1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Death at a funeral-Black version

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

I saw the trailer for the new Chris Rock movie and it's basically a remake of the English movie Death at a funeral that came out a few years ago.
    It doesn't look Turrible but at the same time I can't believe someone would remake a movie that just came out literally three years ago. I can understand adapting a TV show and making it "Americanized" but a recent movie??
    I was wondering what y'all think of it and if any others have seen the Brit version.

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Were you outraged at The Departed also? I enjoyed The Departed and will hopefully enjoy this movie also even if I've seen the originals.

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Member

Part of what made the original work so well was the classic British humor. Hilarious movie.

No idea how the remake will work but doesn't look promising from the trailer. It is also kind of amusing to see Peter Dinklage playing the same part in both movies.

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Fever Pitch.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Member

It is a little more unusual to see a remake of a recent movie that was already in English and has a few American characters/actors.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Well, the The Office was a pretty fresh copy too (don't know why the OP would make a distinction between TV series and movies)....... Just saying it's not unusual. Besides, the overall concept is still a good one, but British humor is culturally different from US humor so it's not unlikely to see a remake, especially if the targeted audience never saw the originals.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The white version?

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Member

Apparently Death at a Funeral is more of a shot by shot remake using nearly the same script. There really isn't that much about it to be translated but there is some solid talent involved in the US version so who knows, it might work.

The Office was a bit different since the American version didn't really start to click until it had grown away from trying to replicate what worked in the original (season 1).

9. percicles

percicles Member

Niel Labute did this. He brought such classics as In The Company of Men, Your Friends and Neighbors and Nurse Betty.

10. Blake

Blake Member

No idea if this will be funny or not, but the Brit version is freaking hilarious. Makes me laugh out loud every time that I see it

11. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Us Indians got to it first....we won't be beat when it comes to copyin film concepts!

In 2009, a Bollywood remake of the film, entitled "Daddy Cool", was released starring Sunil Shetty, Aashish Chaudhary and Rajpal Yadav.

[​IMG]