1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Jordan anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scolalist, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

And the Jordan watch begins.... :)

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....xercise-options-on-gordon-griffin-faroq-aminu

In a series of moves that should surprise exactly nobody, the Los Angeles Clippers extended a qualifying offer to center DeAndre Jordan, making him a restricted free agent, and exercised their team options on Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe, and Al-Farouq Aminu. All four players were drafted by the Clippers, and the latter three are still on their rookie deals, making picking up their options a no-brainer. (The Griffin option was perhaps the easiest decision any team will have to make this off-season.)

The only intrigue comes from the Jordan offer, but it’s minor. The Clippers still have Chris Kaman under contract, but all signs point to the Clippers wanting to keep the ultra-athletic but still offensively raw Jordan and make him their center of the future — it would be very surprising if the Clippers did not match any offer Jordan will receive in free agency.

2. Raven

Raven Member

I'd like to see the Rockets try anyway, but it's going to take a Huge contract to get it done.

3. DiamondDobb

DiamondDobb Member

I don't think we need him. He's good, but he's not good enough to justify a huge contract and that's probably what we'd have to offer to get him. If we're spending big money we should get worth.

4. AFS

AFS Member

I wouldn't mind the Rockets just making a large offer and forcing Clippers to overpay. It's always fun to stick it to Donald Sterling

5. Raven

Raven Member

This kid could give you 10/10/2, and that puts him in the 10+ per territory, probably higher.

6. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

Bismack Byombo.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thabeet = Jordan. What does that say? :grin:

8. cuddie

cuddie Member

Rashard Lewis v2.0.

Less talented, but someone who wanted to play for Houston that we passed on in the draft for garbage players and who will eventually be overpaid.

9. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

DA is another Jordan hill, full of potential, would probably never pan out, we don't have a Jason Kidd to throw lob passes to DA which Tyson chandler has in Dallas, so even for a full MLE, i wouldn't want DA to join the rockets.

10. delishman

delishman Member

I've been tweeting him Houston propaganda. So far no response..

Eventually they all break. Carmelo took months.

11. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I like how a "front office" guy said the Knicks are the team that can bid him up. Yes, the salary capped Knicks will bid him up, lol.

Anyway, a backup C isn't worth 10 mil. Remember when people thought that Gortat was overpaid lol?

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We need a rim protector that has some athletic (rebounding/shot blocking) ability. This allows us to play close at the 3pt line and force them to shoot over a 7 footer.

However, DeAndre Jordan is only worth $6mln a year at most. However, I would give up on Chuck and Yao to get him... Yao is done and we need to move on... Chuck is fodder to

13. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Pincus: Clippers Intend to Keep DeAndre

By: Eric Pincus Last Updated: 6/15/11

On Tuesday, the Los Angeles Clippers officially gave DeAndre Jordan his qualifying offer. By doing so, Jordan becomes a restricted free agent in July.

What that means in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (that has yet to be written) is unclear but under current rules, LA will have the right to match any offer that Jordan might receive this offseason.

DeAndre made major strides this past season, especially defensively, when he filled in major minutes as starter with Chris Kaman out with an ankle injury.

Because Jordan was a second-round pick, the qualifying offer is just over $1 million.

As such, Jordan's cap number is low until he signs a contract.

Even if the Clippers and Jordan come to terms early, DJ might need to wait until LA uses their cap space to add talent before signing the deal in order to help maximize the flexibility and cap space.

Ultimately the Clippers intend to match any reasonable offer.

The question will be suitors and dollars. The new CBA may actually work to limit the competition for Jordan.

How many teams will have significant spending power and how many will choose to use that to chase a restricted free agent like DeAndre?

Suffice it to say, the team is confident enough in Jordan staying that they're willing to shop Kaman in trade.

The team still values Chris but as rehashed last week (Pincus: Multiple Rumors Out of LA), he may be the key to landing an impact small forward.

The team also picked up the team options on Blake Griffin, Al-Farouq Aminu and Eric Bledsoe.

Griffin will be under contract for the next two seasons. He would become a restricted free agent in the summer of 2013 unless he signs an extension before then.

Obviously Blake is the team's highest priority. The Clippers expect to have a playoff team built around Griffin when it comes time to give Blake a contract extension.

Aminu and Bledsoe are scheduled to be restricted free agents in the summer of 2014, although the Clippers have team options on both before the 2013/14 season as well.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=20132#ixzz1PN9ME3JU

14. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

If I'm the Rockets, I'd try hard after DeAndre.

15. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think the Clippers will match a 10+ per year offer. Now, I'm not convinced he's worth that, but shot blocking bigs (with upside) don't come cheap.

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but if Deandre wanted to come here, couldn't the Rockets wait til the final seconds before the CBA expires on the 30th and have him sign the offer sheet? That way he is signed to an offer before the CBA expires, and the Clippers can't match it.

Is there a way to do that, or can the Clippers match at any time, regardless of the CBA status?

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

No team will be able to sign Jordan to an offer sheet before a new CBA agreement.

The Clippers will be able to match any offer.

18. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

he has no upside

19. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I'd be cool with the Rockets offering 10+ and seeing of the Clips match.

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

"he has no upside"

Dude is 22 years old, 7 feet tall, 265 pounds, freak athlete, scored 21 points against Boston on 9 of 10 shooting, had 20 rebounds against Denver, and was number 8 in the league in blocked shots last year.

Yeah. He has no upside. He's Thabeet all over again...