1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dedicated Thread on Yao Ming's Rehabilitation (2008)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Feb 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

speedy recovery Yao, don't go the way of Sampson :(

2. liangqj

liangqj Member

pryuen, I am appreciate what you do.
    Come on. Our big Yao will be healed soon by the effective way.

3. rocketfan.china

Sorry to hear you lost your job :( Thanks for all news provided by you. I am going to Hong Kong for my master degree in August this year, I won't be far away from you at that time :D Good luck man! all the best to you!

4. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yao and Ye Li? :D

Pryuen, keep it up! We're with you!

5. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

keep my eyes on Yao
    Hope he comes back quickly

6. rocketsmetalspd

Thanks Pryuen for the information you provide and best of luck finding a new job.

7. stroker

stroker Member

pryuen,

Thanks so much for keeping us updated on what I hope will be a speedy recovery for our brother Yao. I hate to see all of his hard work and training not be rewarded with a shot at the title this year and I hate to see the gentle giant not be able to do what he truly loves.

After reading that Yao visits children in area hospitals that have cancer on his off day and seeing his contributions during all-star week end with the reconstruction of several damaged homes it only further increased my deep respect for such a kind and humble man with a heart of gold and a beautiful disposition. I have more respect for Yao than really, any pro athelete on the scene right now and I'll never give up rooting for him and wearing my red #11 Yao t-shirt with a tremendous amount of pride and admiration.

I'm depressed and very sickened about this and life is not always fair cause if it was, this would never happen to such a decent, self deprecating, and totally beautiful human being. Have a speedy recovery Yao. You're my hero :(

8. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

touching.

Let's wish the big guy the best.
    Go Rockets, let' win more games for our beloved friend while he is out.

9. jlwee

jlwee Member

How can one blame RA and Morey or even the rockets organization to overplay yao? Yao is paid more than 10 millions dollar to play 100games from October to June. This is his job!

The one to blame, to overwork yao is Chinese National Team. Yes, is yao obligation to play for his national team. But do you really need to play yao against Melbourne Tigers every summers? How many unneccessary exhibition games Yao need to play each summer? These games are all about making money than playing basketball. How many unrest summers yao has had? 6,7,8? After this coming Olympics, what do they have again? Qualification for Asian games, world championships,m asian championships and next olympics and on and on. Yao is basically wont rest for the next 4 summers!

So tell me again, who the hell over work Yao Ming?

10. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

This should be yaos uniform next year! but of course les will be too cheap to buy it cz it'll put us over the luxury tax :mad:

[​IMG]

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

Rockets don’t expect Yao to rest this summer

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports Feb 27, 1:39 am EST

Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey let out a long, exasperated sigh over the telephone Tuesday, as though to say: Are you kidding? Asking Yao Ming to ease back on his Chinese basketball commitments – never mind sit out the Beijing Olympics in August – is a request that’ll go unasked to his franchise star.

Yao’s body takes a terrible toll at 7-foot-6, something needs to change and still the Rockets are at the mercy of a Chinese basketball federation that never truly let the NBA have the most popular and beloved of its 1.3 billion people. He’s forever on loan, forever on the way to getting his career run into the ground.

“Asking him to not play for China is like, well, asking him not to play basketball,” Morey said. “We understood that when we drafted him and it’s still the case. We know that he belongs to the fans of the NBA and those of China. It isn’t a consideration to discourage him.”

Yao has gone down again. This time, it’s a stress fracture in his left foot. The threshold of chronic injury to his legs and feet creeps closer. There’s a disturbing, depressing pattern. He has broken his foot twice in the past two years. He’s broken a leg. He’s had an infected toe. Four surgeries in two years and the truth is increasingly inescapable: With the way he moves, with 7 feet, 6 inches of unprecedented polish and power, Yao has asked his lower body to support a style, a frame, that no basketball player his size has ever maintained.

What complicates everything is the demands, the pressure, the loyalty that Yao has to his national team. NBA commissioner David Stern had to undergo years of glacial negotiations to crack the Chinese market, to get Yao and Milwaukee’s Yi Jianlian into the league. Yao is such an earnest and loyal son, honorable and decent to the core.

“The national team is a part of who he is,” his old coach, Jeff Van Gundy, said.

Yao has trouble saying no to anyone, Van Gundy said – never mind the government that manipulated his development from birth to the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft. Van Gundy calls Yao the hardest-working and best teammate in the NBA. He loved coaching him, loves counting him as a friend. And truth be told, he’s desperately worried about Yao’s future.

As it turned out, Van Gundy walked into a Houston health club Tuesday afternoon and still hadn’t heard the news about Yao’s injury. He was on the telephone with a Miami radio station when someone finally informed him. Just then, guess who walked through the doors?

Yao.

Yao’s personal trainer, the Rockets former strength-and-conditioning coach, keeps his office in the site. So, Van Gundy and Yao talked for a half hour, and what Yao insisted in his news conference – that missing the Olympics would be “the biggest loss of my career until right now” – was repeated with emotion in private. Yao had to get back to represent China, he insisted to Van Gundy.

