1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Del Harris be the coach of Chinese national team, will it have good effect on Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lsqdavid, Feb 15, 2004.

1. lsqdavid

lsqdavid Member

It's not officially announced but I believe it's true. Do you guys think it is good for Yao?

2. Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka Member

What makes you think Del Harris is gonna be the coach of the Chinese Nat'l team? Please explain.

3. cyro

cyro Member

4. oliver_67

oliver_67 Member

Actually they got two: Sabonis's ex coach is gonna coach the Chinese national team from now on and Del Harris is gonna come to China to co-coach the team from June.

Definitely great for Yao.:)

5. Panda

Panda Member

Del Harris or Sabonis ex coach are not official personels yet, so don't bank on it. It's true, though, that China is targeting foreign basketball coaches for the next Olympics. Good news for Yao.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know if it's good for Yao, but when Del stopped coaching the Rockets, it was good for them.

Hmm... a Mark Cuban connection in China as Yao's contract winds down : interesting.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Lakers concur.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i think cuban is always trying to have his hands in something overseas...not necessarily yao. he sees the potential china has with someone like yao coming over. i highly doubt we will see anyone like yao come out of china anytime soon. his touch and attitude aren't something you see on a regular basis. i don't care where you are from.

anyhow...del harris will be a good coach for the chinese nt. they need some sensibility in their practices.

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Very good, like I've said, China was willing to Milo to get the soccer team to the next level, it seems that they are now willing to the same with basketball.

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Del Harris was a very good offensive coach. He knows the game very well, and could design some pretty good offensive schemes.

I've always respected him.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Wasn't Del, Moses Malones coach when we went to the finals in 1980?

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If anything it should prevent him from being burned out in the long practice the Chinese NT team runs. He should atleast have more reasonable and more productive practices with a US coach who knows the ropes on how to get a team in good physical condition without wearing them down to total exhaustion.

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

The Chinese NT should make a run at Rudy.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think that is a good idea. I don't want to see him coaching another NBA team unless it's Houston.

15. pchan

pchan Member

Del harris is going to practice Yao to death, make him eat american burgers instead of chinese food :(
    that way Dallas would have an edge over the rox during the regular season. I can't believe they ask Del... there are so many other options out there.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

it might likely mean the training sessions for Yao when he plays with the Chinese NT are much easier... no more 4 a days

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, and he sends Moses Malone his undying gratitude for taking him there after a 40-42 record. :)

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Del has also coached some good big men in the past if I remember correctly. I think he was the head coach of the 94-95 Magic with Shaq, and was the head coach of the Spurs at one point with David Robinson.

19. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Del coached with the Lakers in the 90s before he was fired when Kurt Rambis took over. I don't believe Del coached for the Spurs.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Del Harris is a good coach and an even better actor. He was outstanding in the Naked Gun movies.