1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins: Get 'er done Morey!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Jan 1, 2012.

?

Should the Rockets pursue DeMarcus Cousins?

1. Yes

538 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

237 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. VBG

VBG Member

The post uses Andray Blatche as an example.

Have you seen Blatche play for the Nets? He's been a really good contributor.

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am not saying we should get him - but that would be a typical Morey move. Buy a player with great potential on the cheap because you hope you can turn his career around. It's a gamble, and that's what Morey is about.

And I think that McHale would be his perfect coach. A hall of fame big man very well respected.

But I don't know if I would be willing to pay the asking price. I like Parson and his potential and I think we really have something in Asik. Probably both would be gone... And worst case scenario is Cousins bad attitude rubbing off on Harden and the young PFs. Still intriguing....

3. teebone21

teebone21 Member

He doesnt play good enough D to takes pattersons spot at PF. He is a ******* also and will be royce part 2 if he infest the locker room. IF had for cheap then trade for him but if not screw him

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

What make you guys think the Kings will give up Cousins? lol. C'mon stop dreaming. I don't even know why there is even a thread for that. The Kings is not giving up Cousins and he's not a free agent, so why even talk about it?? It's not like he wanted to be traded or he's a free agent after this year. He's not, stop talking about it.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

McHale always seems to be the perfect coach, but he is what he is.
    Old school to the core and he butts head with head strong players like Lowry in the locker room. We don't see it.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think he will be traded, but it certainly could happen. He has requested to be traded in the past. He is a problem for Sacramento. I see nothing wrong with talking about it.

7. monster

monster Member

Would likely cost too much in trade. Free agency

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I would take a risk for him, but at a cheap price.

Maybe Morris and either one of T-Jones/D-Mo/Royce White. I would throw in a 2nd rounder in there too.

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Blatche had all of one good week while Brook Lopez was out due to injury.

It's also worth noting that Blatche--who was a starter on a bad team like the Wizards--was not good enough to crack the starting lineup on a better team in Brooklyn. Just like, in all likelihood, DeMarcus Cousins down the road.

Cousins is *this close* (holds finger and thumb a small distance apart) from being the next Eddy Curry, followed by not even as good as Eddy Curry. He's shown no evidence of work ethic or maturation in his three years in the league to make that NOT his future.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

so his future will be in China. :)

11. nickg

nickg Member

I know, really don't care for him.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I've watched about 3/4 of the Nets game this year and Blatche has been really good for pretty much the entire season. The fact that he isn't getting as many minutes anymore with Lopez back is hardly his fault. He did everything one could ask for. Avery just prefers their better rebounders (Humphries/Reggie Evans) next to Lopez, which is understandable, but still. Avery has to find a way to get him more minutes.

13. nickg

nickg Member

Well, at least Royce white will have some company.

14. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

That's great and all, but think carefully about what you're describing here. You are describing the career trajectory of a player who was a laughingstock as a starter on a bad team for 7 years. Wizards fans wanted nothing but to be free from Andray Blatche. Finally, the team paid him to go away, and he became (I guess I'll take your word on this) a "solid contributor off the bench" on a winning team.

But does that sound like the kind of player some Rockets fans are hoping Cousins would be? A solid bench big? They think he's a frontcourt centerpiece! A future star! They'd gladly pay as though he is! I mean, we're here more to educate and less to judge, but that is what some believe. I truly believe that Cousins is on course to be some other team's 15 MPG rotation player as a broken down old man. That or he'll be losing games alongside McGrady in China. There is a threshold at which point players become too much of a hassle to be worth the investment in time and resources even for the worst of NBA teams, and Cousins is about to cross it.

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Lets get that Kentucky connection of Pat2 and Cousins.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm astounded how many people want this guy, his career FG% is 44% which for a guy that doesn't shoot 3's is pathetic.

His TS% is 49%, and hasn't been getting better in 3 years. Plus if he was good he would have had some impact on winning, the Kings continue to suck.

His actual value versus the cost it would take to get him isn't good at all.

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Cousins needs a psychiatrist more than Royce White does.

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

get Greg Monroe,
    place him next to Asik, Twin Towers? :confused:

pulling Greg Monroe away from Detroit is a long shot though

19. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

A .00001% chance of happening...but DAMN, would that be a nasty frontcourt.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After thinking about it and reading some damn good posts from BeeBeard, Carl and others, I am starting to really think about what I would give up for Demarcus. While I think it is extreme to compare Demarcus to Eddy Curry and other fat out of shape ex-NBA crap, I do think that I would have a hard time giving up much for Demarcus. Every season, the guy has about 20 superstar caliber games. Will he ever be able to bring that number up to something consistent? I'm not so sure, but I think it is possible with a change of scenery. As I mentioned earlier, the kid plays hard and that's a good start. He wants to win. He is also one of the most immature players in the NBA. Could we bring him in as a backup C, much like The Nuggets are doing with Javale?

Chandler Parsons and Omer Asik are here to stay, unless we can get our hands on a player of equal value to James Harden. Demarcus Cousins is not that guy. That said, I would give up maybe all of our rookies and potential guys, for the potential of Demarcus Cousins, because I still think he has immense talent and size. You just can't teach 6-11, 270 with a wingspan, rebounding instincts and passing ability combined with his agility. There was a reason he slipped to 5, but there is also a reason he couldn't go any lower.