1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denny's choking/strangulation case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jun 7, 2017.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think it was closer to manslaughter than murder, but I'm glad the guy got convicted. Also, Bobby was right about chokes. Just a public service announcement to everyone. They happen extremely quickly and unless you've been subjected to a blood choke then you won't know how quick they happen. When your carotid arteries are closed off you have about 3 to 5 seconds to react to get the hell out or tap. I've been choked out twice and both times it was because I didn't tap in time. You think you are good...until you aren't. Your brain will still slightly be working but your limbs won't respond and you can't tap.

The guy who was killed was not killed due to a blood choke though from what I could tell. You can also get choked simply by chest compression and it is ****ing brutal. I've tapped out to that before and you think you are alright until you realize you physically can't breath because you can't expand your chest to get air. The other type of choke would be compression of the trachea which is an air choke and those take longer, but they are ******* brutal.

2. Granville

Granville Member

Justice was served.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

25 years

4. mockster

mockster Member

Is this the same one where the dude was drunk peeing in the bushes outside of dennys and the cops husband killed him?.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes. This guy will forever regret getting involved in this. Just walk away and call 911.

Nook and J.R. like this.
  6. mockster

mockster Member

It’s a pretty tricky situation to say the least. Yeah I agree shouldn’t of been a busy body but didnt the guy peeing throw the first punch/attack him first or no?

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm not going to get into all the evidence and all. I wasn't in the courtroom, so a I didn't hear all the evidence. But, I think he probably could have avoided a physical confrontation if he really wanted to. Just let the cops handle it, that's their job.

mockster likes this.
  8. mockster

mockster Member

Like I said it sounds like a tricky situation, not sure how intentional it was but he was still in the wrong. Think the sentence is a little harsh. Like you said though have to see the evidence but I mean self defense should be plausible if he did attack first even if he did call the guy out. But unsure how intentional the murder actually was and how accidental it might of been. Obvioisly both them don’t seem to be the most upstanding grown men.

I agree kind of but as citizens we shouldn’t just let things happen infront of us, police are just a public service citzens don’t have to be useless but this is just a drunk guy peeing not like he was stopping a robbery.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Sentenced 25 years. What a joke.

I’ll bet on him not living to make it out.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when the murderer's wife goes to trial. I mean she could have stopped the murder from happening, but she chose not to. She got fired from her job, so law enforcement clearly felt she failed to do the right thing.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Murder Charge against Chauna Thompson dropped

Prosecutors said after a thorough review of all the evidence, there was no way to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she had committed a crime.

“Courts have often said the role of a prosecutor is to do justice not to simply convict,” First Assistant District Attorney Tom Berg said. “Our action today is based on the lack of evidence to convict somebody and our ethical obligation not to go forward. To be clear, Ms. Thompson’s former employment as a deputy sheriff played no role in our decision to dismiss, just as it played no role in our original decision to present the case to a grand jury.”

The decision to request a dismissal was made after prosecutors met with Hernandez’s parents, widow and their supporters.

“We hope that sparing the Hernandez family the ordeal of a third trial will help them move on with their lives, though we know this does not bring back their loved one,” Berg said.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...gainst-chauna-thompson-in-john-hernandez-case

On Wednesday, prosecutors said that they cannot show that Chauna Thompson had intended to injure or kill Hernandez, saying that she was not at the scene from the beginning of the confrontation. They said she performed CPR on Hernandez, which showed she was trying to save him.

"We've had more than eight lawyers look at the case, reviewing the records and transcript to see if there was some way we could bring a valid criminal case against her with sufficient evidence that we believe we could prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, because that's ultimately our burden to do," said Tom Berg, first assistant Harris County District Attorney. "We have to acknowledge that we can't."

Berg said that prosecutors aren't saying that they believe Chauna Thompson is void of responsibility in the case, and the civil case against the Thompsons can proceed.

