1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMeco Ryans and the impact of a good coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by backwardhead, Oct 1, 2023.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I cooled on the Texans a long time ago. Long before Bill O'Brien and pastor E, I was done when Matt Schaub was turtling up sideline with this helmet on because we were getting our butts handed to us.

But if you are at all like me you have been seeing the display the Texans have been putting on these last few weeks. I'm in some restaurant with my wife and get caught watching the game. She says, "you never watch the Texans. I thought they were terrible." I say, "they were, but they are playing great right now. It's kinda weird."

My point is, though CJ Stroud is showing himself to be more than maybe even the most ardent fan bargained for, I think this last few games has been all about having good coaching. Really good coaching. The kind of coaching that tailors their gameplan to the players strengths, away from the other teams strengths, and does it in a way that the team can invest fully in what is asked of them.

I can't help but think we might see a similar transformation under coach Udoka.

I would like to call into sports talk radio and say, "could this be the year that all 3 major teams give us reason to cheer?" But I know they would likely hang up on me the moment I voiced by excitement for the Rockets specifically. So I thought I would come here.

Can coach Udoka bring a similar excitement to the Rockets? An excitement that coach Ryans, and his OC whatever his name is, has brought to the Texans? Will wives be asking, "I thought the Rockets were terrible" and we say, "they were, but they are playing great right now!"

2. PatBev

PatBev Member

Demeco & Stroud = Ime & Amen

3. kpdark

kpdark Member

Amen is the X-Factor

4. fattz

fattz Member

I was watching the game trying to figure out the red team because they didn’t look or play like the Texans. Hopefully our Rockets do the same.

red5rocket likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ime and Jalen.. Jalen just imprints on the people he's around. he was around KPj so he was trash. notice Jalen is in the gym with star players and FVV. I think Ime is going to push Jalen to be the star he is. I think Ime will expect Star production and will yell at him if he doesn't do it.

Every time I see people say how bad Jalen is it's so weird to me. im still holding on to that summer league performance. it was electric. All that confidence was wiped away and has to be built back up.

red5rocket, cbass, Mathloom and 3 others like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Doesn't hurt that the NFL looks like it only has 6 or 7 good teams....
    (Miami, KC, Bills, Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers)

the rest look below average to mediocre

Tfor3 likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It was also wiped from my memory. How did he do in SL?

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The hype was ridiculous.. then the season came and Silas and stone stuck him in the corner and Jalen was thinking he was a bust. They made him into a spot up shooter.

burlesk, Salvy, cheke64 and 1 other person like this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I wouldn't necessarily put Dallas and Baltimore in the top tier either. Parity isn't super high this year. But I give Stroud a ton of credit. He is outperforming all of the other sub 25 QBs out there.

10. Ancient Moabite

This thread is early confirmation that Udoka will be runaway NBA COY, this yr and following season

BamBam and Tfor3 like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I like Stroud, I'm surprised he hasn't been intercepted yet, but have told those
    close to me (before draft) that I find his accuracy top tier. Touch is great.

I might bump out Ravens for Lions; but Cowboys have everything needed
    to succeed this year. Trade can fill a avoid or hole to make them even
    better. Need a consistent kicker.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

meh, eggball

Jontro likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm not sure what the Texans prove other than that accumulating and inheriting dynastic wealth is a curse on society and should be obliterated

cbass, burlesk and palmsnbananas like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Shut Up and Listen

Welcome to professional sports all around the globe, I hope you can enjoy some of it if you choose to.

burlesk likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh shiii... texans are good again, like back to the dave carr days

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Coaching is a lot more important in football, to be fair, because the rosters are a lot bigger and plays are a lot more complicated. I also think you have to give Stroud a ton of credit for playing like a star quarterback despite being a rookie. We don't have any real star players on the Rockets unless/until somebody breaks out. If that happens we could have a .500 season like the Texans are currently doing, but if not, I don't know that Ime is going to be able to make that much of a difference.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know you are not comparing Dusty Baker and his sit on his hands approach to Ryans.....

DD

Xopher likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Considering our Summer League team looked more competent than anything Silas was ever putting together....yes of course he can.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this team comfortably make the playoffs. Wouldn't bet on it but it wouldn't surprise me either. I do think we'll be better than the Thunder, Pistons and Magic.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Agree. Yes. Coaching, discipline and team mentality.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

awesome!
    Go Texans

Go Rockets

Go Astros