1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DECISION] Living in Austin and working in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This really doesn't sound like something that would work for very long. I don't even have kids, and I can't imagine being away from my wife 5 days a week. I think it would be impossible to do for long and stay happy. I think if you're honest with yourself, you only have 2 choices:

1. Find a different job in Austin
    2. Move to Houston

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Ughhhh it's decision day and I still haven't made a final decision.

I'm going in to talk with my manager again this morning to see if I can get a feel for the opportunity fir extended employment after July because I really don't want to leave my family and go work in Houston every week.

If that doesn't work out I feel like I have to take the extra money and suffer short term to provide better long term.

It sucks but I think that's what has to happen.

One thing we are committed to is staying in Austin so either way I have to ramp up my job search here.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This might be a no-brainer, but what does your wife think about it? She's gonna be the one taking care of the monsters while you're away, and depending on her personality, some marriages can't last twice a day with no end in sight.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My guess is that what you may regret missing the most is watching your kids participate in activities such as youth sports and school events. You can see the family on weekends and meet up halfway a couple of nights a week for dinner and visits (e.g. shopping, movies), but if they have activities, you won't be able to watch or participate (coach, scout leader, etc).

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

good luck, vdp. i have no idea what i'd do. i'd be leaning towards houston, but i couldn't see being able to sustain that.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

one can never make enough money. your family is the most important thing. i understand your desire to live where you want to live, just find a way to make it happen. is there a way to reel in expenses and live more modestly until you get the secure austin-based job you seek? personally, i couldn't take such a commute.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions regarding this tough decision.

In the end I put the welfare of my kids before monetary and career advancement. I'll keep looking for that right job in Austin and be there for my kids everyday instead of just on the weekends.

Thanks again for your support clutchfans.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

good luck man!

Must have been tough to pass on the secure employment 6 months out, and insurance. Hoping it works out for the best. I think I would have done the same -- but I'm glad it wasn't me facing that decision ;).

Hug your kids extra strong tonight!

9. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I'm sorry I didn't get in on this sooner, but I believe you made the right decision. You only get so much time with your kids, and you need to do all you can to cherish what you do have. It sounds like you have everything you want in Austin except the great job (and maybe the Rockets). Good luck with your search, good things come to those who wait. After making this decision I believe you made everyone happy, not just yourself.

Pugs

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

You live in oasis? Either move your whole family, or pass up the job. I would not give up family time

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I think you made the right decision. Your kids are not going to miss that Nintendo 3DS you couldn't buy them. But they would have missed you being around.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I feel like a huge burden has been lifted and only time will tell but I feel like I made the right choice.

Clutch citizen-- I don't know where oasis is but i know i dont live there.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good luck in your job search man. Have you tried networking events? it takes time, but you can find some connections.