1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deion a Redskin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Jun 5, 2000.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Well it has now happened and I cant wait till Redskins meet the Cowboys. Deion has a big deal, 55 million for 7 years. He will be 40 when his contract is over.

Can anyone say Washington Redskins the next CHAMPS?

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited June 05, 2000).]

3. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

With all of their off season moves, if they don't win it all it would be a huge disappointment.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Rock on!!

Glad to see my boy "Prime Time" on a winning club....and no longer a Cowboy!!

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Redskins are a good team on paper, but I still don't know if they are the best. Tampa Bay was damn good in the playoffs last year, especially in the NFC championship game when they literally shut down the Rams. All they lacked was a big time playmaker on offense. Now they got Keyshawn Johnson, one of the top 5 receivers in the game. Tampa Bay was and is far and away the top defensive team in the NFL. They also are one of the top running teams. All they needed was a threat in the passing game, and they got it. I think it's Tampa Bay's time.

Also, I still think the Redskins may not be able to beat the Rams either. I know the Rams haven't changed much, but these are the Rams, the team that was a machine last year. No one could stop them. Even though the teams around them have improved, is it enough to stop Warner, the top QB in the game, and several top receivers? And I'm not even mentioning Marhsall Faulk here. In all of the Redskins and Bucs hoopla, everyone seems to be forgetting the Rams. They are right there, and I expect another dominant season, just not quite as good playoff time as Tampa Bay.

------------------

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dumb ass Dieon. To hell with him. He was starting to get kind of overrated anyways. He wasnt as dominant as he used to be. He got burned for some big ass plays against the Colts and various other teams. I just want to know how the hell can the Skins afford all these players they are signing. I heard they will be screwd in two years, salary cap wise. According to the Chronicle Boys are interested in signing Randall Cunningham. I dont know how much that will help my Boys but better than what they have now. Anyone know of a good Cowboys site?

------------------
    Now introducing the starting lineup for your Houston Rockets: Starting at Center from Wake Forest - TIM DUNCAN

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

i think deion is overrated, and he isnt as fast as he used to be. He wasnt thrown at often last year, but when he was, he got beat quite a bit.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Washington is solid. I'm from here and they have what it takes to go the distance, but the Titans are a juggernaut and Eddie is a machine. Titans 23 Redskins 17

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I doubt if the Titans can make it back. I like them, but the Colts simply can be a powerhouse next year. They are loaded with talent, and next year will have an extra year of experience and maturity under their belts. I think they'll represent the AFC, but fall to Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl.

------------------
    Cheaters never win. Unless you play for LA that is.

10. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

The Skins a paper tiger????

The Redskins have players and playmakers all over the place.

They have something that no other team can compete with...Complete depth.

They were second in the league in offense last year, and improved their offense by Adding the best tackle in the Draft (who garners comparisons to Tony Boselli) They added Adrian Murrell who lets not forget was a 1000 yard a year man before last years horrible Cardinal season. And hes your backup maybe 3rd string.

Added Jeff George, as a backup in case Johnson goes down or struggles, whos proven he can come in with a winning team in once season and carry them.

The Skins defense was horrible last year, but anyone who followed them knew there were 2 main reasons for it. No pass rush at all from the outside leading to big plays and furious doubles all game long on Dana, and Dan. And Mike Nolans, garbage, gap shoot defensive game plans. No attacking, no blitzing, no pressure. It was horrible. But the team D did improve over the last 8 games and allowed only I believe 14 points a game over that span. So add Mark Carrier, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, and LaVarr Arrington. Theres your outside rush and your down field coverage. Did anyone else see that Mr. Green just ran a 4.24 40???? And he now slides over to the slot or Nickle back. There isnt any team that has 3 recievers that is going to beat Deion, Darrell, and Champ. No Not even the Rams are that Stacked.

But I wont fool you guys into believing the skins have no holes. Right Now they dont have a solid special teams coverage, and their punter situation makes me very, very queasy. They have a need for a proven long snapper, and could use some depth at guard. But other than that, I dont see many serious problems. I try to stay away from believing my teams are guaranteed championships, but looking at the skins moves I must say that...Anything short of at least a superbowl appearance would seem like a huge lack of achievement.

