1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defending Hakeem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jared Novak, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

So I was in Vegas this past weekend touring, shopping and gambling with friends and family. While walking through Caesar's I stopped to look at a couple of items in Field of Dreams. Near the back of the store they have a large framed piece that has the NBA's 50 Greatest Players with picture and autograph underneath that was going for 100K.

Anyway, I wasn't the only person who was admiring this piece of memorabilia, when I heard a lady near by say the one of the dumbest things in my entire life. She said," I don't know why Hakeem Olajuwon is on here, he was good but is definitely not one of the top 50." My wife knowing that I am a diehard Rockets fan quickly touched my arm and just nodded at me and proceeded to tell the woman that we were from Houston and asked her if she'd ever seen Hakeem play, because she thought he was amazingly agile for a big man and became a Rockets fan when she met me. The lady and her girlfriend replied that they were casual fans and really started watching basketball when the WNBA started and gradually moved over to watching the NBA. With teeth marks on my tongue I chimed in that she might want to watch the 1994 Playoffs, the 1995 playoffs, especially the 1995 WCF when the Admiral was calling Hakeem daddy.

Even though I found out that this lady didn't have alot of basketball knowledge, it really pissed me off to hear this woman say such a thing. It really let me know how ignorant some people are about greats from the past, even the recent greats. On the flipside I was really proud that my wife quickly jumped in and let this lady know that Hakeem was great and that she should re-evaluate her statement.

#1 Jared Novak, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. JamesC

JamesC Member

Spoken like a true clutchfan!!! You and your wife are my heroes, lol. :D

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

awesome.

anyone that knows anything knows that if hakeem would have a better grasp on the english language he would have been tons more popular and would have made a lot more money for himself.

always used to make me sad the few times i saw him i think in voit shoe ads or whatever shoe deal he had.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Women analyzing sports........

Do I even need to complete this sentence?

5. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Wouldn't expect someone from Vegas to know anything about basketball, much less Hakeem. Should've told her that MJ even said he was glad he and the Dream never met in the finals.. and that you would've pimp slapped her had it been against your beliefs to hit mentally r****ded women.

6. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

you should have punched her in the face right away after hearing this crap. :mad:

7. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

I hate ignorant people that opens their yapper just because they like to hear themselves talk. Did you ask if she was from Utah?

Good job defending the Dream, but honestly you guys should have said more then that. I'm sure everyone there knew she was dumb or making a ridiculous comment, but man you got to make her know that she is r****ded and that she should really think twice, no 4 times, before she opens that mouth.

8. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

see my point above.. *shakes head*

There are females out there that do know sports

There are guys out there, that are not gay, that do know how to put on make up, groom eye brows, and pick out "cute" hand bags.

I know it was meant as a joke, but its really not that funny.

9. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

congrats on getting the best wife ever

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Yeah Jordan wasnt that great, he wasnt even the best player on that Wizards team. How in the world can be he be in top 10? :D

11. tested911

tested911 Member

She started watching casually when the WNBA started? That explains it all.

12. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

and why was she commenting when she only started watching when the WNBA started? Wasn't that only 10 years ago at most?

13. Precision340

Precision340 Member

your wife should have punched that lady in her pie hole!! :D

14. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

You started a whole thread for this?! If I started a thread I heard someone disrespect the Rockets, this place would be called ClutchRiceDaddy7.net.

15. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

I can't defend him, you can only hope to contain him.

16. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Touche' :D

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you bet 34 on the roulette wheel?
    I do :)

Good work warrior! protect this house!

18. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

you are a very very lucky man. good job sticking up for dream, very underappreciated by the causal fan. but those who truly know the game and those named shaq patrick and specially david robinson will all know exactly why he was the top 50 and top 5 big men...he truly revolutionized the position...but i cant say anything about dream that you all at clutchfans dont already know

respect the dream!

19. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

you should have given her a dreamshake right there and dunked on her face whilst your wife did a Bill Worrell commentary.

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

No need to be a sexist jerk. It's not like most guys know what the hell they are talking about either.