1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democratic National Convention Thread (August 25-28, 2008)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GuerillaBlack, Aug 25, 2008.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the primary was still recent (3 months ago?) so obviously bitter feelings are still there.

fortunately, the election is in november, 2 more plus months. im sure by then, those women or hardcore hillary supporters will come back to their senses and say, "mccain? hell nah".

bill and hillary will begin to campaign for barack after the convention so i'm sure they'll pull the voters in.

look, it's obvious there are tensions and no sides are denying it. but like hillary said, "were you voting for me? or for the american people?"

2. rocket3forlife2

1.Everybody who voted for Hillary was not about to vote for her agian in the election

2.There are a lot of them coming around slowly

3. t_mac1

and how hypocritical of republicans when they said obama struggled with his first major decision by choosing the VP days before the convention when mccain is doing the exact same thing?

lol, old age?

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Has anyone seen any evidence that the Democrats in Denver think the Latino vote is important? This is a big mistake being made. Hopefully someone will point this out to them.

5. danny317

danny317 Member

i agree. mccain already got the all important Daddy Yankee endorsement... :D

on a more serious note, it is critical for the dems to win a majority of the latino votes. if the repubs wise up and change their stance on immigration, they could steal the election before the dems realize what happened to them.

6. t_mac1

i think latinos generally vote democrat. but i'm sure they'll make them a big emphasis before this election.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The dumbest thing that the DNC can do is to not allow a floor vote, or only count a few states for the floor vote. If delegates aren't allowed to vote or their vote isn't counted, they get to claim victim status and yell from now 'till November about how the DNC didn't give Hillary a fair shake. If the DNC really wants the Hillary voters to get on board, they better let them vote, lose, and gain "closure". If that doesn't happen, Barack Obama can blame Howard Dean for his loss in November.

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Ken Salazar (D-CO) is introducing Obama tomorrow night. So that's some small little something.

Obama is also outpolling Kerry significantly among Latinos. The polls seem to show that bloc already strongly on his side.

9. Major

Major Member

Is there any evidence that the vote is going to get shut down or anything like that? My impression is that they are doing what is always done - the states did indvidual private votes in the morning, and then they have the state roll call in the evening.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully Salazar can give a bit of a speech.

So, Batman, are you pretty satisfied with the Obama campaign so far? I am really worried that he is not doing too well. Fortunately his opponent is McCain, who is not very strong, though he is comfortable due to the fact that he has been around forever.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I heard they are limiting Bill's speech to 10 minutes. What a slap in the face. Oh well, I guess they need more time to prepare for Obama's mock ascension into Heaven tomorrow at his Grecian temple of brainlessness.

12. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

lmao!!!

13. Batman Jones

I may have gotten Obama's intro mixed up with his nominating speech. Salazar gave one of those an hour ago, so maybe I'm mixed up. Not sure.

As for the Obama campaign, I'm kind of back and forth. I haven't thought the convention has been that good so far, particularly with regard to consistent message and theatrics. But I did think Hillary was amazing last night, Michelle was excellent Monday night and Kennedy and Schweitzer were fantastic as well. (Warner was a total dud.)

But maybe they're just building slowly. Tonight will tell us a lot.

The thing that reassures me is remembering what an incredible master of timing Obama proved to be in the primaries. He was 20 down nationally very shortly before Iowa, but he never panicked. He just stuck to the plan. He knew he had a superior ground organization and he saved his fire til the end when it would count the most. I remember watching the JJ Dinner live and thinking, oh my god, he's known what he was doing all along. This is really the first week of the general. It would be consistent with his successful primary plan to keep his powder dry til now. Meanwhile, McCain has thrown everything he has to throw. He can't keep up the intensity on those exact same attacks for the next two months.

So how do I feel? Cautiously optimistic. Or rather, cautiously (very) optimistic.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Very cool and historic that Hillary made this all possible with her call for acclamation. I'd say Hillary has done her job -- to say the least.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Right!?!?!?

The Democratic Party just officially nominated the first African American candidate for the Presidency!

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, LEFT!!!

#117 Deckard, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  18. Batman Jones

Quoted for truth.

19. mc mark

BTW

CSPAN is by far the best for coverage. Especially if you don't want to hear all the nattering, nabob commentators speaking over all the speeches.

20. mc mark

way to go Hillary!