1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dear Clutchfans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I have been a long-time lurker, probably since 2006 when Houston bundled out against the Jazz. I'm only 19 so don't get upset. Living in Australia there is nigh on no coverage of the NBA outside of the odd Lakers v Clippers or Miami vs Lakers, well you get the picture.

I was there watching Boozer destroy Yao. I was there watching Tmac ball his eyes out at having 'failed' again. I was there when watching Landry stuff Deron with half a tooth. I was there as Yao gave flashes of the All-World center we thought he could be, before another navicular fracture. I was there as Lowry, Dragic, Scola, Battier poured the heart into this team, only to fade at the most crucial moments. All of this sitting in front of a crappy stream from firstrowsports. I did my diligence as well. Rewatched Olajuwon in his prime, thought about what Sampson could've been, then wondered why the hell Olajuwon was playing for the Raptors. Figured out how to spell Tomjanovich. When so many of my friends support the typical superteams, a comment I'd receive alot is "who the F**k do Houston even have?". I'd typically tell them how Dragic was padding all star numbers, how Chuck Hayes defies all logic as a 6ft5 cinderblock.

The reason I joined Clutchfans recently was to feel part of the Houston Rockets community. I had nothing to connect with. But slowly, i can't help but shake my head at the knee-jerk, vindictive, and downright short-sighted 'commentary' that seems all too common here. I'm 100% sure we were a made 3 away from everyone proclaiming Linsanity 2.0. Why can't people be happy we pushed Miami all the way? Why can't we be pleased Parsons is a stud? Asik is rebounding Robot? Why the hell was everyone in the gamethread suicidal we lost to a fantastic Memphis side? Lin actually knows how do defend and run a team (sidenote: don't think they're using him right, Lin no spotup shooter, Sampson). We are all too quick to throw everyone under the bus, demand a Martin/Scola for Dwight trade and shake our head at Morey. The whole team is new, Harden came in only a few weeks ago, give them some time, have some patience.

inb4 stfurookie

15 people like this.
  2. kinein

kinein Member

[​IMG]

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Delete post

4. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

:):):):):):):):)

5. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]

6. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

7. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

8. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Goodjob took.

9. wil55n

wil55n Member

I agree 100%. Unfortunately my join date renders this post and every other post I make useless to most in this forum.

I've started to stay away from these forums and just enjoy the game with a few friends. It's honestly a lot more enjoyable that way, but it would be even more fantastic to have an intelligent conversation with like minded fans around the world, I am just starting to lose hope that this is the place to do that.

10. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

Yeah.. I used to live in Australia a long time ago... basketball was almost non-existent.. though they did have a decent national league... NBA coverage was minimal, but that was when I first got to know Lakers and Celtics, with Kareem, Magic, Bird, McHale..

MAybe it is still the same after 25 years.. I feel for you dude.. Thankfully nowadays we got the net with forums and download sites... hopefully you will still enjoy NBA..

You are quite right in you observations there.. though the bipolarity shown lately need not be taken too seriously... So far, the matches have been quite enjoyable....

11. samylee1978

samylee1978 Member

I dont like lin but he is a 100 times better than douglas and plays good defense

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

13. harrypotter

harrypotter Member

i approve the post.

14. mirus

mirus Member

I live in a similar timezone,and watching crappy streams too(except for those televised games) or rewatch replays for years.I understand what you feel.You are going to miss more games when you are working full time one day.

You are a very good fan who does your diligence by watching games that are before your time.

Knee jerkings are part of sports.I don't like it either,but I come to accept it.I developed a habit of picking up only good posters' posts and ignoring those who don't. I've my dissatisfaction but watching this team hustles against others - there's a sense of pride.The rockets is not my home team,but i start to really support these guys

.Else you could stay away from these comments,and just read post game reports,blogs,that'll do.Previously I'm very happy(except for some coaching decisions on this game) but after reading all the posts did ruin my mood a bit.

As long as you are doing what you love keep it up.

15. kinein

kinein Member

Use the ignore function - liberally.

16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Clutchfans did have its better (and maybe worse) days.

This year has been especially bad starting right from the off-season when Morey was attacked for not getting an all-star player on draft day, not being able to trade for Dwight/Bynum (or trying to trade for Dwight), and not being able to move up the draft.

Then it was paying too much for one or all of Lin, Asik and Harden, or trading away our future draft pick(s) and Lamb. Or even Kevin Martin, a guy many thought Morey should just trade for a 2nd round pick last year.

Then it was on Lin from the pre-season, McFail from the first loss, not playing rookies even though we are basically playing a team of 23yr olds that also need time (and also effectively rookies Greg Smith and Marcus Morris).

