1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Debbie Downer) How Much Do We Really Over-Rate the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Oct 6, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nope, other than last year only one year was the foot....during the 22 game winning streak.

Yeah, but that was because of the surgery to rebuild it, how has Big Z fared since his surgery? HMMMMMMMM???????????

DD

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If we're looking for Yao to be like Big Z...to be reduced to a permieter player as a center....then I'd like to post that picture of the cheerleader with the dinosaur head dunking the ball while flames shoot out of her ass right here.

But he didn't realy MISS those games...because that was just after the surgery. We can't count those 82 games missed, really. :grin:

3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Big Z was not reduced, that is his game always has been a midrange guy with low post mixed in.

The point is that he still had to RUN UP THE COURT to play, and he played 30mpg and averaged well over 75 games played a year.

Yao can do the same, it is the only legitimate data anyone can point to, dinosaurs or not.

Max, are you saying that Yao will break down again? Is that what you truly believe?

DD

#163 DaDakota, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    uh, what? According to your number: 30 + 5 + 82 = 117

5. MadMax

This team was constructed to be centered around Yao. You believe it was constructed to be centered around Brooks and Martin...and that is good enough.

I'm telling you I think this team has to have a fully healthy Yao back as his old self to be even in the discussion as a legit championship contender.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Can't speak for Max, but logically speaking if one were to look at the pattern of Yao's health over the past few years it is a decent assumption that he will break down sooner or later.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Not true, the only logic is that the NBA is a dangerous sport, and that players get injured.

The ONLY worry about Yao being injured is his foot.

If that goes again, then his career is over.....but if it doeesn't and the doctors seem to think he is healed than he has no more chance of injury than any other NBA player.

I do not think this team is built around Yao any longer, I think the team has moved on and is now looking for a way to emphasize his strengths without significantly weakening the strides made by the rest.

I agree about a healthy Yao as the only hope for a contender, but mostly because of his presence on defense....and not on offense.

DD

8. MadMax

this. absolutely. i think it's a far safer assumption that he will break down than that he won't. he's playing at an incredible height and weight on a foot held together by pins. he's missed a colossal amount of time over the last 5 seasons. if the majority of his career is an indicator...he will be injured. he's missed significant time more seasons than not over the last 5 years. again..that's not opinion.

9. MadMax

Not true...again...look at average career of men who played at that kind of size. Their careers are far shorter.

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I think there is a good chance Yao returns to his pre-injury form at some point this season. There is also a very good chance he gets hurt again. I mean if Yao isn't considered injury prone, then who is?

What I am scared the most of is that he will be fairly healthy this year playing limited minutes, get resigned to another huge contract and then get hurt again :(

But even a completely recovered to pre-injury level Yao who is limited to 24 minutes a game doesn't make us favorites to win a title without another trade in my opinion.

11. MadMax

if they commit to a long-term deal to this man...with this injury history..they're morons, unless it is STEEPLY discounted.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    You honestly believe that Yao doesn't have a predisposition to getting injured? The man is a walking accident waiting to happen. At his height and weight he simply cannot handle the strain of an NBA season anymore. I would love to be proven wrong, but the last few seasons have confirmed this thought...

13. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I am also a die hard rockets fan...and I totally agree with you.... if Yao doesnt show us any promise this year I say we cut out ties and move in a new direction....package whoever we need to package to get a new superstar to build around.... Teams who win multiple championships are built around stars

14. J-Man

J-Man Member

Confuscius say: " BELIEVE AND YOU SHALL ACHIEVE!" :grin:

15. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I can't believe after one preseason game you are already counting us out. I hate to sound rude but your fanhood is really in question after posting that.

16. RocketMania1991

Question my fanhood?

Since when Is being a realist turning on your team.....?

Sorry If the truth hurts.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

What truth? Or are you refering to your opinion?

DD

18. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

The Rockets would not be legitimate title contenders even if Yao were completely healthy. To win NBA titles you need to have great players. The Rockets don't have one. The Rockets have a bunch of very good players, but none can be considered great, and I don't care how you slice it, that isn't good enough to win it all.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You know what, lots of titles are won with players that were not considered GREAT until they won the title.

Looking back is easy......

The Rockets have several candidates for potential greatness.

Aaron Brooks
    Kevin Martin
    Chase Budinger

Just to name a few.

DD

20. MadMax

name those players.

the story of the NBA since i was old enough to remember has been about great players finally overcoming enough to win their rings.

did anyone think duncan wans't great before he won rings?

did anyone thing MJ wasn't great?

or Shaq?

or ___________?

all of those players were MVP caliber players...first and second team all NBA even before they won rings.

exception: Pistons. that's it.