1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democrats Use Sock Pupets To Mock Speakers in Debate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc sports, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Making certain that Texans are represented by the way they vote is not useless bullchit to me.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nevermind!

:D

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How do you explain the Republican districts that vote Democrat.

It is bull**** when it's only done every 10 years, but the Republicans want to change it when they finally get a majority.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

So, it is fine to redraw districts whenever your faction is in power, despite the LAW that says that redistricting is done once every decade.

I guess Republicans just think they can bend and break whatever laws are too inconvenient for them.

BTW, it doesn't matter that the districts were drawn by judges, they have been drawn for this decade.

5. Major

Major Member

Making certain that Texans are represented by the way they vote is not useless bullchit to me.

Except that Texans ARE represented by the way they vote. No doubt the Democrats gerrymandered districts to their advantage, but from what I understand, there are 5 currently Republican districts that still vote for Democratic congressman. In all the state elections, those districts voted Republican. That says its not the district that's messed up, but the quality of Republican candidates for Congress in those districts sucks. If those districts were to vote for their own party, Texas would already be properly represented in Congress in terms of party affiliation

6. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

here! here! As long as it isn't wanton gerrymandering...

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's ashamed that it wasn't the legislators using the puppets. That would have been hilarious. I think that kind of thing is what we need more of. Politics can be both serious and fun too. Parliment is often entertaining to watch.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good lord, people... get a grip. It was spectators in the gallery. B-Bob, you and Major beat me to it. I've been trying not to post about this ongoing travesty. What's going on is terrible for the people of this state, not just for Democrats. And hell yes, that's just my opinion.

King is just one of DeLay's tools. They litter the Capitol. Time will show us what the payoff is for them, beyond the redistricting.

I hope this is thrown out by the courts. The embarrassment would be sweet to see, if the actors had a conscious. They don't, so there will be no pleasure in the irony... should that come to pass. And I think it will, based on disenfranchising minority voters. And that's my opinion as well.

Cohen, at least 6 current Democratic members of the House were elected from Republican districts. They just might like their representation. You just don't get it. Check out the facts. This is about DeLay wanting to pad his majority in the House at the expense of Texans. It's not about disenfranchised Republicans. The last is also my opinion. As some of you are rubbing your hands in gleeful anticipation, you should bother to check out some of the facts. It wouldn't kill you.

9. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Hey, we just had the Lieutenant Gov. piss in a jar behind a curtain to hold a filibuster for 15 straight hours. LOL I'll take pissing in a jar over running away to Oklahoma and sock puppets anyday of the week, even if the sock puppet morons were just little Democrat apparachitiks. I guess this is proof our increasing ill-mannered society at work.

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

If that were actually true, it would be a good point.

As for the deficit, they passed a budget. No deficit.

I think the special session is a waste of time and money, but you (collectively) can't say they have better things to be done in Austin like the budget because they did the budget already. They need to go back to the law offices and used car dealerships or wherever they go when the Legislature isn't in session.

Yes, it is strange that a heavily Republican state has a majority of Democrats in their Congressional Delegation, but, sad to say, you gotta wait til 2010 to do anything about it with redistricting, if you ask me. Though I am certain that if the shoe were on the other foot, we'd be seeing this same crap from the other side (you know, the side that disenfranchised Panhandle voters for decades because they had the gall to vote consistently Republican. You know, the side that closed an airbase to punish Amarillo for not voting for LBJ in 1964? Neither side is immune from the fancy Party Crap tricks).

Oh, and I think the sock puppets are relatively clever. Personally, I think we need more sock puppet-based protest.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good reading, mrpaige, and largely accurate. I'm sorry about the base. Those kinds of things have happened from both sides. Heck, I'm still ticked off that they closed Bergstrom here in Austin, even though we got an excellent airport out of it. I miss seeing the array of aircraft flying overhead... some unusual ones from time to time.

As for the budget, yes they have one that isn't liked by an awful lot of people. As for the deficit, we're required to balance it... so that was never in question. The question was and remains how to do it. Was the current budget a good idea and necessary? In my view, no and no.