1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democrats Pushing Anti-Photoshopping Bill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

"People are left feeling worse about themselves because they don't look like something that actually nobody looks like"

[​IMG]

Women have wrinkles, pores and curves. And there's a movement across the world to make sure advertisers can no longer pretend otherwise.

House Bill 2793, proposed by Rep. Katie Hobbs, D-Phoenix, would require advertisers who alter or enhance a photo to put a disclaimer on that ad alerting customers that "Postproduction techniques were made to alter the appearance in this advertisement. When using this product, similar results may not be achieved."

The bill has little to no chance of success. But Hobbs said that's OK.

"We just wanted to bring it to the table and start a discussion," she said. "We need to bring attention to these body-image issues, especially with young girls. Girls need to know that they don't have to look perfect."

Arizona appears to be the first state in the nation to consider such a bill. There are ongoing efforts to get Congress to take up the matter. Several other countries also regulate or are considering regulating such advertising.

Hobbs said YWCA Maricopa County brought the idea to her.

Sam Richard, who serves on the YWCA Maricopa County board of directors, said the bill is modeled after laws in the United Kingdom.

"As an organization, we are all about empowering women and eliminating discrimination," Richard said. "We want to make sure that young women get a better start and better self-image."

He said girls need to understand that these photos aren't all real. Someone has airbrushed out the model's wrinkles and pores, or put a woman's head on top of a computer-generated perfect body.

"You need to disclose that so our young women don't grow up thinking a poreless face is possible," he said. "That's not the way that I think anyone wants to raise their daughters."

But Louie Moses, creative director of the Phoenix-based Moses Anshell advertising agency, said the advertising industry should be allowed to police itself.

"I don't like legislation that tells us what to do and what not to do in marketing," Moses said. "I know what's right."

He agreed that the evolution of photo-manipulation programs has made it nearly impossible for an average consumer to tell if a photo is real or fake. But he said legitimate advertising companies don't abuse that.

"It's one thing to make the sky bluer. It's another thing to make my body look perfect," he said. "And with the companies we represent, we see an advantage to choosing to tell the truth."

Moses also said people often blame advertising agencies for too many of the evils of society.

"People are always screaming about the images out there, but I think they are overlooking the easiest way to dispel those things," he said, suggesting parents strive to be their children's role models. "We don't want our media raising our kids."

The House Commerce Committee will hold a hearing on the bill this morning, but may not actually vote on it. The bill has to have a vote to move forward.

Seth Matlins, co-founder of Los Angeles-based online women's magazine Off Our Chests, supports Hobbs' effort, calling it "extraordinary."

Off Our Chests is behind the push for similar federal legislation it calls the Media and Public Health Act. The National Eating Disorders Association and other groups have joined the push for a federal law, but no member of Congress has yet agreed to carry it.

"I'm thrilled (Hobbs) is doing this. I haven't heard of any other states trying it," Matlins said.

He said manipulated photo ads create unobtainable beauty ideals.

"People are left feeling worse about themselves because they don't look like something that actually nobody looks like," he said. "We're trying to help the makers of culture understand the relationship between what they do and how people feel."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/polit...s-aim-airbrushed-women-ads.html#ixzz1nux96Q4d

2. False

False Member

And? Seriously, I have no idea how to respond to this. What do you think about the article? You have left no commentary to guide a discussion. I'll just post another article with no commentary, since I divine the topic of you post to be posting articles with no commentary how's that?

Witchcraft Trial: Magalie And Eric Bikubi Guilty Of Murdering Kristy Bamu, 15

1 person likes this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sounds like only one Democrat, out of 200-plus, is "pushing" this.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't you know that Democrats are monolithic in their views like the Borg.. ;)

5. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Damn dude talk about reeeeeeeeeeeeeaching. Give it up already.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This just in. Hightop is a moron.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I for one am all in favor of magazines and other media giving girls unattainable body image models to strive for. The harder they try, the better they look most of the time, which is good for me. If eating disorders are the price to pay for a hotter female population (with low self-esteem to boot), then I for one think it is worth it. Who is with me? ;) Bonus: buying your date a salad is cheaper than an entree. :grin:

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Just in?

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proves the existence of a Nash Equilibrium solution, which may be sub-optimal in an uncoordinated environment, and could be subject to Pareto-improving outcomes in a coordinated environment.

Coordination Failure, Multiple Equilibria and Economic Institutions
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/info/2554851

Henning Bohn, Gary Gorton
    Economica
    Published by: Blackwell Publishing on behalf of The London School of Economics and Political Science and The Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines

THEREFORE

there is always a role for government in the economy.

QED, motherf**ka.

also, feigned outrage at whatever the hell this topic is about.

#10 Northside Storm, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  11. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

My question: why did YOU add a picture of Obama to this article? It wasn't in the original. Where, in the article, is Obama mentioned? Or the White House, for that matter? Since when does an adjunct faculty member from Paradise Valley Community College = President of the United States Barack Obama?

Oh, right. This is a Hightop thread. The normal rules of logic and reason don't apply here...

1 person likes this.
  12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

How is this bill about anti-photoshopping? It's not anti-anything, except asking for more disclaimers.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Keep up the good work highcrop, slowly but surely, you will teach these folks what a true patriot can do for America.

Hey, did you hear that Obama is living a lavish lifestyle in a mansion while we struggle? Seriously.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That law sounds like a good idea. It would have to be national, however, to be efficient and effective.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Nearly all of the laws that highcrop rails against seem to be good ideas.

16. esteban

esteban Member

Actually this is a damn good bill. Believe me, you lefties do not want to see "Moochell" pre photoshop.