1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dear Santa, what I want for this team is...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 28, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have a team that is close to competing for a championship, just needs a few lucky breaks healthwise, but we are not favorites to win it all, just to be one of the teams to compete for it, when healthy.

So, of course it got me to thinking, what could make this next season even better. And of course it hit me....better players.

;)

So, with that in mind here would be my perfect offseason upgrades.

1. Trade Rafer and Bjax to the Clippers for Corey Maggette.

2. Trade Battier and Luther and or Francis to the Raptors for Calderon.

3. Split the MLE between Boki and Gerald Green.

4. Resign Carl Landry to the LLE or part of the MLE, maybe use the LLE on Green?

Then you have a team to be favorites to win it all.

PG - Calderon/Brooks/Francis or Head
    SG - Maggette/Green
    SF - Tmac/Boki/Novak
    PF - Scola/Landry/Harris/Hayes
    C - Yao/Deke/Draft pick?

Now that team would be one that would be favorites to win it.

Yes it would be a little weaker on defense but SOOOO much stronger on offense.

What would your wish to Santa be?

DD

PS. I subscribe to the Defense is overated, and offense is underated theory of basketball.

#1 DaDakota, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

We wouldn't just lose defense by trading Battier, we'd lose tons of intangibles that have led to teamwork, hustle and consistency, which led to the streak. He's turned into the quarterback of the team.

... but I do understand the desire to get Calderon, and we'd have to give something to get something. Battier's value has never been higher.

Do you really think that LAC would trade Maggette for expirings?

I doubt Boki will want to come back after we gave up on him. He seems pretty happy about staying in NJ. Have you heard of him being interested, or the Rockets interested in him?

3. DaDakota

Honestly Sherlock, I don't know, but I doubt Donald Sterling will let him walk for nothing if he can help it, and they need a PG badly because Livingston is still an unknown.

So, Rafer having 2 years left is a decent option for them....toss in Bjax's expiring and you have a significant contract amount for a sign and trade.

DD

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

That would be great. I also think our biggest need is offense.

I belive there is a chance of singing Maggette who could be a great 3rd option. But do you really think Raptors will trade Calderon? I hope so but it is not likely.

Anyway, we again gotta make some big changes and than we need to stay healthly.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

your plan which has no chance of happening entails heavy rotation minutes to Gerald Green (out of the NBA) and Aaron Brooks (unproven to say the least) as well as Tracy McGrady's replacements for the 20 games or so he is injured being two lead-footed one-dimensional shooters neither of whom can really play SF in the National Basketball Association. This is all provided - of course - that the rockets end up getting Maggette for a straight salary dump and Calderon for a lot less than what he is probably valued at by the Raptors.

Otherwise it's a good plan.

6. DaDakota

Thanks sunshine....

DD

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

As much as I love Battier for his intelligence and team spirit, this "glue" is keeping us stuck in first round exit mode.

8. DaDakota

I love him on defense but on offense, he just stands in the corner, I would prefer a more versatile option at that spot.....someone who can move or take it to the rack.

Tmac at the SF and Magette at the SG, with Boki coming in to back whichever one sits, looks pretty nice to me.

Green and Harris might steal some minutes, but the main 8 man rotation would be:

Calderon
    Tmac
    Magette
    Scola
    Yao
    Brooks
    Boki
    Landry

With possible situational minutes based upon matchups and injuries going to:

Novak
    Harris
    Hayes
    Deke
    Green

DD

9. poprocks

poprocks Member

Calderon is untouchable for the Raptors. Zero chance they let him go. Magette we can get but cost too much.

10. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

While I'd love to have Calderon (but not at the cost of Battier) and Maggette here, I don't understand everyone's obsession here with Gerald Green nor do I understand your desire to get Boki. Boki is a decent player, but he's nothing special - he certainly wouldn't be one of my primary targets during the off-season.

Gerald Green sat at the end of the bench of a lottery team, we cut him and took Mike Harris (which I think was a great move) who played in China over him. I understand that he has athletic ability - but to put a lottery team's bench warmer into the rotation of the Rockets is just ridiculous. I'm not opposed to taking a better look at him...maybe signing him, and giving him limited minutes - but this isn't a rookie, he's just a bust thus far.

Moreover, with the chemistry of this team, I'd be cautious about blowing it all up like you're suggesting. Personally, I think if you add a healthy Yao to the team and you already have a championship contender (sure I'd like help at the point - but I wouldn't blow up the team to do it).

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Sticky. Summertime Random Trade Thread.

Christmas. On 12/25. Not on 5/28.

Pipe Dream. #1, #2

LMAO. #3

12. DaDakota

Sunshine number 2...welcome.

Christmas is coming, got to prepare early.

;)

DD

13. DaDakota

Green as a cheap signing that might pay off, nothing more. Boki is a proven NBA player who adds athleticism, shooting and finishing ability to the PF/SF position.

He also fits in perfectly with Adelman's motion type of offense.

And, if you look, I like him as a bench player, not as a starter.

DD

#13 DaDakota, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  14. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Thats's 17 players.

15. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

My bad :) Math doesn't quite suite me.

16. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

i counted 17 times, and i still stop at 15.... Did you count head and SF3 as 2 players and draft picks as another 2 players?

17. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Dear Santa, what I want for this team is... A HEALTHY SEASON!! I figure with the scrubs (cheap vets) we surrounded Tracy and Yao with 04-05 season they did pretty good. Now we have legit power forwards, a legit lockdown defender, and all decent and tradable contracts we should be able to make a run at least to the WCF if not the finals. All we need is a third scorer probably Maggette or some other proven scorer and were set.

18. poprocks

poprocks Member

hmm think again

"If you look at the roster right now, we have to find somebody — one or two people — that can play behind Tracy and Shane (Battier) and with some size," coach Rick Adelman said. "That's really what we need, because we were really pretty undersized after those two guys."

General manager Daryl Morey said the Rockets need to improve their "ability to attack the basket. I think we have a shortage of that skill on the roster. It's not as acute as when Yao is on the team because we have a guy to go to."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5762965.html

19. poprocks

poprocks Member

AK47 anyone? What's his contract situation?

20. DaDakota

Pop,

But adding Magette, Boki and Calderon is adding 3 players that attack the basket.

DD