1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dental: Deep Cleaning- Is it a scam???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Sep 29, 2008.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Do you grind your teeth at night?

If so, a $500 mouthguard can help save you from spending 10k-15k down the line.

If you don't, then they should give you an explanation on why you need a mouthguard.

2. tenguin

tenguin Member

taking risks with your teeth is the same as gambling on life. remember when you breathe, the nose and mouth leads air to your lungs. if it gets bad in your mouth, you can actually die from lung issues. ive seen a few cases where a simple abscess leaves people in a coma for weeks at a time and some ultimately die.

but hey, 175 bucks is a lot of money for some people

3. tenguin

tenguin Member

i actually have to get one six months ago bc i was waking up with headaches. i was grinding my teeth real bad

4. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

^^
    Great points...

...but beyond that, and probably more importantly, periodontal issues are a leading cause of heart disease and multitude other issues.

Don't skimp on your oral health, people. Brush, floss and pay you're mf'n dentist/dental hygienist.

Short answer: no, it is not a scam.

added edit:
    (if anybody is looking for a TOP NOTCH dentist/dental hygienist with soft hands: email me through the board or reply here)

#84 Disciple of RP, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yup, if you have perio issues, it doesn't matter how healthy your teeth are…If you don't have a solid foundation (gums/bone), then nothing else matters.

It's always a constant battle with patients…because nothing hurts, then it means nothing needs to be done. Nothing more frustrating than telling a patient, that hasn't seen a dentist in over 10 years, that I recommend a deep cleaning…then having her go on Google and tell the world that Im trying to scam her.

1 person likes this.
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My mouthguard is a lifesaver (for my teeth).

Anyone who grinds their teeth while sleeping should get one from a dentist.