1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democrats boo God at DNC and snub Israel; infighting erupts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

They didn't boo God or defining Jerusalem as the capital is Israel, they booed the sudden, unapproved changing of the platform. It's the second bloody paragraph in the article!

I find it amusing that leaving God out of the platform is suddenly an attack on the idea of God. It's not an attack on God, it's an inclusion of everyone. It avoids defining the party to one particular religion and allows members of the party to define their own belief structure (or lack thereof). Not getting your way all the time isn't intolerance, something the majority seems to forget when claiming their religion is "under attack."

I'm definitely not in favor of hastily changing your platform (without approval) to include some deity that not everyone believes, just to appease a few raging fundamentalists.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This whole God in the platform business is cynical and meaningless. GOP tries to make hay out of it for the southern white evangelical votes.

[​IMG]

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo...

4. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

The Democrats have replaced the worship of God with the worship of the state.

5. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Hmm ... this is an interesting observation. Can you expand on it?

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

well at least one of them is not imaginary:p

7. SunsRocketsfan

I didn't call you anything so no need to rethink my position. I totally understand "LOL didnt read" gifs but I dont understand why anyone would use the one you used. Normally the person posting a "LOL DID NOT READ" or anytype of meme/gif you are implying you are the person doing the action. You were the one that posted a gif that shows
    -a dumb ass dancing around like an idiot with his pants around his ankles - FACT-
    Are you not implying you are the idiot in the pic who DID NOT READ LOL?

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Exactly. Leaving something out of the platform should not be construed as an endorsement of its opposite. Rather, its a recognition that there is no existing consensus on that particular issue within the party. Is that really such a bad thing; a thing Democrats should feel embarrassed about?

Its pretty disappointing that a party which prides itself on "diversity" should feel compelled to pretend there is uniformity of opinion on every hot button issue.

9. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I think he posted it because it's hilarious, and because this thread's original post was complete garbage.

Just a guess.

Can I just say how amazingly stupid politics seem to have gotten in this country? We identify so strongly with political parties that we let THEM define how we identify other people. For example, if you are Republican you must be Christian, white, wealthy, pro-free market (even though neither party really seems to understand what a TRUE free market really is how far our country has always been from that notion), and pro-life. If you are a Democrat, you hate Christians and religion in general, you think the government should solve all our problems, and you want to socialize just about everything.

Do we really believe that all Republicans can be pigeonholed into these categories? Or all Democrats? I am a Mormon that usually votes Democrat (we can argue, and we have argued in other threads on this BBS whether or not that makes me a Christian, but suffice to say that I believe in the Bible and ascribe to much of prevailing Christian thought, with key doctrinal differences). I am pro-life but personally, I also don't really have a problem with gay marriage. I identify more with Obama's administration on economic and social issues. I don't think that Republicans are evil, although many in the spotlight in recent years are admittedly a little challenged intellectually. I think that the power that the presidency holds, though significant, is overstated in our dialogue as a country.

My point is, I tend to lean more democrat on most issues, which is why I usually vote Democrat. I will be voting for Obama - he's not as progressive/liberal as I am in a lot of ways, but I personally don't care for Mitt Romney as a politician and think he's in over his head. But I don't appreciate the idea that just because you're a Democrat, you don't believe in God or you can't be religious. I don't personally view science and theology to necessarily be at odds with each other.

/end tangent/

#49 slcrocket, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This is the real problem. The kind of limited thinking that cannot conceive of anything existing outside of a two-pole oppositional system. Every question can be answered with a 'yes' or 'no', and every view has a single opposite. If you do not hold a view, then you must endorse the 'opposite' view.

It's a sign of a frightening inability to perceive the existence of anything outside of an established discourse based on false dichotomies.

Most political expressions these days appear to be based on a style of thinking that only traverses two dimensions, and insists on categorizing everything according to those two dimensions.

"Habit of seeing opposites.— The general imprecise way of observing sees everywhere in nature opposites (as, e.g., “warm and cold”) where they are, not opposites, but differences of degree. This bad habit has led us into wanting to comprehend and analyze the inner world, too, the spiritual-moral world, in terms of such opposites. An unspeakable amount of pain, arrogance, harshness, estrangement, frigidity has entered into human feelings because we think we see opposites instead of transitions." - Good ol' evil Fred Nietzsche

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i boo God all the time...my life is awesome!

12. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Yes, I am the idiot and my pants are around my ankles. BOOM you got me. Happy brah? Why you all on my balls brah? "I don't like your gif grrrrrrr :mad:"

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You must be new to the internet. That's the most common gif posted when people go with the "Did not read" meme.

14. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Kinda surprised you don't get it. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. The gif represents that one would rather do that stupid dance than read what the other had to write.

Seems like you was just mad bro.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

One Nation Under God

President Obama mentioned the Creator; as well as Christians, Muslims, and Jews tonight.

16. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

The Republicans also watered down their platform on Israel- the mind-numbingly ignorant racist-creationist trailer-trash in here didn't mention this, of course.