1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deep Dumbtoni thoughts...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Feb 2, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@SwoLy-D comes up with the most clever thread titles.

Jontro and BamBam like this.
  2. kiwirocketsfan

I reckon MDA will let a teams talent take them as far as it allows.

I don't think he can make the whole exceed the parts.

Not a criticism just an observation.

csc177 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Exactly this. He runs a great system when he has the right personnel. He’s a very good coach but we were all ripping our hair out by his over-reliance on Harden iso + kick out threes / short rotations in the playoffs. It is what it is. Not the most well-rounded coach but fabulous in certain situations.

I’m both glad we hired him in that particular era of Harden’s emergence + Morey’s willingness to embrace his style, but also completely understand why he was considered fool’s gold after NY/LA.

banzai and Kevooooo like this.
  4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

;)...:)...:D...:confused:...o_O...:mad:

DeBeards likes this.
  5. csc177

csc177 Member

MDA may have arguably the best offensive trio ever assembled at his disposal. If he doesn’t win a chip with this team - I don’t want to hear anymore talk about him, his offense, or his concepts that influenced other teams, His legacy will be just what is it now, a great offensive mind and that’s it...not a champion or championship leave coach...

I say all that to say I’d be shocked if the nets, barring injury, don’t win a chip this year or the next.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

By Jack Handy

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

2 former Rockets just doing amazing things.

So smart, so skilled.

Anyone think that was one of D'Antoni's league leading ATO's or just Harden being Harden?

#107 D-rock, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    HP3 likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

Building and maintaining requires different level of work. From constructing bridges to writing software, more effort goes into the build. That's not to say the person maintaining isn't qualified to design, but the amount of work is different. There was a question when Silas was coming in. He could have been hired as a 'maintainer' with Harden/Russ, but plans quickly changed with the trades. All things considered, I think Silas and his assistants are doing an above average job. While it may or may not be temporary the current new Rocket coaches are building something new.

On the original subject: MDA, that moniker is a bit disrespectful as he had given some solid years to the organization. I personally would rather him play more of the younger guys or be less rigid on his system. For timeouts, he use the philosophy where guys should play through it. Usually coaches do that on an older team. You can also say he may be too player friendly. Some of this is overcorrection from his past gigs, with guys like Melo who didn't buy in. His Lakers stint was short. In the Harden era, him and the superstars (cp3/harden/russ) got along.

The over-reliance on three, I think the idea is still good, as modern NBA still trended this way. 'Not shooting enough 3's' was a regret he had in his Sun's days. So he did it... a lot here. It is what it is. Last year when the writing was on the wall, I was like 'F it', let MDA do it his way, get it out of his system, maybe it'll lead somewhere. The experiment ended, but the team gave it a shot.

At the end of the day, Dumbtoni can't be that dumb if the guy... played pro ball in Italy, became Kobe's hero. Was NBA head coach for several franchises. Is a millionaire. He stayed classy in his time in HOU, never bad mouthed the fans nor city.

I wish him well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#108 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    HP3, BamBam and D-rock like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m still wondering what’s been so beautiful about our offense under Silas so far this year

on the season, we are 28th in passes per game, and 23rd in assists per game

we are also 2nd in ISO possessions per game and 1st in isolation frequency, yet for some reason this offense is getting labeled as beautiful, fun, exciting, etc

I guess the negative bias towards MDA has people trying to talk stuff that isn’t happening into existence...this being some ball movement heavy team that plays beautiful basketball under Silas is such a hoax that gets repeated on here all the time...it’s just a bunch of scrubs driving and kicking to each other or Wall, EG, and Dipo taking their man off the dribble...then u sprinkle in the threes that they shoot at a mediocre percentage as usual (23rd in 3 point percentage)

Rocket River, MettaWorldPete and HP3 like this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Nets lost 3 in a row with Harden and Kyrie playing but it's all good, "Nash is great!"

Meanwhile Silas has old and busted players coming and going, "what's the matter with him?!?"

BamBam likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Brooklyn must be in your head...my post has nothing to do with them

HP3 likes this.
  12. MettaWorldPete

A lot of people are ripping on Nash super hard, and I have been very unimpressed (of course, he has no coaching experience to be fair). However, to be brutally honest, I am confident he would have prevented us from scoring one point in eight minutes and seven in a quarter. It will take a lot for Silas to regain my trust/respect after that.

To my eyes, both teams look like **** with a head coach in over his head. Both can right the ship with more HC experience and help from the GMs to make a more winnable roster though.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. ipaman

It's obvious I'm defending Silas and comparing him to Nash. Give SIlas Harden, Kyrie, and the rest and then... you can tell me about his offense. Instead he has both legs and hands tied behind his back and you want him to dance?

Regarding he system, Silas needs 5 players who can dribble drive pass and read and react. Doesn't have those guys or if he does they are always in and out.

14. riko

riko Member

Silas system is shoot threes ..

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

yet Silas’ offense has been called beautiful, exciting, and people keep claiming it’s been ball movement heavy when it hasn’t

comparing him to Steve Nash is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with what I said

28th in passes per game and 1st in isolations, but there’s supposedly so much ball movement...hoax

16. ipaman

let me give you a piano with missing keys, a guitar with no strings, busted up bass, and then i'll say play me some sweet sweet music.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

yet another post that’s irrelevant to what I’m talking about

HP3 likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

MDA isn't even the head coach so I doubt this is going to close any books definitively on a 40 year basketball career just because it doesn't tickle your fancy.

19. ipaman

bro are you for real... you don't see it and i'm telling you why. but again just like silas, his offense, and the broken pieces he's using to show it, you don't see it. you blind fool...