As for the Bucs...Im not even close on sold on their squad. Keyshawn was a nice pickup, if they had a QB who could get him the ball downfield, or even consistantly. There offense is still sorry, with a barely average running attack. Yes their running game is seriously overrated. Their D is awesome. No questions and it could carry them. But if it wasnt for two late fumbles by the Skins deep in their own territory, the Bucs wouldnt of scored on their "sorry" defense in the playoffs. And it still took a botched snap at the potentially game winning field goal for the Bucs to secure a win.

I believe that There are 3 teams that can seriously compete and have a GREAT shot at a title.

Washington
    The Rams
    and
    The Colts

With serious potentials going to
    Tampa Bay
    the Titans
    and
    Jacksoville.

11. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

"Prime Time" is "Past Due". He hasn't been in form for 2 years and he is only slowing down with his injury problems. The Redskins are still just a "paper" tiger. While I do doubt my RECORD 5 time superbowl champs Boys can knock them off this year, they still have Norv there to screw it up and the Bay is a paper tiger as well with even more results to build on (Tampa that is). How any Texan can like the Skins is beyond me, I just hope they pull a Quitten.

------------------

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Rams are Not Going to repeat The team to watch this year is the Raiders . They have been stockpiling Defensive Players , And the AFC WEST can be won by anybody

------------------
    Proud owner of 271 different Hakeem Olajuwon Basketball cards

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

If the Broncos sign Steve Young, watchout, they will be tough.

------------------
    Well blow me down-popeye

14. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Dreamer, you confirmed the "Paper tiger" point. They have some hole and doubts, and until they prove it consistently on the field, it is still just paper. Football more than any sport is a team game where coaching and player specialization make the most impact on success (that is why Gibbs put together such powerhouses with no HoF players on offense, yet could beat teams with immensely more gifted individuals-young Cowboys, mature Bills, mature 49ers). This current group of Redskins have proved nothing yet.

As for TB, they didn't have a good game against the Skins. But they very easily could of beat the Rams on carpet no less. They have one hole alone, and that is the QB position. I personally think they are idiots not signing Marino, George, or even better, Steve Young, and having King ride the bench another year or two. King has shown some leadership, but the guy is very inaccurate. I do think they have a much better than average running game, any good defense just about can stop a 1 dimensional offense. Keyshawn alone may be enough to provide a little balance.

Still, the most talented team, has been the last 2 years, is the Jaguars. Of course this paper tiger and their coach tightens up and chokes deep in the playoffs, hopefully just like the paper tiger Skins will. This should finally be Jvills year (they have all the pieces), but they have to prove it on the field.

The Colts still do not have enough weapons nor the defense yet. They still need another steady receiver and a couple of defensive playmakers. Give them a couple of more years though (then again they have Mora, who is even tighter than Coughlin, to screw it up when the going gets tough).

Rams are one hit wonders in my book. They won't play all their playoff games this year on the fast track, and have to play some decent regular season competition that will beat them up physically, I don't look for a duplicate season.

------------------

15. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

PhiSlammaJamma - I am with you all the way. This year the Titans will not fall one yard short. They will win it all!!

I think Steve McNair showed the NFL everything on that last drive in the Super Bowl. I think that was one of the best drives I have ever seen. Too bad Dyson came one yard short. McNair has the skills to pay the bills!!! Eddie George is the man! Javon Kerse will wreck havoc on any offense. The Titans have a great coach in Jeff Fischer and a solid team. Both offense and defense.

I think the Titans have the hunger and desire to go back to the Super Bowl. And this time they will win it all.

BobFinn - I believe that Steve Young made his decision and it was to retire as 49er.

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

It's totally understandable why Cowboys fans(Texans was a bad choice of word, Scarvajal) don't like the Redskins. I was an Ernest Byers fan when I was younger, which is the only real tie I have to the Skins, but I was raised as a Steelers fan and obviously despised the 'Boys.

Unfortunaltely my Steelers have fallen off in recent years. Hopefully they can get Cordell to get back to his running game and "Slash" identity.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

"Slash" Stewart is history . He cant Throw the Ball

------------------
    Proud owner of 271 different Hakeem Olajuwon Basketball cards