Rookies need time on court to get better, neglecting Morris came in after a disappointing rookie season of not playing and got better (and attitude).

Then it was Morris is a joke, Delfino can't do jack other than, well, jack up 3s. Then it was Parsons - sophomore slump or regressed (or not very good to begin with). 2Pat is the worst starting PF in the league. 2Pat - if you shoot another freakin three, I'll &*^*&*. Same with Morris. You look like a deer in headlights. And don't shoot that corner three.

Toney Douglas and Lin bashing were the constants in the first 7 games. Interspersed were Asik's stone hands and how the team's a joke trying to feed Asik in the post.

Then came Harden. Hero ball + iso. That contract must've got into him. $80M man for this crap (actually paid $5m this year). Must've invested too wisely into strip clubs.

Sampson is also a fail coach after two games. Integrity problems plus can't coach late in game.

Lin - man I wish we had Lowry (forgot he was essentially what got us Harden), or Dragic (guy who dumped Rockets for a team that traded him AND a 1st round pick for Aaron Brooks). Look at their stats. Air-balled a 3 - worst player in history, the guy's a joke. Forgetting it is just one possession, and a miss is a miss, or Harden's 4 iso plays that was futile, or Lin's charge taken, defense and assist to Parsons in the 4th quarter.

But when I look at what's actually happened since the end of last season, Morey got us a top 3 SG in Harden, probably top 5 defensive center in Asik, and an above average starting PG (if used properly) all three at or below what other teams would be willing to pay for them if they were free agents. It was Orlando that turned down Morey's offer to take something worse, not Morey's fault. And a bunch of rookies with upside.

So far this season, we're 3-4, but were in every game until the last minute. Pretty good for a bunch for 23 yr olds (yes, Asik's 26 and Lin's 24, I know) with a limited track record of playing let along starting. We're 1-1 against teams on the playoff bubble (lost to Portland, beat Atlanta), and 2-0 against a bottom 5 team. We're 0-3 against teams that could contend for home court advantage in the playoffs in Denver and Memphis, and of course Miami,which would've been a tremendous win if not for phantom calls on a Bosh dunk and LBJ shot.

And doing this with effectively no training camp for our top player, and our #2 used wrongly and coming back from surgery, and our #3 still getting accustomed to not only getting minutes, but also getting to touch the ball other than on a rebound.

We are exactly where we should be at. Perhaps even better.

Reading clutchfans you'd think the Rockets are 1-6, Morey is Michael Jordan or Isaiah Thomas (the GM, not the player), Les Alexander is a cheap-skate like Jerry Reinsdorf, the players we just traded for or signed are Trevor Ariza, Emeka Okafor, and Eric always-injured-Gordon. And our starting PG is actually Toney Douglas, and our back-up PG is also Toney Douglas.

Welcome to Clutchfans 2012-13. And ... wait for it ... all the negativity is actually due to the influx of LOF, not the people who post it. LOF bring out the worst in all of us. In fact, if not for LOF, Romney would be the president, LBJ would be starting SF for the Rockets, and Santa Claus would actually exist.

#16 mike_lu, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    6 people like this.
  17. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Wow, so many 12ers.

But dude, I love how you play the Australian card like it matters. This forums overun.

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Exactly these kind of posts. 12er means what? Apr2009 means what? You're better?

Here's the quality and insightful posts you've made, just as a reminder to you and everybody.

- He choked, and he deserved it!
    - Was Sylvias mother shocked seeing Sylvia leave the kitchen?
    - pointless thread is pointless?
    - @Chris_Broussard Sauces: My sauces tell me Clutchfans can't count to 15.
    @Chris_Broussard Lebraahn...
    - Either Jake Gyllenhaal or Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain.. Lolz..
    - NO can't trade him if they match the offer sheet. Goodbye Gordon.
    - You don't get it. Morey doesn't want to pay Greg Smith when the time comes. Greg Smith is Morey's secret weapon, Greg Smith will be Omer Asik in 2014.

You and your ~20 posts on Clutchfans in 2012, diehard Rockets fan.

2 people like this.
  19. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

yeah.. love you too dude.. gotta start at some time.. as if you own the forum.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I liked everything except for the part about Parsons being a stud. Yes there are some rotton eggs in this forum, and it certainly seems more devicive then I can remember, but folks like aelliot, Carl Herrera, Bima, Juan Valdez, old Man Rocket, and of course, Clutch, make it worth it. I agree there's no need for snobbery based on what year you joined, but a lot of the crappy posts and lack of respect seem to come from newbies. My advice is to take the good with the bad and don't get caught up with posters who have unintelligent takes and get off spewing hate. But that's not to say you should bad-mouth people for their legit criticism of players or the organization. Glad you're a BBSer Panda!