1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democrats say it is an arrogant power grab against the founders intent?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OddsOn, Feb 24, 2010.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

As usual, you are wrong...

"Informal polls in recent weeks have shown that a majority of Senators now favor confirmation of Justice Fortas. Opponents believe that only by staging a filibuster can they block confirmation."

linky

Both are hypocrites, but it is pure hyperbole to say that the GOP's exhibitions of hypocrisy "do[es] not even come close to the frequency with which Democrats demonstrate their hypocritical tendencies." By any measure, the hypocrisy is either equal or slanted right, just look at the number of "up or down votes" (a favorite expression of the GOP when they were in the majority) that the GOP have denied compared to the most recent comparable years, the last two of Bush the lesser.

I agree that the filibuster should remain a viable option, but think the rules should be changed. If someone is going to engage in a vote blocking procedure, they should be forced to actually filibuster rather than simply blocking cloture. Let's make these guys read the phone book, recite recipes, or better yet, stick their fingers in their ears and go "la, la, la, la" like the idiots they are.

You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just might be a lunatic you're looking for.

The Democrats have certainly underwhelmed me when it comes to their lack of spine, compared to the GOP. However, maybe Obama stepping up will steel their resolve just enough to get this through. Who knows, if the latest bipartisan efforts are again rejected by the GOP, maybe the Dems will just give them the finger and put the public option back in. I'm certainly not going to hold my breath, but IMO, the "clean sheet of paper" (the GOP was able to stay on message with that particular talking point, I heard it parroted by at least 8 different Republicans yesterday...BRAAAAAWK, no healthcare, clean sheet of paper, BRAAAAAWK) isn't going to happen. It is my feeling that yesterday's political theater was about the Dems giving the GOP one last chance before they just do it themselves.