1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Debunking the "Yao is done" myth

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Nov 22, 2010.

1. sew

sew Member

We have him for one more year no matter what. What exactly is b****ing and whining going to achieve? Absolutely nothing.

If Yao is done, he's done, and we can deal with it at the end of the season... but right now we are stuck with him and no amount of crying is going to change that.

So stop ur b****ing and lets TRY to be optimistic.

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Trade him if it's possible to get high draft picks in return.

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Everybody is just upset because we have already lost 10 of the 32-37 games we thought we would lose this year.

I agree, we still have him and he will be back on the court soon. So will Brooks. At that time we can work out a rotation and run with it. People seem to quickly forget we have not had a chance to build chemistry or a steady rotation with the players we have since the season started. the team was built with certain players in mind and playing, so far those players have not been available to play very much. They only look at the record. We haven't had the easiest schedule either. We know it will take a lot of work, but I think once we get everybody back, we will see much better results.

4. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I blame the Chinese Geneticists. ;-)

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

This is all that needs to be read from the OP's post. The rest is overanalyzed, Yao-apologist doo-doo.

Yao is done and the Rockets would be wise to trade him or let him walk. Resigning him will be effectively handcuffing the team's chance at rebuilding for years to come.

6. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Come on now, can you really have confidence in anything that clown Clanton says?

7. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

First of all, I don't agree that Yao is completely washed up. But, this argumane is bankrupt. You cannot base his projected production on simple math by using his production over a few minutes It is like saying because someone runs a 400 meter dash in 45 seconds they can run a mile in 3 minutes! It doesn't add up. You have to take into account that Yao doesn't have the conditioning to put up consistent numbers over the course of 36 minutes. Also, he doesn't have the agility to stay out of foul trouble to stay on the court for 36 minutes. Hakeem could probably give us 10 and 5 TODAY in 12 minutes. That does. That doesn't mean he will put up 30 and 15 if we play him 36 minutes a night.

8. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Did people already forget when it was stated that Yao's surgery was a two year process to recover from? Or did people just forget that fact since its inconvenient?

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

not that yao will ever possess hakeem like prowess on the defensive end, the rockets sure as **** need his big @ss to guard that paint.

our defense has been the worst i've ever seen without having all 7'6" of him back there to at least take up space and guard the rim.

we look more like a GS/PHO type team. we can't stop anyone defensively. has anyone else noticed our players are pretty much smaller than everyone else? i hate that were so short except for yao.

i still have hope... but we need yao. bad. if we're going to have shot at anything this year. can he regrain form? god i hope so because this season is killing me!

10. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

What Yao needs to do the more....injured or not injured. Is be a leader. He fails on all levels in this area.

If you the so called best player (when on the court), the franchise, etc...he has to be vocal and stand up to coaches, players when he see's something isn't working.

Too bad he missed his chance at age 30 playing 24 minutes a game.

11. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I hate not having an edit button.

What I meant to say was.

Yao's one weakness has always been his leadership.

If you are labeled as the best player, the franchise, alpha dog, etc, he needs to develop a voice, speak up when required, challenge the coaches and players who aren't living up to expectations.

He can do this on or off the bench...

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

let me sum up.

yao's injury won't impact his offense and his defense. he is completely different from most athletes. his offense and his defense doesn't depend on his athletism. by the way, has he ever had athletism in his body? :grin: the reason he is in nba is due to his size and his soft hands. on defense end, his size helps him to detour alot shots. it's reason he is not great at rb or blocking shots. on offense, his shooting touch plus shooting over defenders help him to be a good offense player.

his only problem now is whether he can stay on the court or not.

it's right for ppl to say he is done due to injury. it is wrong to say his skills become worse due to his injury.

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

From the interviews we've seen of him, it's pretty obvious that Yao is very, very unhappy/mad with the way things are. You are never going to see Yao publicly call out any of the players or coach, because heck, you're never going to see a Chinese person do that and cause embarrassment in such a way. But I have no doubt that he has an interest in getting everyone on board.

14. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I can't believe I am arguing on the same side as a moron like Spiegel. But one-sided opinion like this practically forces me to do so.

I only have one more piece of advice for you. If you couldn't see Yao is not the same player as before and, in all likelihood, will never be again, you should see your eye doctor immediately. You don't walk, you run.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Gater, we had disagreements, but on old clutfans, no name calling,no pouting, just agree to disagree. DD and i disagreed ok alot of subjects, but in the end, we handled it like grown men. We both agreed about the greyhound theory and posters thought it was a joke. I made a thread yrs back about why you cant build around yao, but was called a hater. In regards to the shane trade, my biggest issue was they just didnt get enough for that pick and i was in the ronnie brewer camp anyway.

After the 1st Utah series lost, my distaste for the yao-mcgrady-battier core was super high. They were 1 or 2 moves away from being legit,but they kept adding guys like luther,chuck, and novak types. Well, its over now and they should realize it a reload with younger,quicker,multi-dimensional players. Yao can still play,but is he worth the way you have to contruct the team? I say no.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

That's no longer possible...the Rockets have held on too long in hopes of Yao returning to full health; it's too obvious he's damaged goods, no one would be stupid enough to give us anything of value in return for him.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem here is you're falling into the trap of always waiting for something (Wasn't there a play called "waiting for godot"?). Yao Ming isn't some random player on this team, he's being paid max money to be the centerpiece.

"Give him time!" or "Be patient"...it doesn't really apply when the dude is sucking in 30% of your capspace and will already be 31 years old next year. And even if he DOES come back at some point this season, what guarantee do you have he won't go down again at some point within the next 2 years and then file for retirement?

In a sense, Yao Ming's days as a franchise player is indeed done. If you're talking about retaining him in some sort of role player capacity then obviously 99% of fans here would probably agree with you.