1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dejounte Murray to Hawks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Spooner, Jun 29, 2022.

1. xaos

xaos Member

28% chance at Wemby or Scoot is probably higher than any free agent of that caliber ever going to sign with the Spurs. Even if they miss, they can now effectively build through the draft. They just had a solid 2022 draft, they control all of their own picks moving forward and have extra unprotected picks. Even world class organizations see the benefit of bottoming out after all.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm kinda surprised people are saying this is such a great deal for the Hawks. I like Murray but I don't know if he's a 3 first rd picks plus pick swap kinda guy. This hall is close to what you would get back for a superstar.

It's not a bad deal but I wouldn't call it a homerun.

I actually like that for both teams. But, then Hawks would have to trade Capela...and they probably wouldn't get much in a fire sale.

3. RocketsDraftTV

dejuonte is the new westbrick

solid trade for the spurs

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Not really the same thing, though.

One situation was a contending team whose main guy didn't want to be there any more, and one is a completely mediocre team whose main guy (probably) didn't mind balling in SA.

I don't think Murray was a cornerstone by any means, so for the Spurs to get this much for him, in addition to Gallo, is really good for them. Murray getting named an all-star last season probably helped out so much, in terms of other teams needing to add more, to match the perceived value of Murray.

Not sure how keen Pop is though, on going through another rebuild. Getting Victor next year would change all that, ofc.

5. RocketsDraftTV

murray isn’t that good

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. xaos

xaos Member

Lol oh boy.

8. RocketsDraftTV

harden last year in houston, he was playing next to wood, wall, tucker and cousins lol. That ain’t no contending team

9. xaos

xaos Member

10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He was winning me my fantasy league last year so I watched around 40 Spurs games last season. He's very very very good. Triple double machine but with a brain unlike Russ. Great passer, rebounder, defender, slasher and decent shooter. And the most important thing is, he was completely forged in the Spurs/Pop system. Any bad habits or low IQ tendencies have been cleansed. Put him on team where he doesn't have to do EVERYTHING and he'll shine.

And let me just add, I know fantasy isn't the best indicator of overall performance but Murray finished THIRTEENTHED last year. 13. It's not everything but that's definitely something.

11. xaos

xaos Member

Teams like Hawks usually have to slightly overpay for guys like Murray. When you have guys like Trae you make bold moves to contend. They're not favorites by any means but this deal made sense for both teams.

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

They've needed a secondary ballhandler as long as Trae's been there. It's a costly move but overall I think the fit is great and I'm excited to see the unlocking of off-ball Trae.

raining threes likes this.
  13. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

My god we will be out tank by the Spurs.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Well, I'm just saying, you were contending at some point in the past year or so, before it got to that point. The Spurs have been middling ever since they banished Kawhi to the North.

Doesn't make sense to keep Murray as SA is looking at another .500 season, at best. Basically wasting the entrance of Murray's prime.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We got this. Spurs offense and defense alone is greater than Silas coaching skills and me-first KPJ.

KingSamJack likes this.
  16. RocketsDraftTV

Russ when he was Murray’s age was leading okc to the playoffs, even without kd. Murray is overrated

17. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Dejounte seemed like a guy that 100% would be moved at some point and I wanted us to go in for him so bad before all this info came about recently.

I would’ve done KMJ/Tate, KPJ and 2 firsts.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Imagine Houston, OKC and Detroit doing all this work to be relevant again, and the Spurs are actually the ones to establish (another) dynasty simply because they got Wenbanyama.

Wouldn't that be something.

KingSamJack and xaos like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just like with WB, it seems like nobody will know until it's too late lol

RocketsDraftTV likes this.
  20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

It's pretty much 2 picks for Murray. Hawks would've needed to use the charlotte pick just to get rid of Gallo's 23 million expiring.

The pick swap San Antonio got is nothing since the Spurs will be terrible for at least a couple years and unless injuries or something strange happens, those 2 unprotected picks from ATL will be non lottery.

Yung-T and xaos like this.