1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denied promotion, Jason Kidd gets OK to talk with Bucks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 28, 2014.

1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

How is this a coup for Milwaukee exactly? GM John Hammond has done a fine job as GM in getting talent together and making sure the Bucks build up nicely, he got them good young talent in Jabari, Greek Freak and a bunch of good guys in Henson and Sanders. Compared to guys like Dumars or the other deadbeat GMs in the East he's done a great job compiling talent, in a couple of years the Greek Freak/Jabari combo might end up being the best in the league.

Kidd might end up with the Bucks but it is sorely due to his personal ties and not anything with what he's accomplished. Air of legitimacy are you kidding me? Someone with zero experience in being a GM and 1 year of exp being a coach brings you legitimacy? You think spilling coke on the floor gives him cred lol. MJ was considered a GOAT and nobody saw him as anything more than a joke when he was GM, same thing with Isiah Thomas who was probably a better pg than Kidd. Being a great pg when he was playing won't prevent him from drafting the wrong player or being ignorant of cap rules.

If I'm a franchise with a deadbeat GM I'm picking Hammond and the Bucks coach as soon as they get replaced.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

wifebeating POS.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Btw, you guys need to check out that realgm thread. That's a cool story in itself.

6. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I see your point that Kidd lacks experience, but I do think you are underestimating the gravity that someone him brings to their organization.

As a recently retired player I think words from Kidd to a young player would carry more weight than words from a coach like Larry Drew who I honestly know nothing about. The NBA is a players league unlike the NFL and if the guys aren't buying in to what the coach has to say then he is DOA, no matter how good the scheme is. We'll have to see how it plays out but I'd be all over this if I were Milwaukee. Surround him with a good staff and let him be the motivator.

As far as him being GM, admittedly I have no idea what Kidd would be like (and truthfully, neither do you) but I do think he can be a strong recruiter. Player movement for the top guys is all about relationships as seen with Chandler/Fegan helping us land Dwight, the shenanigans in Miami, and contemporary stars' disinterest in playing with Kobe. Again we'll have to see how it all plays out. I may be more of a gambler than you but I roll the dice on this one if I'm Milwaukee.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem with this line of thinking is that the NBA isn't college, if Kidd comes up to with a 8M contract and some dude who is 30 pounds overweight looks like the only thing he dunks is donuts offers you 15M which would you choose?

If all Kidd was doing is being coach, then fine after all the Rox are doing the same thing with Mchale as the motivator/recruiter and assistant coaches to provide the technical know-how. However Kidd doesn't just want a coaching gig, he wants Popovich style control over both GM and coaching duties. While you can definitely argue that Kidd can apply the skills/exp he had as a player when being a coach, there is almost no correlation to being a player to a GM and we've seen multiple examples of non-players being awesome GMs while amazing NBA players being horrible GMs. What does Kidd know about scouting players, evaluating draft picks and salary cap management? You're right I don't know if he'll be good as a GM, but I do know someone who is already good at it: Hammond.

If I'm the Bucks GM I'd have a serious discussion with the owner, he set the franchise up for success then Kidd comes in when the heavy lifting is done? And if you're the Bucks owner you've got some screws loose if you replace Hammond after he landed Jabari Parker, Greek Freak and Sanders. This'd be like Les Alexander replacing Morey with Tmac after Dwight Howard signed to team up with Harden. There's no point to "rolling the dice" IMHO, the best case is you get a guy as good as Hammond and worst case is you get Billy King 2.0.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Also as an added point I think you're overstating the ability to "recruit" that RETIRED players have. When Lebron or Parsons or Wade or whoever recruits, it's with the intention that they will be playing together, so that has a lot of weight when Wade says for example he's gonna help LBJ win not 1, not 2, not 3, but really just 2 rings. When Kidd recruits, players might respect him more than your average GM but they won't play for him just because he was an Ex player, other factors like $$$, the quality of the team and the city itself play a larger part, if this weren't the case multiple marquee players would be playing for the Charlotte Hornets by now, are you going to argue that Kidd has more star power than Michael Jordan himself?

Anyway we'll have to wait and see, however if Kidd does become the Popovich of Milwaukee I'll know who the next joke franchise of the NBA is, we seem to get one every generation from Portland, to NYN, to Bobcats. Maybe it's time for the Cavs to pass the crown to someone else.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Kidd's ego is out of control. He clearly thinks he's the next Popovich.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Should the Rockets hire Jason Kidd as President of Basketball Operation?

11. Postcall

Postcall Member

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Oh man. Why. It was a good fit. I dislike the nets and i dislike Kidd. I was going to start rooting for thw bucks next year. But not if Kidd is there coach.

I do approve of Jackson becoming the head coach of the nets. I also dislike him. But please do not let hollins or jvg become the new coach of the nets.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

After the job well done Kidd delivered in his rookie season as HC, I would promote him to owner. He deserves no less. Better future than Pop.

14. torocan

torocan Member

Too early for Kidd to be making a play for King's job, on the other hand Billy King is terrible so I wouldn't want to answer to him either.

I think half the posters on Clutchfans would be better with roster and cap decisions than Billy King. And the other half wouldn't do any worse.

As for being President of the bucks, I honestly think they'll be fine. It's not like Kidd would be doing the scouting himself. He'll pull a PJ/Doc and hire other guys to do the dirty work, but focus on building a cohesive vision for the team (IE, his vision).

That could turn out badly, but it will never be as bad as when you have a GM and Coach on completely different pages. Most likely mediocre results if anything.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Pretty sure that realgm poster that broke this is now in a Russian prison. His twitter account is the same username as the one on realgm, and includes his full name. He hasn't posted for several hours. I'm sure they have now "fixed the leak."

16. MemphisX

MemphisX Member

WTF? The team tried to make the playoffs in the East, spent money and ended up with the worse record in the league. Dude paid a weed head who is in rehab before his extension kicked in already.

17. Blake

Blake Member

He is a wife beater

18. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

And from all indications, is just a generally bad person. The Nets should've never hired him in the first place.

20. Commodore

Commodore Member