As Van Gundy said, “The Olympics means so much to him, but after that, he’s turning 28 and it doesn’t do anybody any good if his body is going to be chronically injured. Either he has to develop more of a ‘no’ personality – which isn’t his way – or someone around him needs to be the bad guy for him and say ‘No’ for him.”

It isn’t just the physical toll that the summers with Chinese basketball have taken, but the mental, too. For Yao, he never gets a break when he plays for his country in the summer. It isn’t the Chinese way to make allowances for Yao when he’s playing for the national team. They run long and relentless training camps and Yao sits out nothing. He would never be inclined to ask for a drill off – never mind a day – and they’d never be inclined to offer it.

The Rockets doctor insisted on Tuesday that Yao should be recovered for Beijing. Here’s the scariest question for Houston management: Will that even matter to the Chinese basketball federation? This isn’t just any Olympics for China, but its ultimate stage. Publicly, they insist that they can medal in these Games. That’s doubtful, but it will still be their best team ever. And do you think China would hesitate to play Yao at 70 percent, or 80, or anything below complete recovery?

Whatever the circumstances, Yao will play in Beijing and beyond. As always, the Rockets will have little to no say in it.

When reached Tuesday, a high-ranking international basketball official sounded unoptimistic about Yao’s chances of ever catching a break with the Chinese basketball federation.

“They will continue to pressure him,” the official said. “The one thing they do with all of their athletes is drive them into the ground with training. The strongest survive. If you don’t, they’ll find another to come and do it.

“I mean, they don’t do little things like block out good airline seats for them when they travel. They can all be in middle seats in coach for all they care, and that’s how Yao travels with them. Whatever happens with his injuries, they’re going to insist that he keeps playing for them.”

Morey, the Rockets GM, was respectful and realistic Tuesday. He knows the drill: Yao Ming is his franchise player, but he belongs to China. And always will. This was the deal when they drafted him and that’ll be the way it goes without negotiation.

That’s Yao Ming. That’s his identity, his life, his burden. Until he can no longer run on the floor, he’s China’s basketball star. For his own good, his own survival, this has to end with the Beijing Olympics. For once in his dutiful life, Yao Ming has to be the bad guy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...YF?slug=aw-yaochina022608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

12. Tuan

Tuan Member

Great photos! I am still deeply sadden though and even more so after seeing other teams winning. Get well big fella. :(

13. blazer

blazer Member

I like this article. Wojnarowski really cares about Yao...

14. MyEyesSee

MyEyesSee Member

15. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

This article makes people sick. It is more about politics than basketball.
    Yao's birth was manipulated? There are still morons who believe Yao was some product of genetic engineering. This is no respect to Yao. Yao has not been respected in NBA or the mainstream media. That's maybe one of the reasons why he wants to play his own national team.

Yao wants to play in Olympics. He wants to be the one who leads Chinese squad in the opening ceremony, as he did in 2004. If he doesn't want to play for CNT, this injury will be a good excuse. He will get old and more injury prone. Live with it and take a good care of him, or just trade him away. Stop b****ing about yao playing for his country.

It is smart to politicizing Yao's injury so that only the Chinese, the commy, the CNT will be the only scapegoat to blame. It is really smart.

16. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Wojnarowski cares about nothing about Yao. he hates commies. that's all his article is about.

17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Man I already miss the big fella! The picture of him shooting with his suit on is extra sad. :confused: Damn we were spoiled his first 3 seasons. He only missed two total games. I'd like to see numbers similar to '04/'05 season for next year: 18.3 PPG 8.4 RPG 2 BPG and 55% in only 30 minutes a game. Get well soon!

18. jlwee

jlwee Member

Dude do you have to be that political sensitive? The writer didnt write any thing politics, do you know how to read?

Yes, is yao dream to play in Beijing Olympics. No one doubt about it. Even CNT officials refuse to let him play he will still want to play, no doubt about itand no one wanna argue about it.

Question now is, what will happen after olympics? Will CNT still force Yao to take part in those qualifying matches for asian games, asian basketball championships and tons of commercial exhibition games? Can yao say no? Is Yao willing to sacrifice the clean and good guy image he builds for years to say no to be a bad guy for his own sake? Does CNT really need Yao and only Yao can have the CNT basketball team to be successful? How about giving young players chance to play in certain games? Do they look at long term goals or just their personal benefits short term?

19. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

Please get your fact straight. How many qualifying games have Yao played for CNT? He didn't play in 2002 Asian game. He basically took lat summer off. Does CNT force Yao to play? or Yao wants to play for CNT?
    You just assume he doesn't want to play for CNT, don't you?

Anybody who says Yao is a product of some genetics engineering is talking about politics, not basketball. It is really sick.

20. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

It is funny for you to say Yao should skip CNT games to let young CNT players develop for the future, the future. How about ROX skips Yao for a few games or even a few minutes to let some young Rox players develop for Rox future? Yao would have been still playing had that happened. It is so hypercritical.