1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denny's choking/strangulation case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Right and you are an example of someone who wants to lynch the victim in this case. I accept that.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I saw some evidence the prosecution wanted to present last week that made it in. The victim picking another fight on surveillance and i believe that person who he was picking the other fight with testified for the prosecution. Its gonna be hard to convict the accused of anything simply because the victim isn't sympathetic.

Bottom line his inebriation is the overriding factor or at least its hard for jurors to dismiss

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Oh. Ok, I see where you are going with this. Well, the killer was charged and went to trial and may go to trial again. His law enforcement wife was also charged and lost her job over this incident. My guess is that they are sorry they chose to intervene. Don't tell me they couldn't have avoided getting involved until uniformed police had arrived. You don't know that.

You and I were not on the jury, so we don't know exactly what happened because we haven't heard all the testimony. And even then, it depends on what you want to believe.

edwardc likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't think he should go to jail for life. I don't even believe in the death penalty. I believe that heat of the moment decisions have consequences. It's like the guy who gets in a fight and decides that curb stomping is ok. It's like the drunk guy getting into the car.

The Thompon's had a clear choice to let go of Hernandez and chose not to. The choke killed him and they have to pay the piper. It's a bad decision that they now regret. Like the Pharmacist that went back and shot the robber in the head after he was already wounded on the ground.

edwardc and Newlin like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, they likely hate that they were attacked by a minority and not a white person because the ethnic background of the attacker is the only reason they were charged.They should have noticed the different color skin and just run away.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

Dude murder is murder. Negligent homicide is Negligent homicide. Being a drunk guy, or a robber

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/43710936/...acist-sentenced-life-killing-would-be-robber/

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

8. REEKO_HTOWN

He wasn't a cop. He did take BBJ classes on weekends though.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....and it was neither murder or manslaughter legally. Self defense is a legal defense against either charge and the victim was clearly attacked by the drunk pisser. Just admit you want him lynched due to the skin color of those involved, it's okay, everyone knows anyway.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sorry i thought they were both cops. My bad

11. REEKO_HTOWN

Holy Projection Batman!

I don't care if he choked a white guy or a purple guy. If Terry would have punched him in the face so hard that the guy died the next day in his sleep I wouldn't bat an eye.

If I fight you Bobby and i get a choke hold on you, you're tapping out, going purple and people are telling me to stop because I'm killing you would you say I have all the right not just ignore and finish you off? I have a soul, I would let go and wait for the cops like a decent human being.

Newlin, DonnyMost and pgabriel like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are assuming intent in your example and there was no such intent....especially given that CPR was performed by the accused when it was realized that he was not breathing.

This was nothing more than an unfortunate accident that happened while attempting to subdue a drunk attacker. If the deceased was white and the victim was black or Hispanic, this wouldn't be a story and there wouldn't be charges. That's just how it is.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

No, he wasn't a cop. His wife was a cop, and she got fired over this incident.

pgabriel likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

The only reason this story got big was the video. It’s gruesome. The video showed a fat man choking a guy to death while people were screaming for him to get off.

That and because there was actually a cop there, not attempting to save the guys life.

Newlin likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they had immediately let the attacker up, don't you think he'd have continued the attack?

Forcibly subduing an attacker, especially a drunk attacker, never looks pretty, but that doesn't mean that the victim is trying to kik the attacker, just prevent the attack from continuing.

The only reason the story got so big was the presumption of racism. Make it two people of the same race and ethnicity and it's not worth a second look because despite the fluke outcome, things like this happen all the time.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Yep.

The defendant had the man subdued. He was no longer a threat. Instead of just maintaining control, he chose unwisely to continue to applying deadly force, and he killed him.

Given no intent, this is basically manslaughter 101.

This case will be re-tried, and Thompson will be convicted.

Should Thompson be punished? I don't know. I'm not sure that will help anyone.

But, if we don't convict in situations like this, then manslaughter might as well not be a law anymore.

Nook, REEKO_HTOWN and Newlin like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Self defense is a legal defense for manslaughter, if you convict in situations like this, then self defense might as well not be a legal defense anymore.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Wow you had to take it there really they should have just waited for a uniformed officer to get on the scene.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sounds like a wild animal. Should kill to check for rabies.

Which one? Who cares??

DEATH!!!

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Like i said, they should have seen that the person who was attacking them had a different color skin and known that means they don't have the right to defend themselves. If they had just run away and waited for cops to arrive they wouldn't become double victims