1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deep DoDo!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wattsupdogg, Jul 25, 2000.

Tags:
  1. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

While Langhi looks very good , if we're depending on Collier or Kenny T. to hold the Fort down at the 4 position we are really going to be in trouble!! We have to get some body that can for sure rebound and secondly guard and block someone out and not just stand out by the 3 pt. line! This is getting real scary if we don't find somebody to do the job before the season. But Langhi I think is for real and will contribute nicely this season , while Collier doesn't need to get off the bench. Reminds me of Joe Kline. Oh no!!!

------------------
    Rockets For Better, For Worse......'til death do us part!

[This message has been edited by wattsupdogg (edited July 25, 2000).]

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Kenny was our 4 for the majority of last season, he did alright.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I actually liked what little I saw from Collier tonight. He didn't get to play much because of the foul trouble, and when he did play they repeatedly gave the ball to Kenny Thomas in the low block. But Collier could run with the team, he had some agility, and that hook was falling when he took it. He wasn't great, but I could tell he had some nice offensive moves. His footwork looked nice, he looked to be an excellent post passer (did you see that no look pass?), and he got a couple of those lefty hooks. It wasn't a great night for him, but I wasn't disappointed either. The rebounding will come, as he was the leading rebounder in the ACC, about the top conference in college hoops.

------------------
    http://www.saveourcuttino.com

4. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Yeah, alright, but I guess I'm just begging for a real post presence. Ya know , just somebody with his back to the basket and really block some shots and rebound!

------------------

5. alaskansnowman

Yeah I agree CAT.

While Collier didnt impress me too much, I was not disappointed either.

But what I was disappointed in was Kenny Thomas. He was rebounding very well, and playing tough, but his offense just wasnt there. I was expecting to see some kind of post up fadeway, or a mid-range jumper. Instead, I saw the same old face-up drive over and over again. And the only reason that it occasionally worked was cuz he was able to overpower lowly Scott Padget. While he was gettin fouled a lot, he still needs to show more offensive diversity.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

SirCharlesFan
    Kenny was our 4 for the majority of last season, he did alright.

Hate to point this out be the Rockets only won 30 games last season, playing 'alright' doesn't get you into the playoffs in the NBA.

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

7. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Thats the way I'm feeling, I know we can't expect to jump to the finals in less than a year but I think we have to improve in this area some how some way!!!

------------------

8. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Wonder come Tues. (8/1) if we might here something out of the Magic needing to unload a forward since it is getting crowded at the 3-4 spot down there and they might need our exception, to sign Taylor. Outlaw would help, and know there has been talk already but....

------------------

9. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

Kenny did more than "allright". Our team wasn't very good granted, but if Kenny Thomas didn't impress you with his rookie campaign last year, you don't know a whole lot about basketball.

10. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

And if you thought he did more than alright, you know a whole lot about smoking dope!
    Alright is pretty good for a rook, he's no Francis!

------------------

11. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Smeg, THANK YOU. I am amazed at how few people seem to think that the Rockets were actually a really poor team last year.

Folks, we stunk. If we were half as close to being a competitive team as some seem to think-- just resign Mobley and plug Thomas in for 40 minutes a game, and we're right in the playoff chase-- I think we'd all be a hell of a lot happier.

I like KT as a role player. He'd make a nice fifth option as a starter. But by all means, we should be trying to upgrade at the four.

------------------
    I didn't use the cocaine to get high, I just liked the way it smelled.

12. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

That's your problem dog. You're trying to compare KT with Francis. It's a no win situation.

KT showed he can bang down low and play D. He had some very nice post moves. He is an good passer out of the post and was 4th in Double Doubles and 4th in Boards for Rookies. He was never meant to be our starter either.

Kagy, if we stunk so bad last year, how come you don't want to kid rid of most of our players or do you want to?

Yes, wins and losses was not good. We had essentially no veterans and a lot of guys who have never even played much in this league (or with each other). We lost a ton of games late in the fourth. We also beat the Lakers (with Shaq and Kobe), Portland (twice), Utah, Miami, Phoenix (twice), Sonics and Kings.

We also finished the season by winning 10 of 15. You guys can live in the past with your half empty glasses, but I am looking forward to an awesome team in the years to come.

[This message has been edited by Rocket Freak (edited July 26, 2000).]

