to further violence.

That's why it's not just about the shooter but the shooter and the person they were guarding. If you go up to a cop and spray them with mace, you might get shot, do you agree?

You say that because of the mace the cloud is this there and so he can't go in and attack him. But it's not clear A) how long the mace cloud is there preventing an attack, and B) whether he would go after the cameraman who is now defenseless.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Again that's speculative but I will say in this situation not likely. If you spray a cloud of mace at someone and then try to disarm them you will mace yourself.

Further I find this argument very problematic because that would justify nearly every LEO shooting on the basis where the suspect tries to fight, whether they try to reach for the LEO's gun or not, they could knock them out and take their gun. In otherwords it's not the immediate threat but the follow on threat that might happen next.

King1 and Corrosion like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm just going to ask you again - Do you believe deadly force was justified ?

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except by definition if the mace cloud disperses that would also give Dollof and others enough time to recover and/or escape.

Also I can see that few people here have much experience with mace.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Once again you are acting like these people have a checklist to go through before the action and you can let the spray dissipate some or the guy getting sprayed can move out of that area due to panic.

I can play these what ifs games all day if I wanted, all of your arguments are speculative and don't matter because it's what the shooter reasonably thought and if a jury can certainly be swayed to think the mace could incapacitate him, I mean that's what mace is for.

I am not saying this shooting was justified and I don't agree with stand your ground laws but its not crazy to think what would happen if a guy who already slapped me could do much worse after he sprayed mace into my eyes.
    I am just going by the extremely murky guidelines of reasonably thought. For some reason you seem to be dismissing that out of hand or seem to be arguing that the only factor is if the mace would do bodily harm.

The mace sprayer is the immediate threat not the actual mace and if somebody has already slapped you what why would you think the mace is the only actual threat, the mace spraying is not in a vacuum.

Come on RK that makes no sense.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just because you keep asking me that does not mean you can keep ducking my questions.

For the record I don't think deadly force is justified is most things, where you not arguing that deadly force was justified by homeowner because the girl stole the Trump sign?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am starting to see why you and Fisher are sworn enemies.

You can be a bit obtuse.

And no the would not have time because he sprayed it in their face.

#179 jiggyfly, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It doesn't matter if by definition mace would disperse after x amount of time.

What matters is what a reasonable person would expect to happen next. No, I'm not an expert in how mace works but I have the impression that it will blind me for a period of time running into the minutes. Being blind certainly makes me vulnerable - making it hard to retreat, to see what is going on, and to defend myself.

Is it not reasonable for most people to fear getting maced by someone who is not acting in self-defense but in a hostile context? The guy was trying to attack the camera man. The guard interfered and put his arm in between them. The guy then struck him and attempted to mace him. Presumably a case can be made that once maced the guard would not be able to defend the cameraman.

Not saying whether that is rooted in the reality of how mace works. But context to the situation and how the shooter should reasonable assess the situation and what their choices were are critical.