"We're not finding her innocent by any stretch of the imagination, but we can't go forward in a criminal case," Berg said.

"We have to see justice, and sometimes justice, for us, is disappointment," Berg added.

FIEL Houston released a statement that read:

"Justice is not always just or fair. Charges have been dropped against (C)hauna Thompson in the John Hernandez case. Its a very complex case and at the end of the day the DA did not think there was enough evidence to convict her. Its a hard pill to swallow but I ASK that we center on what the family wants which is to close this dark chapter in their lives. At the end Justice is subjective. The Hernandez Family will NEVER have true justice because this should have never happen to begin with. John should still be here... in the end whether on heaven or earth may there be #JusticeForJohn."

Chauna Thompson was fired from the Harris County Sheriff's Office three months after the fight. Sherrif's Office officials said that an appeal of her termination is being reviewed by the Civil Service Commission.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Somerville considers hiring ex-deputy involved in murder outside of Denny's

The Mayor of Somerville is holding a rally to stop the hiring of Chauna Sheffield, the former Harris County deputy who was at the center of a controversial death.

Chauna Thompson, who now goes by the last name of Sheffield, was indicted for murder in the death of John Hernandez, who was choked to death outside of a Denny's restaurant in 2017.

Sheffield was hired by the Sommerville Police Department but then later let go.

Police Chief Craig Wise said the item on the council agenda was whether or not to give him permission to offer her a job.

Wise said he has been looking for a candidate for six months but can't find anyone to take the job for $15 an hour.

The chief said he told council they could raise pay to bring in more candidates.

Wise said he has subsequently gone to the city manager and ask that the agenda item be removed.

Somerville Mayor Micheal Bradford posted on Facebook that there is a rally outside the city council meeting on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. to oppose the hiring of Sheffield.

"Now seriously folks... do we really want an officer who was involved with a murder patrolling our streets with a gun & badge?" he said in a post.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/S...officer-associated-with-2017-murder-case.html

Residents in Somerville are expressing concerns about a potential new hire for the police department. Residents are expected to gather Tuesday night to protest at the city council meeting.

The city's mayor is also concerned about re-hiring a police officer who served a short time in Somerville. KBTX has learned Chauna Thompson was hired by Somerville police last year.

Somerville Police Chief Craig Wise said she served about five months but was fired about six months ago after the mayor and others in the community found out about her past. He said normally he is responsible for hiring new staff as well as the city administrator. Now, the Chief is taking the employment option to the council to ultimately decide.

Chief Wise declined an on camera interview but said he was trying to stay impartial on her potential re-hire. Wise said Thompson, whose last name is now Sheffield, didn't have any complaints when working in Somerville. He also showed KBTX documents showing the criminal case was dismissed and she was honorably discharged from the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

Residents plan to rally Tuesday to express their concerns. Monday afternoon Lucinda Murphy and neighbors had made signs to protest Thompson serving their community.

"She is not a good fit for Somerville. She's bringing too much baggage," said Murphy.

"I do have serious concerns. I think that you know judgment is key to all of our jobs but particularly so for police officers and that appears to be a huge lack of judgment in her personal life in Houston," said Somerville Mayor Micheal Bradford.

Council member Skipper Murray is open to the hire.

"My personal feelings are, yes I'm willing to hear her out and look at the possibilities," said Murray.

"I hope that any of us can learn from our mistakes and improve upon them. If she made any mistakes, the courts didn't find it. Should we?," he said.

Murphy said the time is not right with so much scrutiny on law enforcement over the death of George Floyd.

"She is not good for Somerville. I think that Somerville can do much better than that and we do not have to settle for less," said Murphy.

Chief Wise also told said he's had trouble finding applicants for that position because pay is only $15 an hour.

The council meets Tuesday at 6:15 p.m. at the Somerville Senior Center.

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The dude had too much grease on his bacon, and the eggs was too runny. The indigestion led to a violent brawl.