1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deep Draft...Would you trade a future 1st?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jev5555, May 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With this years draft as deep as it is...would you guys trade a future first rd to someone...say Portland for a pair of their second rounders? I'm not sure what the rules say about trading DP for DP, whether its legal or a player must be involved but I think we could land someone like Sean Williams in the 2nd who would fit the bill as a strong physical 4 without giving up this years #1 which even @ 26 will still be a stud pick.

Let me know what you think...

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I would be ok if we trade one or two guys and our pick for someone in the top 10 spot, I don't think we could get a lot out of the 20-30 guys

3. superden

superden Contributing Member

This is a deep deep draft. Any two first round picks would be great to have.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i guess it would depend who is there but i think they should hang on to there 1st round picks for a while.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the rockets weakness is thier lack of talent.

only 2 players can score over 20 points in a game. if rafer or luther hit that mark you know they were in trouble.

look at teams like the mavs, suns and spurs. they have about 4 players who can go off for 20+ on an give night. the rockets need to add more scorers.

i doubt that will come from the draft. i would advise them to trade the pick for proven talent. package the pick with some players if need be. whatever upgrades the talent on this team is fine with me.

the rockets don't need depth sitting on the bench for a rainy day. they need to package a couple of assets for one better, game changing, asset.

6. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Look guys, anything after 12 is really a crapshoot. I would prefer they trade this year's pick and 1 or 2 players for Mike Bibby. With Bibby we know what we will be getting. You will not pick up a player that will score 15+ next year after the 15th pick.

7. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

thats the kind of thinking that has handcuffed us into the cap hell we are currently in.
    you cannot get by through free agency alone, unless you are content with the mediocrity that adding a MLE talent every year provides.

The ability to draft and develop talent in the later picks of the first round is something every power team in the west has proven to be effective at. Plus the rookie contracts have a considerably smaller impact against the cap than do free agent signings...allowing more flexibility in the future to add pieces once larger contracts expire.

8. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

so we trade for bibby and suffer the luxury and cap hell of 3 max players on one roster...don't even get me started on how clouded people have become in their perception of bibbys abilities at this point in his career.

the draft this year is perhaps as deep as it will ever be. you aren't drafting for an immediate impact as much as you are a contributing piece a little further down the road. without the commitment to developing younger talent we are compromising the future of the franchise.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Trade a future first round pick for 2 second round picks in this years draft?

Um, no.

This is only a deep draft (1) on paper, and (2) relative to past drafts. Next year's class may be deeper. And then the 09 class may be even deeper. Who knows.

It'd be nice to trade up in this year's draft, but who knows if that is possible.

Considering the Rockets historical success and failures at the draft, stayign where we are seems perfect. If we can find another Luther head, just at a different position (PF or PG) at the 26th pick, that'd be great. And, unless we're drafting 1st overall, this seems to be our sweet spot.

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

good points. when luther or rafer are your 3rd scoring threat...its ugly. Rockets need someone else that can put up fairly consistant scoring numbers..at least above 15 pts. At a good %.

T
    true, but if the rockets wait aroud for guys to develop for too long then chances are, yao and tmac could be on the doorstep of retirement due to injuries. Rockets need guys that can contribute now. That doesnt have to be veterans of course, rookies can contribute right away but "projects" need to be kept to a minimum.

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I'm hoping Phoenix wants to dump some picks for cash consideration so we can get

24: Marco Bellinili
    26: Marcus Williams
    29: Glen Davis

12. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

it would probably take more than cash considerations to get two first rounders.

would anyone be willing to trade luther for 24 and 29?

13. JayZ750

It'd be great to move up in the draft by trading with a team that either doesn't need to depth, or is having cap issues. Only a few things come to mind, though. Detroit, because do they really need the 15th pick in the draft this year. Philadelphia and Charlotte because they each have 2 picks.

What about something like the below? Is this Rocket's red glasses I'm looking through, or would it make sense:

Houston Trades: Juwan, Battier, Sura, V-Span, Head, 26th pick
    Philadelphia Trades: Dalembert, Korver, Willie Green, 21st pick

From our perspective, this does keep us in "cap hell", but it also gets us back 2 starters and a bench player, and a move up in the draft. The big loss is obviously Battier.

Philly still has their higher draft pick, still has a lower 1st round pick, and gets Battier, who provides some stability to their team. Plus the trade contracts with lengths of 4 year, 3 years and 4 years for contracts with lengths of 2 years, 4 years (but for Shane), 1 year and cuttable at reduced rate (Sura), 2 years and 2 years.

Or maybe trade with Charlotte...

Houston Trades : Bob Sura, 26th pick
    Charlotte Trades: Brevin Knight, 22nd pick

Here's one that would never happen...

Houston Trades: T-Mac, Bob Sura, 26th pick
    Houston Receives: Mike Bibby, Ron Artest, 10th pick ;)

don't know...can't really see any moves out there

#13 JayZ750, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  14. Nero

Nero Member

I would trade this year's #1 and next year's #1 to move up into the teens and grab Acie Law if he is available.

I would do that, seeing as how (hopefully) next year's #1 is going to be late-20's again.

Law is exactly what we need.

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

personally im a little sick of trading away first round picks. Thats one way rockets got into a lot of trouble

16. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

draft trades are so hard to predict, alot of them really just blind side you...I mean who saw the battier trade coming last year? there is alot more that goes on then fans with limited knowledge of a teams real opinion on players in a given draft as well as a true understanding of their teams own cap situation.
    I mean how much can one person really pull out of the limited media sources which seem to simply mimick one another in what they are feeding the public...
    ...of course it is still fun to guess :D

in regards to your post, being a fan of Dalembert's talents myself I did a little investigating on a few sixers boards to gauge their willingness to part with Sam in a trade. and, unfortunately he is held in a pretty high regard amongst the philly faithful. in a league in high demand for true centers in the league, it's not suprising that they feel, unless they are getting a legit all-star in return they are better off as a team holding on to him. makes sense...
    ...for that reason I would have to venture a guess that Philly wouldn't be too keen on your trade.

the Charlotte trade would probably be difficult to sell as well. The bobcats are so far under the cap that they were struggling to sign enough players to reach the league required minimum salary last season. so a potential salary dump in which they swap for a worse draft pick is not going to be in their best interest.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i would to.

i think next years pick will be even a spot or two lower.

18. JayZ750

very valid observations.

the frustration is that the Rockets need both young talent, and veteran talent.

They probably need the veteran talent more immediately, but if you do a move that continues to cripple your flexibility into the future, and that move doesn't pay off, than you are screwed again.

Darly Morey has been put in such a tough spot.....lot of really difficult choices to make, and a lot of execution needed out of the front office.

19. therox3

therox3 Member

The only way we become a quality organization, not just a team that can put up wins, is by developing young talent.

I think it would be great if we could trade up for Acie Law.

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

The point guard issue is not as important as the PF issue. Hopefully we could get Bibby, SF3 , or Mo Williams.