1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defund the Cops?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B@ffled, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously not what is meant by "defund" the police. Idea is that police don't need 1/3 of a city's budget and there may be other ways to ensure public safety.

I don't know what they are, but it pays to be open-minded about solutions.

Nook likes this.
  2. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

What happened to your city Judo is what’s happening to a lot of cities in America where liberals are in charge with liberal logic. I was always a big fan of the Vikings growing up and my dad took me to the old Met stadium to watch Tarkenton scrambling around in the backfield. We traveled from out of town, which showed you how crazy I was for the Vikings. I’ve always loved Minnesota and the Twin cities. The people were nice, warm, chilled and the least discriminatory, the state is beautiful with all of the lakes( land of the 10000 lakes). I was there last year for the state fair, stayed a few days extra, walked around the Twin Cities for awhile, and I was not happy. The Twin Cities have turned into shiet like other cities I have mentioned to you, including my own Emerald city. The only way I feel that you can restore these cities is to kick every last one of these losers out of office and get the good non corrupt people in to rebuild.

#102 generalthade_03, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You saw Tarkenton play? You're older than I thought.

Regarding Minneapolis even with the problems of last week I think this is still a good city when compared to many American cities. There are some very deep problems obviously that long predate the current leadership. While I'm critical of both Frey and my own City Council I don't hold them responsible for everything that happened. Neither the murder of George Floyd or even the rioting and looting. There were some tactical mistakes and I don't think Frey is capable of handling the conflicting interest groups but given the numbers that the LE was facing in the early days of the protests I don't think anyone could've stopped the widescale destruction and looting.

I don't know where you went in the Twin Cities but Minneapolis has been developing a lot in the last 20 years. On many levels including economic development it has been doing very well. Much better than most cities in the Midwest. One reason why I'm so critical of the destruction and looting of Lake Street was that much of the parts of Lake St were developing and longstanding poverty there was being turned improved due to new businesses, many locally owned, opening along it. All of the progress made was under Democratic and even Green Party leadership as the Republican party is the third place party in the city, at one point it dropped as low as fourth. I'm not impressed with Jacob Frey and don't think he will win reelection. Given public pressure he might not even make it till then. The last two mayors haven't been good but RT Rybeck who was mayor for most of the time I was here I thought was very capable. He was far more pragmatic than Frey.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When I heared that he was the training officer I thought he might have been trying to be a bad ass It also explains somewhat why the others did not try harder to stop him.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Everybody has a hot take.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The nostalgia of the white genociders.

Minnesota was the least discriminatory, until the liberals showed up. Land of the lakes, billions of lakes. Great lakes, big lakes, powerful lakes. Nobody's seen so many lakes. Now it's so unfair with the liberals. People used to be nice, kind, warm. Bring over hot chocolate in the winter. Great hot chocolate. Nobody's ever seen so much hot chocolate. Then there was the Vikings, the Vikes. I call them.... the Vikes. Great Vikes, nobody's ever seen such great Vikes. Vikings, it's a Scandabanavian term for great football players. We would watch the ole Franny Tarkenton. Fran Tarkenton. I called him Tark. The great Tark. Some people say he was the best Tark.

o_O

7. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I’m an old fart, I go way back to the Purple People Eaters defense, Page, Eller, Larsen, Marshall.
    Need some more work on the impression, not bad but you’re missing this important hook, Orange man says everything twice, you know” I’m gonna get the papers, get the papers”.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So many dumb people in the world

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If a city has no police force, people and businesses are going to move to another city that has the police.
    when all these people move, there goes the tax dollars for the city.
    then where are they going to get the tax money to pay for all the other services?

generalthade_03 and Corrosion like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard some of the stories about the that D. One interesting fact was that Alan Page went on to be a MN Supreme Court Justice for many years and is still active in the Minnesota Community.

generalthade_03 likes this.
  11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Useless? Discussing something that is real, and leads DIRECTLY to anarchy? How is that useless?

B@ffled likes this.
  12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Defunding the police departments is just a patently stupid idea. That so many people support it is shocking to me. I suspect all those Minneapolis council members who support it would change their minds quickly if the people who disagreed decided to go to their homes and burn their house down...and there was nobody to call and nothing they could do about it.

It's a knee jerk response that has no thought put into it, at all. It would lead directly to vigilante justice, and a massive increase in violence. Crime would shoot up, people would be scared, they'd arm themselves, and with no police there, they would be forced to defend themselves...and in most cases use lethal force, because, again, there would be no police to call, at any point.

Further, would be the reaction of the more affluent populace? They'd leave...it's not safe to stay in places without law and order. Businesses would flee...as crime would be rampant and losses would skyrocket. Those supporting this would be be intentionally destroying their own city.

How anyone could think that's a good idea is really beyond me.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's hard to formulate if this is a good idea until a firm plan is created.

Nook and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You know what's stupid? Republicans that are anti-union but still support these scumbags in every way, shape, form, and fashion. We need real reform on how police operate in this country yet people like you will continue to miss the big picture. This here is a solid start but as always expect Republicans to pull the same act they do with the President...deny and deflect at every turn to make progress against a corrupt system.

"The proposal is expected to ban police chokeholds and racial profiling, require nationwide use of body cameras, subject police to civilian review boards and abolish the legal doctrine known as qualified immunity, which protects police from civil litigation, according to congressional sources."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...form-proposal-after-floyd-death-idUSKBN23F161

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it is quite ironic that Defund the Police is a very Reaganite, small government idea but it'll be the liberals who champion it and the conservatives who will oppose it. Look at the policy ideas here. We spend too much public money on this function of policing. They have had organizational creep into functions where they don't have any talent for or business serving. They over-regulate and get in the way of people living their lives. Regulators are capricious in applying the rules. We will operate more efficiently without government constantly sticking their nose in. Government is not the solution; government is the problem. The only thing that seems different is that the conservative would just shrink the budget and cut taxes, whereas the DtP liberals would keep the budget and spend on other things.

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

deleted

B@ffled likes this.
  18. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Most of us agree that defunding the police is a non-starter. I’d be curious to see anything that supports your statement that republicans support these scumbags. I assume you’re speaking about the bad apples in the police force. Or does scumbag mean entire police force? The lines are blurred nowadays. I support the police and denounce the bad apples.

19. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Policing has become a big time business. I’m including the prison system with it to broaden the scope of what I see as the ‘police industry’. I do believe we should start with the prison business. That will trickle down. But then what? I don’t have an answer. Less police on the streets? I don’t know if that’s a good idea or not. I never thought the problem was too many but rather the ones who abuse their position of power. I’d say, throw more funding into the psychological filtering and monitoring. I wonder what this meathead’s Facebook or online posts reveal about him.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Depends on what defunding means. Total defunding or some. For example, LA has a 3 billion dollar police budget. Looks like they plan to defund 100-150 million and reassign it to other programs. I can get behind that style of defunding.

Nook likes this.