1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democratic National Convention Thread (August 25-28, 2008)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GuerillaBlack, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Isn't the scripted call for acclamation kind of sucky for the states that didn't get to finish the roll call? Isn't the roll call where the people from the states that worked really hard get to pimp their state and brag about stuff as kind of a reward?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Willing to come out and fall on your sword is going well beyond the least. I'm not sure though how much this will pacify the really aggrieved Clinton supporters.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

sort of like this?

[​IMG]

in 2004 Bush accepted his nomination before a backdrop of Greek revival columns, too.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Look, it's just a distribution function. So you're talking about one extreme, 3-sigma tail of the aggrieved distribution. The media, again, is eating it up, finding the angry ones for some "compelling" (sic) television.

And this distribution will change over time, as we move to the election. I really don't expect we're talking about meaningful numbers who will change their vote to McCain, or even that many who will stay home in November.

We'll see.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My understanding is that this is unusual and the practice of conventions, since the days of floor fights have passed, is to have the roll call but orchestrate it so that the state where the nominee is from gets to put them over the top but to still continue the roll call to the end.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nah, I think it's cool. It's been done before and according to party rules, if a candidate has at least two thirds of the delegate count, the motion for acclamation can be made. It's one of those traditional things that happens from time to time. Someone will buy the delegate chairs' some drinks to make them feel better about it, and everyone gets to cheer. :cool:

YEA!!!

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think the most extreme are certainly being pumped up by the media to make more of a story but from recent polling data I've seen it seems like Obama's support among former Clinton backers has been dropping. This is speculation on my part as I haven't looked at the data very closely I think this isn't just a matter of angry women who didn't get there chance to get a woman elected president but that McCain's negative campaign ads are gaining some traction among some of Clinton's blue collar supporters.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I take back what I said earlier. Seeing it live, I thought it was well done. I'm sure a few idiots that hear about the acclamation vote and don't understand it will gripe, but no one that watched the whole thing can say anything about it being unfair. Obama can't blame the DNC for losing in November.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Gotta admit, that whole orchestrated, pre-determined fake roll call deal.....
    felt pretty damn good.

10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone know what time Clinton is going to speak?

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Around 8pm Houston time.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I love John King using a McCain strategist's e-mail as references for polls.

13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thanks

14. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

PBS is also doing a great job. Commentary is only occurring during the lulls, and The panel is top notch: Mark Shields and David Brooks - along with a panel of historians.

15. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Bill is going hard in the paint right now.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

THAT. WAS. INCREDIBLE.

I don't know who was better between him and Hillary. They were both amazing.

Thank you, Clintons.

18. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Billl tagged all the bags - JONRON!

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Anyplace to watch a replay? :(

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

lol @ karl rove on fox news trying to say the bush administration did a lot of the things bill clinton said and tried to say bill exaggerated.

but back to the speech, it was great. the line where he said when he ran in 92 and the republicans said he was young and inexperienced just like they're saying now to obama and looked what bill did was perfect.

the clintons are just too good.