1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Deliver Us From Evil"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No, I'm not. Nice dig though.

2. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is left ambiguous, but at the very least, gross negligence is appropriate. Also, the ending is absolutely painful to watch. If it doesn't get you at least a little angry, I don't know what can. I understand why Batman Jones reacted the way he did (although his was much more extreme than mine, it is still an incredibly emotional film.)

3. Batman Jones

What I wish upon someone is pretty much my business, I think. Until I act on it. And, as I've not done violence on anyone since a kid picked a fight with me in the seventh grade, I think I'm pretty unlikely ever to do so. I'm a lover, not a fighter. And believe me when I tell you that I find your billions of anti-Muslim posts to be horribly wrong as well.

The Pope was made aware of the rapes and the relocations of the rapists. He had the ultimate power to put a stop to it. He also had the ultimate power to allow criminals to be prosecuted. He did neither.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Your business, but when you put the comment out there, I make it my business to let you know that wishing something like this upon someone - anyone, no matter what they have done - is a sign of a bad character.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Good post, sir. :eek:

:( Dang, mister Jones, you sure are mad.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I understand that child abuse is a topic that stirs up emotion, so I take Batman's posts with a grain of salt - although I still think he should reconsider these statements, I think they are pretty horrible.

But obviously, child abuse is sadly not limited to the Catholic church (and I am not a fan of the Pope, to be clear):

400 cases of child abuse in UK madrassas only tip of iceberg

Bacha Bazi: Afghanistan's dancing boys are invisible victims

4 ultra-orthodox Jewish men charged with trying to silence accuser in abuse case

Batman Jones, do you want to see all these people tortured, raped and killed as well? Why the singular focus on the Pope?

#26 AroundTheWorld, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

BATMAN ANGRY!

[​IMG]

Fun to watch!

8. esteban

esteban Member

There is nothing like Catholic bashing on a Friday afternoon. I'm a good Catholic therefore I will pray for all of you.

9. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should at least watch the film, it's not an anti-Catholic film at all. It just explores the child abuse problem, which is a serious problem.

That's certainly true, abuse takes place everywhere. By the numbers though, the Catholic church has a systemic problem that needs to be addressed.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Raping children is horrible, especially when it comes from an authority figure that is supposed to be a beacon of trustworthiness, wisdom, and light in the world. It's really horrible when that is taught to the children and the authorities that are supposed to be the examples do this.

It's criminal if the pope covered that up. Everyone involved should see justice for what they've done.

11. Batman Jones

^^^That's what I should have said. Thanks, FB.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I understand the anger, and just reading about this stuff got me very riled up. I had to think a minute before I posted or I would have posted almost the exact same thing you did.

People who are supposed to be the protectors acting to cover it up really is incredibly offensive. I think everyone knows and abhors the slime that would do these things, but not nearly as many people think about the chain of command, and where responsibility should also lie.

The whole thing is an incredibly messed up situation. I'm glad you are bringing attention to it, even here on this message board.

13. Batman Jones

Because he has known what has been happening and he has absolute power to order the release of evidence regarding thousands of rapes, but he has elected not to do so. He doesn't want the rapist priests punished and he doesn't want the bishops that allowed it to go on and abetted it by relocating offenders to new locations punished. Too embarrassing for the Catholic Church.

How any Catholic parent could ever leave his or her child alone with a priest again is completely beyond me. Because when it comes to the Catholic Church in specific we know that the rapes of children by priests will not be punished. It is a policy with them.

This abuse could have been stopped. Thousands of victims and families could have been saved. But it was not stopped; it was systematically enabled by the powers that be in the Catholic Church that just decided they'd rather not.

If that doesn't make your blood boil, you probably don't have human blood.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

As Catholic as I am, I cannot disagree with you Batman. In all fairness, there has been a recent change in the cover up culture. Why? Because the rank and file Catholics have demanded it. This topic is deeply disturbing for most Catholics, myself included. This issue caused me to stop regularly attending mass and I have not given money to the church in several years. The exception was a donation to a young adults group to go to central America to dig sanitation trenches.

It is unbelievable. It is maddening. It is tragic. It has to change and will change.

I understand your anger.

1 person likes this.
  15. Batman Jones

Thank you for letting me know. I will try to do better because your opinion is very important to me.

1 person likes this.
  16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Atheist, won't watch and don't agree. Pedo-watch is eerily similar to religious fanaticism in that it attempts to give absolute evil a human personification and creates morally and socially acceptable outlets for our vilest and most savage compulsions, text above for example.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i was raised catholic as a young child. i have liked the 'art' of the church still to this day, and loved going to rome etc.

i have not really been anything but maybe a little buddhist since i was 12 or so.

this just disgusts me though. pictures those old men its worse then any horror movie that i could fathom or create in my head.

if something happens after you die those poor men will see suffering.

18. Batman Jones

I said in another post that my scorn was not for the rapists (who are sick) but for the men that knew about it and allowed it to continue. And I'm an atheist too.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If the church shields rapists from prosecution and attention, then it's enabling the behavior and emboldening the rapists. What concept of heaven is there that can replace the hell from these men doing God's work?

I have a healthy respect for the intellectual history of the Catholic Church, but this bull**** from the higher order seems like a page ripped from Scientology to me.

Pretty sad stuff. I don't feel like watching the movie anytime soon.

20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Explains why you own 25 guns - the need to protect one's anus at all times as a grown adult.