1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democratic Piggy Bank Gets Dried Up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 27, 2018.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No, of course not. Part of a larger picture. That's what a couple of us are talking about.

Unions were dying anyway, which is one of many reasons the OP's "piggybank" remark is so absurd. This decision is just a small chip in the firmament.

The death of organized labor, paired with other disturbing gilded age signifiers leads many people a lot smarter than me to say we aren't being dramatic enough.

But sure, everything is fine.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The money that most who are getting rich in the gilded age from flows through the stock market. Its an issue that really isn't about worker's right.

The fixes for the growing disparity in wealth aren't in union rights. They are more about minimum wages and such.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's a disconnect. The stocks were profitable in large part because of lack of safety standards and the abuse of workers' rights. In particular companies like U.S. Steel took advantage of black labor specifically because different black codes that allowed them to discriminate. They also often used prison labor to carry out much of their work.

So the abuse and denial of worker's right was a huge part of how these companies made their profit.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

People aren't dying in Americn factories and steel workers make a lot of money.

Income disparity is growing because bottom end job wages are stuck

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Without unions, they would be dying. The fact of the matter is that the same jobs in union shops have better-paid workers.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You think it would still be like 1900 in fwctories. Unions arent thst signifjcant anymore and its not 1900

There is no more civil rightrights movement, that doesnt mean blacks are going back to the back of the bus.

We evolve as a country we wont be dying in factories because we know
    better.

#26 pgabriel, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  7. cml750

cml750 Member

Mainly this hurts the political power of unions. The only reason people would not want to be in a union is due to knowing what political party their money is sent to support. Yes this hurts the strength of unions in the short term but hopefully it will wake them up so they keep politics out of it. If the politics are taken out of it the people who get out of the unions will come back if they need to.

The next challenge to unions will probably make all states right to work states.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . . . I wouldn't rule it out
    I recall several years ago they were attempting to do away with overtime
    I know they been trying to do away with minimum wage
    I know they have been trying to relax regulation

These are things they have attempted in the past. . . .so I would not doubt that they would attempt them in the future
    Playing the long game

Rocket River

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think National RIGHT TO WORK-ness is on the agenda.
    The movement of ultimate power being put back into the hands of management in a Republican plank it seems

Rocket River

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I wonder if you are consistent about this. Why should Unions stay out of politics? Do you believe the same is true of a Church or businesses? Why do they get to play in politics but unions don't in your mind?

11. cml750

cml750 Member

I never said they should not play in politics but the people who contribute should not be forced to give money to an institution that will give it to people they do not support. My point was if they did get out of politics, a lot of the people who leave will come back.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you're 501c, you're not allowed to be involved in politics.

Unions absolutely should be involved in politics...only if they are looking out for the best interest of their members. If a member is forced to pay into it by law, then the unions have absolutely no fidelity to its members. Its first and foremost agenda is to preserve its existence. And if one party promises to preserve their existence, then their money will always go to that party, regardless if the politician is passing legislation that goes against the members best interest.

Same principle applies to the RNC and DNC. Preservation of their existence is the only concern they have.

13. cml750

cml750 Member

I will also reply that while I cannot speak for every church, I have never once had political propaganda sent to me from my church. I still receive it from the union I was once a member of. I have also never been told to vote for a certain candidate at church or at work. The most political my church has been in the decades I have attended was to remind everyone of an upcoming election and telling them to pray before they vote so they make the right choice. I have never once been told who to vote for at work either. Like I said, I still get union propaganda telling me who to vote for. I haven't been a member for over a decade yet they still mail me the propaganda. The political aspect was the main reason I took a salary job at my company so I could leave the union without the browbeating anyone who left always received.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You know what they say about those that don't learn from history?

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I was focusing on your comment that they should get the politics out of it but I understand what you mean now. You think more people will join these unions if they leave the politics out of it...personally I think that is not possible since one party has been pretty anti-union? So by default...

But I understand what you mean.

I get that, I don't disagree with the ruling here.

I was more interested in how people felt about church money going into politics. Yes, I know 501c are not allowed to get involved in politics but it's not like many of these churches openly discuss politics...but they can get a lot of donations from people merely donating to their church but are in actuality donating to a political candidate.

I don't doubt that at all. Plenty of churches are not political at all...but we have clips of pastors getting political. We've had one introduce Trump at one of his rallies for instance.

Honestly, I'm just hoping for consistency here. I agree that people shouldn't be forced to join unions and in the end inadvertently endorse candidates they do not want...but with the GOP power over all branches, I fear that this standard won't be maintained when it comes to institutions likes churches. I know just last year some in the house were trying to pass a bill to give Churches more political power, not sure what happened with that though but I have a feeling we have not seen the last of it.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

I do not believe churches should get into politics at the pulpit but I have no issues with a preacher who supports one candidate or another on their own time away from the church. It crosses the line when they turn a sermon into a political rally. Yes I have seen clips also and it happens on both sides of the political spectrum. Any church who is pushing a political candidate in a sermon is crossing a line and should lose their tax exempt status.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im not sure im following. Are you suggesting people tithe more to their churches knowing the church will donate the funds to a political candidate? Im fairly certain that is a huge violation of 501c.

I really dont care about churches as long as they are not holding massive political rallies during their sermons.
    Let me explain: During a normal church service, they are acting as a non-profit organization. The majority of churches are 30-200 member churches. These churches are not raking in the dough, so to speak. They are not able to make a significant impact even if they donated a small amount. however if thousands of churches are allowed to hold political rallies, that is a huge issue since it costs nothing.

When you get into large and mega churches, they can afford the accountants and legal professionals to ensure they are legal. The Mormon church is a great example. While they collect an insane amount of revenue from their members in the form of non-profit, the church also has plenty of non-profit forms of revenue they can use to buy political candidates and influence political issues.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, many times more money than the NRA who some people think owns every politician in Washington. Funny how facts can kill narratives.

cml750 likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IKR
    I mean seriously people think . .. "OH THEY WOULD NEVER DO THAT . . . . . AGAIN!!"

If they can get away with it. . . they d*mn sure will

Rocket River

FranchiseBlade likes this.