1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deja Vu 2007-2008 Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fuzzybear, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

I have been brewing over this one for a while.

2007-2008
    The 2007-2008 season began with everyone expecting one Luis Scola to take the reigns as the starting PF. Although Luis ran out to a slow start, it seemed inevitable that Chuck Hayes would take the back-seat to Scola.

By the time we played the "Philadelphia game" we were sitting at 20-19. 6 games later, Luis Scola entered the starting lineup. In addition, the suprising play of Carl Landry in his first real action versus a blown-out Minnesota team forced Hayes to play situational minutes behind the emerging talents of Luis and Carl.

The Rockets went on to win 22 games in a row, the most ever in modern history.

2010-2011
    No, we don't have a healthy Yao and a semi-healthy Tmac. No, we don't have Dikembe Mutumbo or Steve Novak to bail us out.

But we do have Jordan Hill and perhaps something in Patrick Patterson.
    Jordan Hill is not Luis Scola, and Patrick is probably not Carl. But I have the tendency to believe that they were picked 8th and 14th for a reason.

Sometimes, a little change can go a long way. Get away from the comfort of Shane, Chuck, and Miller, and into the unknown with Hill and Patterson. Who knows? We just might see history repeat itself.

I just hope it doesn't take 45 games before an adjustment is made.

2. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

I agree man ..we hv nothing to lose

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Although I see the parallel you draw, flopping your starters for the end of the bench is a desperation move. I really dont buy into the idea that the Rockets are in as big a trouble as their record would suggest. Individually, their is PLENTY of talent to win. Its the team concept, especially at the defensive end, that is lacking. I dont think its as much who is on the floor, but how well those there communicate and work together. Even with no Yao at all, this team is capable of being better than last years team. Should be in fact, looking at its parts and comparing them.

So it is my belief that you take ones best guess on your starters and substitutions, and then do everything possible to give them time together. I really think the rest will take care of itself. By this I dont mean they are finals bound at this point, but rather that they are significant again. They are back on the radar as a contender.

Yes, yes, the injures have thrown a wrench into the whole chemistry thing. But you have to just have faith that the whole season isnt going to have 3-4 keys guys injured at all times. It just has to happen that they get healthy enough to play who they want, not who they have to. If it doesnt happen, then its in a high powers hands.