1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defense - Breakdown on the layups...your analysis Spock !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 7, 2009.

1. DieHard Rocket

The one thing that I liked most about JVG was that he was relentless when it came to coaching defense. Even on what appeared to be a good defensive night, he would not be satisfied and sometimes would be downright upset at the teams play (even if maybe deep down he liked the way the defense played). I think that standard he held them to is what made us so tough defensively over that period.

I think Adelman is a very good coach, but he nor anyone else in the league really has that mentality coaching defense (maybe Tom Thibodeaux).

If only we could blend the two coaches and lose Adelmans defensive shortcomings and JVG's offensive shortcomings, with a nice balance of JVG's stubbornness and Adelman's calm, more player-friendly demeanor.

2. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Our coach is the problem too when we talk our defense, it was so bad for a while, and nothing has been done. I would say Deke will not be in the game in the close game case even when we are bad in the defense, our coach would put Scola into the center position to get a point rather than take a chance to block a shot by Deke.

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

The problem with going with Chuck right now is that he's not effective without a healthy Tracy Mcgrady. Chuck can get away with his offensive liability only when there is a healthy TMAC attacking the rim and dishing to him for easy layins. Now, with a very suspect MAC out there, and no penetration whatsoever to speak off (outside Vafer), you just simply can't have Chuck out there. Defenses will simply leave him open and dare the Rockets to find him, which, as everyone knows, we can't.

So now with Chuck on the court, you'll have an excellent defender, granted, but you'll get 2 mediocre offensive liabilities as well (Tmac is one right now).

#43 HeyDude, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Deke would've come in handy against the Cleveland game, and in future foreseeable games like that, against bigger teams. I guarantee you that if they had Dalembert and Brand both in the lineup, we'd have seen Deke. The problem here was they had Dalem and a bunch up rn and gun guys in the game. Now how in the world is Deke gonna block a shot or 2 when all the other team does is fastbreak?? That'd be just disastrous !!

The only things to be done last night were to have quicker guys on the floor (which Adleman had as we made the last run in the 4th quarter), and not turn the ball over (unfortunately we did that too much). The reason we could not complete the win was cause Shane was not in (the quick lineup can only be successful if they help each other, and w/o Shane, there's really 0 help coming), and TMAC and Brooks were terrible offensively.

5. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Two words:

Artest and Battier

Bad defense should be EXPECTED without those two.

They better play tonight or Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are scoring at will. It's gonna get ugly. I laugh at the notion of Wafer and TMac even attempting to cover those two.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

4 stars....Sheesh....it proves that haters will hate no matter what the threads content is...

DD

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

LOL not that you did it for approval, but I just gave ya 5 stars so you are back up again.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I have a theory that people will just rate threads based upon posters they think like, or agree with or disagree with and not on the content of the posts.

I have never been one to complain about the GARM, but honestly, it has degraded, very little real topics anymore, and when someone does post one, it gets lost in a sea of smut.

Not sure there is an answer, but I finally see what a lot of the other old timers have been saying.

DD

9. professorjay

professorjay Member

Good tidbit. It certainly fits what's happening right now. I agree w/ your take on it too. We went from having a defensive identity to a dazed and confused one.

Thanks for the analysis DaDa.

10. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

now i really have seen everything in this GARM

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I know, but even for someone with my high tolerances of fan frustration, it has gotten to be too much.

Smeg any thoughts on the team and the thread, or did you just come in here to snipe?

:D

DD

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

after years of trying to break down stuff and getting snowed by threads and posts over reacting and sniping at the smallest things... ie an online version of am radio talkback the irony of this thread is like drowning in a vat of peanut butter...

that aside the bits just don't fit, maybe they didn't fit before but JVG got them to play hard and in combination with Thibbideuax had some logical, safe and very team oriented defensive schemes... now it seems like it more just the individual talents of the players, and missing the drawning them together, such that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole......

what is the team personality, what are they going to hang their hat on? Celtics last year had their intensity, the Spors had milking every possession, the Pistons had there D and playing team offense.... what are the rockets known for, not to be humourous but right now its injuries and if what you read is right team mates accusing others of not playing hard....

your breakdown is awesome, those defensive breakdowns are mostly mental and committment, they don't seem to care enough on D, and maybe the strategies are just not as good, last year it appears they just kept JVG schemes in place, surely this year they are Rick's

Individually there are some players who can play D, although in many cases our best defensive players are probably on the downside and getting by on reputation ie battier and artest.....

Girls name has never been particularly committed to D, and now he just flat out doesn't care, Yao is yao, he has some defensive skills and also some limitations, Alston for me is terrible but at times can at least stay in front of his player, Landry and Scola are ok on D

they need a committment to play D and as this is a players league this needs to come from the leaders, Girls Name is not helping here and I'm not sure Yao is listened to, so who pushes them to get a stop? if there isn't that committment then the breakdowns will continue

think i'll go back to lurking, this trip into bizarro DaDa Garm land has me very scared, next thing you know HeyP will appear and agree with you and then start loving Manu

13. Precision340

Precision340 Member

rhester you hit it right on the head.. we have to get back to defense first or we're going nowhere fast.. thanks DD for taking the time to recap

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I agree with everything you said, that their identity and lack of committment is just not there.

Tonight they played hard, the first quarter stunk then, they rediscovered defense.

I think having Ron in there is a big deal on D, either Ron or Battier would help immensly, Battier more so on team D, Ron on individual D.

Confidence is a fickle thing, and the locker room is in turmoil, winning cures all ills, let's just hope that the team can grow from this, and everyone on it can grab an oar and row in the same direction for the rest of the season.

I still love ya Smeg, I just enjoy the noise and the venting, where you don't, and I can respect that.

DD

15. arif1127

arif1127 Member
    Supporting Member

Great job DD. Strong analysis, it backs up what I was thinking all game long, fake hustle by Tmac, terrible team defense, and Yao played weak.
    Tonight was much better after the first quarter, actually making a man hit a shot with a hand in his face makes a huge difference in shooting percentages.

Defense! Defense!! Defense!!!