1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Defund the Cops?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B@ffled, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Piece of **** Tilman Fertitta decided to do a fireworks show near my house last night for a POLICE GALA. 10pm? Inside the loop? Everyone has ****ing dogs. Why do the police suck him off so hard? Defund them if all they are going to do is bend over for this piece of ****.

Ruined my dog's night. Ruined my basketball team. Ruining the Big 12 by inserting shitty teams (lulz).

**** I hate this culture we have where we worship narcissistic weasels.

tinman likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And what will you do next year when that graph shows the opposite?

I'm going to bet you won't be posting it.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Andre0087 and Corrosion like this.
  4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Reform the Police.

Andre0087, subtomic and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a Minneapolis resident I largely agree with that Op-Ed and one of the reasons why I voted against question 2. It was vague and the lead up to it was confusing. What many outside of Minnesota might not have heard is that the language of the question was almost rejected by a state judge.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. subtomic

Supporting Member

The OpEd makes a lot of sense to me. Accountability remains probably the biggest obstacle to better policing and as the author believes this particular referendum inadequately addressed accountability, it seems another solution would be better.

Out of curiosity, did the local newspapers endorse the referendum?

Xerobull likes this.
  8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

9. Invisible Fan

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did Mexico pay for them?

Xerobull likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

A genrous gift from Ferntits.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Minneapolis Startribune didn't endorse it. I'm not aware of what other local media said.

subtomic likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Tangentially related, why are we still relying on cops to police traffic infractions? It's archaic with our technology. Cameras are everywhere, institute micro-ticketing for every infraction within certain parameters. This will drive self-policing and the demand for self-driving cars, work from home jobs and following the law. I'm admittedly a push-the-boundaries driver but it's largely because I want to get around poor drivers and get to my destination so this would affect me.

It would reduce the reliance on cops in cars and cut down on police-related traffic accidents. You could dispute these infractions via online portals using your own GPS, phone and car camera records. If you aren't happy with the outcome you could then go to court. Property taxes have a very similar procedure now so the infrastructure is there.

There is still a need for cops on the road but they could be in interceptor type situations. I know cops rely on ticketing reasons to pull over suspicious cars/drivers but they could still use the same reasoning without being the nexus for tickets and causing every driver within sight to slam on their brakes. It would cut down on their paperwork tremendously and free them to do actual policework.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just proves there is nothing common about sense.

DD

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think that’s fair, cuts down on confrontation concerns that may lead to a bad situation involving non compliance issues.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. subtomic

Supporting Member

Main reason is because even traffic laws are subject to the reasonable doubt standard, and technology wise, traffic cams aren’t yet a reliable way to identify the drivers of a car. Sure the car can be identified, but we issue tickets to people, not cars.

Slyonebluejay, Ottomaton and Xerobull like this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Cops are underpaid, especially in certain big cities, but enough with the whining and over-the-top display of support with the weirdo bumper stickers* and flags. Whatever happened to Gary Cooper? The strong, silent type. Now that was an American.

*I know some do this merely to curry favor with cops in case their caught committing minor traffic violations.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ai the cops