1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defensive adjustments....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stevie Wonder, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

I'm curious on something and why Adelman hasn't atleast tried to mix it in alittle bit. Why not play Battier on Deron for some stretches of the game? If Battier truly is our best defender why not try it out. Considering Deron is killing us, why not let Battier chase him around, use his size and body him up. I don't see any Jazz player really killing us outside of Deron. In fact, Scola and Hayes have done a great job on Boozer limiting his scoring.

People will say then who does Rafer guard? Slide him over to Brewer, so what Brewer is bigger? it's not like he has a post game. He's been primarily a jump shooter except for the occasional drive to the hoop. Play Rafer on Brewer and Tmac on AK47 who he should be guard anyways and AK47 has a limited offenisve game. It just makes sense to have Battier guard Deron for some of the game and slow him down. I'd rather have Brewer score make a couple of extra baskets then Deron keep putting up huge numbers and keeping them in the game. Brewer won't kill you, Deron will.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the possible defensive switch, atleast part of the game.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I agree with this. Changing up the defensive player on Tmac has worked. Why shouldn't we try the same thing on Deron. The only thing I would add is, put Hayes on him when he's shooting well. Hayes has tricks up his sleeve for making sure you don't catch fire.

My idea isn't to play Hayes on him for heavy minutes, only a few plays during the whole game. Maybe 3 in total. The idea is to get the guy off balance. Once that happens, defending him becomes easier.

3. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

if deron can blow past our fastest players, why do you think shane can keep infront of him?

I like what Adelman is diong now, let him do what he wants to. He has "just a little" more experience than us

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I think Adelman's already made the best possible adjustments he could've in this series. I mean we should've been headed into overtime in game 2 and we won game 3. Considering the fact we have no Rafer in the first two games, thats a pretty impressive result.

I think with Rafer back he's finally found a good rotation. Scola Landry Battier T-mac Rafer. Hayes will definitely get less minutes, Landry more.

5. tofu--

tofu-- Member

If he's blowing past our fastest players, what could it hurt to put Shane on him? :p

I talked about this with my friend and I actually think that having Shane on Deron for a few possession won't hurt. Shane has outstanding team defense so I'm not worried about him missing a few rotations, and I think Shane is probably the best on-the-ball defender we have-- at the very least he'll disrupt Deron's jumper a lot more than our players right now are doing. The only issue is you'd be giving up a lot of size on the person that Shane is supposed to be guarding at the time no matter who we throw in there, given how size-disadvantaged we are as it is.

But yeah, Adelman should do what works, and tonight we pulled out the win so I'm not complaining.

6. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

2 words...More Luther....lol

7. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Defensive adjustments? Try to stop or at least limit Deron Williams, The Jazz go as far as he goes.

If he doesn't play well than they Jazz doesn't play well.

8. battousai

battousai Member

If shane is guarding Deron, we would be down 0-3. Shane will get fouled out, and he won't be able to do anything at all.

Deron will simply take the basket to the hole everytime. shane can't match his speed.

Shane is defensive stopper, who can read players move and adjust and antipate the move, then drawing charges.

same reason why shane isn't guarding boozer, as he will be simply out powered.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For any of you watching the Hornets/Mavs game 3, you can see the best way to slow down an all-world PG: Make them work on defense. Jason Kidd is wearing Chris Paul out on offense by backing him in, shoving him around and going to the rack. Paul doesn't know what to do with Kidd and his effort on offense is suffering accordingly.

We don't have a PG on our team to challenge Deron Williams so get used to the fact he will make hay the entire series.

10. Tuan

Tuan Member

Stick Tmac on him.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

We need to put Novak on Boozer.

12. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Shane's not quick enough to cover him. Strong enough and talented enough yes. But no where near quick enough.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

we need to put Novak on the DL.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Agree totally.

That's why I personally believe the PG rotation should start with Brooks playing with McGrady, then bring in Rafer and BJax as a combo when you rest McGrady/Brooks. Then bring out Shane and bring back McGrady to play the 3 a few minutes with a still small backcourt. Then bring in Brooks for BJax. Then bring in Shane for Rafer.

15. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Put Shane on Deron, and watch AK47 post up Rafer all game long? Or, put Mac on AK and get warn out by a bigger player, while we watch Ronnie Brewer become the human highlight reel on our PGs, followed by a healthy dose of Matt Harping.

Face it, Rafer is our best defender of pick and roll point guards. Shane would get eaten alive on the PNR. Jackson is too slow, and Brooks is too small. Plus, you lose the playmaking edge of Alston on the offensive side of the ball.

16. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

well shane is kinda injured remember?