13. SlamN

SlamN Member

Robert "Tractor" Traylor. Actually, he's just a bigger version of KT but doesn't have the injury problems KT had in college. He already has a nickname and has a bigger upside. Let's get him in pinstripes. The Rockets need to make some moves if they want to compete, this current roster will allow to make the lottery next year (probably at #8 since Chicago will be out of the lottery).

------------------

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Smeg / Kagy

look at that Glass Again. . . .

It *is* half Full
    [or at least 3something/82]

To say we was aweful is a lil harsh to me
    I think we all take into consideration
    Injuries, Unexpected acts of cowardous and b*tchery [Read Pippen] and odd illnesses.

A young team. ALOT OF new players.

I don't mean to make excuses
    but come one. . . THERE WERE SOME
    LEGITIMATE *REASONS* for some heavy
    losses.

I think we did we *in spite* of them

Rocket River
    Just a Rocket Fan

------------------

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

SlamN,
    I respectfully disagree with you on the Tractor Traylor issue. Traylor is overweight, and a piss poor 4. Granted, KT is no all star, nor a slim trim player in his own right, but I would feel better with him in the starting line up than Traylor. The ONLY thing that impresses me about Traylor is his ability to handle the ball. Nothing else stands out, except his gut.

If we were to pursue help at the 4, I would feel great about landing Outlaw, Taylor, Fortsen, Joe Smith, Kurt Thomas, or several other free agents out there.

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------

16. SmeggySmeg

Rocket Freak
    Just because I said something you didn't agree with doesn't mean i don't know basketball. Kenny's performance was certainly above standard compared to his draft position, but as others have said he will be nothing more than a good role player on a SUCCESSFUL team. I am not comparing him to Francis, Kenny will certainly be a solid player in this league, but is not the answer as our stud at the 4 spot.

Excuses
    If you are content blaming injuries and our inexperience on our poor record then so be it. But at the end of the day they are just excuses, and generally speaking most team have to put up with combinations of injuries, inexperienced players and aging players every year and as they say when someone gets injured it gives someone else an opportunity.

Sure we had some very good wins last season, but we also had some terrible losses to some very ordinary teams, basically because we don't play any Defense. Please let us improve our defense next season, cause me that was really terrrible, close to non existant last season, now Freak and River if that makes me know nothing about bball, then there are alotof us on bbs who know nothing.

By saying we had a stinky season is not saying the rockets won't be good in the future, it is just saying we were bad last season and sitting pat with the roster is not going to rapidly improve us.

Smeg

PS BrianKagy I'll try not to tell too many people you agree with Smeg.

------------------

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I agree that we have no front line to speak of unless Walt's late-season performance was no fluke and Langhi comes on this year. Our front line is our weakest point. Pick a position on that front line, and we just about sucked last year. The case for optimism is in the way the season ended (ok, excluding perhaps that Vancouver game). The Rockets played well against some of the better playoffs team. That was a marked improvement over what they had shown during the rest of the season. They played Portland, Seattle, Utah, etc. tough, and these were teams positioning for playoff berths.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

18. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

You go Smeg!
    So what ya think the answer will be? You think we'll resign T. Massenburg and hope he stays healthy, I think he would be more of a physical precense but not an answer for the dominate 4's in the league. What if we go another way and pick a center up to back up Dream and let Cato start at PF? We would have less dominate centers to match up with than PF's. Just a thought! Maybe pick up Jahdi White or Jamie Feick or would that take up too much salary cap?

------------------

19. SmeggySmeg

whatsupdogg,

Well that's the 64 million dollar question isn't it.

I personally wouldn't be against resigning Tmass, assuming he is injury free, and combine him with Dream and Cato at the 5 spot. Also i would be nice to keep Cat of course. The 3 spot appears to nicely covered by Anderson, Langhi, and Walt(if he stays). As for the 4 spot, it really depends what we can get in trade for any combination of Drew, Wlat, Rodgers, Pig, Bull and Mooch, cause after a trade we only have the 2million exemption and won't get didly squat for that. I we really like Forston from Boston, but i can't be choosy, we really just need someone to play reasonable minutes and give us a strong contribution at the 4 spot, that is defense, hustle, intensity, intimidation, boards and maybe few points.

Realistically we won't completely solve the problem this year and will have to wait until next years draft to find that stud.

But we really just need to keep improving our roster and then means losing the dead wood.

SmEEEEEEEEE

------------------

20. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Yeah, I don't see anything that could happen till next year either but some minor adjustments unless they did pick up a center and played Cato at the PF. But its gonna be fun and next year will even be better!!

------------------