1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Jordan anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scolalist, Apr 8, 2011.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-You watch your mouth bub. If Chuck ran for major in this town he would win.

Seriously though, I believe the smart thing to do would be to somehow trade Jordan Hill for a second round pick or do something to make room on the roster to keep Chuck as a reserve. I think people forget how quickly the team started to drop off when Chuck went down with an injury.

Jordan had a full training camp and season to improve and from everything we saw, he actually got worse with extended playing time. I think its time to give up on the Jordan Hill project to make room for Chuck and whatever draft picks they get and give more time and dedication to Thabeet. Now is Hasheem's chance to disprove his critics. They are not locked in past this season, so its now or never for him to prove himself.

-The Knicks front office talking about signing D'Andre to a large contract this offseason might have more to do with getting CP3 or Dwight Howard then it will actually D'Andre. See they know in order to get the deal done they will need

A. Assets to match Salaries in a trade
    B. Young talent to send back in a trade

The Knicks have neither now, but if they sign Jordan to even a sizeable contract they have both a young asset to send in a trade, and can make the trade easier to match salary wise. If they strike out of CP3 and/or Dwight, then they still have a young athletic center to match with Amare & Melo.

The Knicks know they will be way over the cap if they take on the salaries of CP3 or Dwight, but if that is the plan then it really doesn't matter unless they strike out on both superstars.

2. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Not sure if this was mentioned, but Rockets should go after Kaman, Haywood, or whatever center on the team that drafts Kanter ie. Dalembert, McGee/Blatch.

Morey won't overpay for DA Jordan, so those players are the next best things. I don't think we have anyone the Wizards would want for McGee or Blatch, but all the other players are all possible.

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

DA is not worth 10 mil a year. 5-8 maybe. He is tall and athletic but doesn't produce on a consistent basis. He will give you one good game out of every 8 games (20 and 10). The rest of them he is just average. Gets some blocks when not in foul trouble, but I can't see Morey offering too much for him.

We can get a young foreign C in the draft at a better value with more upside.

4. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

So if we somehow replace a guy like DeAndre Jordan into the starting lineup over Hayes, the Rockets will magically turn into a contender?

A lot of people don't get the point. Hayes is undersized but he can guard almost any big man in the league. One of the best post defenders in the league and probably one of the best passing big man. I don't know why people blame Hayes for the Rockets failure to not be a contender or playoff team.

You can put Hayes into a contender like the Heat and I bet you he'll be their starter and will be a big part of them winning a championship. Its not because Hayes is undersize that Houston isn't a playoff contender. Its just the Rockets don't have any star power. Everyone always saying we need a big man to get us over the top. But getting a decent big can come later. We need a star player first so this team will know what direction to take.

People can complain all day about Hayes being undersized causing Houston to be a mediocre team. But I bet you Hayes will outplay any center the Rockets bring to the team. An athletic big man wont take this team over the hump. A star player will. Thats why I think getting a star player is much more important than getting a big man.

1 person likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Big men do more than just defend 1-on-1, they're also supposed to block shots, rebound the ball and most of all lock down the paint. Hayes is only an average rebounder, and his paint defense and shot-blocking are non-existent. Ideally you'd want hayes to play the pf role and lock star pfs like kg down, but on our team he has to play center which makes the paint wideopen for everyone.

"star power" is so overrated, how many star powered teams did the Mavericks beat on the way to the title?

6. slionheart

slionheart Member

I like Jordan, but does anyone think its possible to pick up Javale McGee if we were to take on Rashard Lewis's contract in some sort of trade? If they pick up Kanter they will have like 3 centers, so would they be willing to let go of Mcgee?

7. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I don't know, but it does sound interesting.

8. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

9. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

If I understood correctly, Kyle Lowry went on a boat party with some of his close NBA friends including Randy Foye, Deandre Jordan, and some other players.

Maybe Lowry did some recruiting ;)

10. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Meant to mention that this was very recent. Friday I think.

11. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Star power is overrated? The Mavs at least had 1 superstar to win the title. Without their superstar, the Mavs wouldnt make it past the first round. Other than the 04 Pistons, every single team that won a championship the past 2 decades all have star power. The Rockets will never go anywhere without a star. Having a big man is great but that will not make this team any better. So if the Rockets want any tiny chance to winning it all, they know by having a star would help.

BTW, Chuck Hayes don't protect the rim and block shots BUT he has his own way of protecting the paint by drawing charges and he's great at that. Sure Hayes doesn't block many shots but he draw more charges per game than the top shot blockers in the league blocking shots per game. Like I said, drawing charges doesn't come up in stat sheets or highlight reels so people tend to overlook them. But its just as effective if not sometimes better.

12. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Marc Gasol maybe?

13. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Lets pick up Foye too and have a Minnesota reunion party for McHale.

14. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

We can't afford DeAndre Jordan... he'll end up raking in 10-12 mil/year when it's all said and done.

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Man, landing DeAndre Jordan would really be a big piece to land in our rebuilding process. The guy has the talent to anchor a championship defense similar to Tyson Chandler. And with Dwight Howard being available next off-season, it might opt the Clippers to not match the contract offer on Jordan this off-season.

16. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

DeAndre is very Athletic, a very good shot blocker, and can rebound/get easy putbacks. His weaknesses: awful free throw shooter, very limited offensively, not the best work ethic.

I think a starting role in his hometown would really motivate him and put him in a solid situation. I would have him for around 10 million a year, he would be the best fallback option we can have if (when*) Yao doesn't workout since Mutumbo. We don't need a center putting up 20 a game, we need someone to protect the rim.

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'd rather get DCousins.

18. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I'd rather get D.Howard

19. rockets06

rockets06 Member

I want Marc Gasol!!

20. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Doesn't Deandre live in Houston anyways??? Just saying... I would love to have Deandre