1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Jordan anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scolalist, Apr 8, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Git'r done :p

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, I'm interested but probably not for the 9-11 mil price tag.

1 person likes this.
  2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Offer him a front loaded deal, say $7.354 mill first year, then $3 million per year for 4 years after that, ~$20 million over 5 years, then get the Clips to S&T him to us for Battier's TPE. I'd do something like that. We could also trade them Hill and Chase for Gomes to save them a little money as an enticement to the the S&T.

But the whole question is...what will the Clips offer him to stay and what will other teams offer him to leave?

I agree, no way you pay this cat $10 mill per. $4-$5 million per is enough and then it is a gamble that may be worth taking.

1 person likes this.
  3. blackistan

blackistan Member

Ill take a long athletic big man

4. Moahst

Moahst Member

You guys realize that, aside from dunking, DeAndre Jordan has less offensive skill around the rim than Jarred Jeffries?

5. OpportunityCost

If Scola can get $47mil for 5 years. I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

It would be nice to get Jordan, but I think the Clips will keep Jordan. The Clips should try to get Iggy for Kaman and a pick. (Clippers are my second fav team)

7. delishman

delishman Member

DeAndre would be great to add to this team.

For 10 mil?! Yeah Right. MLE money is far closer to the price range.

If someone offers him that much he should take it.

8. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

S&T scola plus our lower draft picks and C-Bud for him?

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do, because Scola is far, FAR more valueable than Deandre Jordan.

I think Jopat nailed it.

10. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

He can finish thats it, horrible free throw shooter. We can wait to find someone better.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I know you guys think Morey can find the second coming of dream under a rock, but we have to get a shot blocker, period.

Jordan is 6th in the league in blocks per minute, and averages 10 reb per 36. His adjusted plus minus was actually in the positive territory on a bad team.

10 million is a little steep, but when you look across the league all great shot blockers who can rebound get paid big bucks, even with zero offensive ability

Avergage salary for top shot blockers who have hit free agency
    Duncan 19 Million
    Howard 17 Million
    Bynum 15 Million
    Jefferson 14 Million
    Chandler 13 Million
    Okafor 13 Million
    Bogut 12 Million
    Dalembert 12 Million
    Camby 9 Million
    Haywood 9 Million
    Perkins 8 Million
    Pryzbilla 7 Million
    Gortat 7 Million
    Milicic 5 Million

Darko doesn't do anything else well except block shots, and he basically got the full MLE. If you can block shots and rebound well, which Jordan can, you make bank, even if you are an offensive zero, it's the cost of doing business. If you look at the top 4 teams in each conference,other than the heat, they have a least one, often 2 great shot blockers. the bulls have 3.

10-11 million is a bit much, but i have trouble believing sterlings cheap ass will match 7-8 million a year for him.

Chuck Hayes would make a lot better PF, where his shot blocking inabilty doesn't show as much. Trade Scola or PPat.

1 person likes this.
  12. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Exactly. jordan is a gamble satright up. And just because he maybe in demand should not warrant us bidding the highest to win over competing shoppers.

We dont need a shot blocker as so. We need someone who chanllenges lay ups, dunks, jump shots near the rim, all of which forces them to missed shots. This - making them miss shots is more important than blocking shots in my books. This is what guys like Perkins, Bynum and Chandler do. They dont get a lot of blocks but they make guys miss their shots and force them to settle for shots further away from the rim.

This is what Gasol does as well. Gasol's defense is huge factor in making up for Zach randolphs lack of any defense. Jordan and McGee get a few swats and boards which is good but they dont really have any further impact on defense.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He is not worth that much. Teams dont need him that bad. Yes he has potential and he could get better. He could also end up the next Kelvin Cato. 10 million is too high. We can find another center elsewhere or go with Chuck until we trade or draft one. If Perkins is worth 8 million? Then he certainly is not worth more than Perkins. He is worth around 7 million at best 8 million himself like Perkins.

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Al Jefferson and Brook Lopez average more blocks then Dalembert. Does that mean they impact on defense more that Dalembert.

Its not about just blocking shots. Shot blocking is just one part of an overall bigger picture in the concept of defense.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'd say 7-8 million is enough.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is exactly Morey's flaw IMO. His strategy doesn't fully take into account the market value of a player.

Seaclubber1016 NAILED IT with the list of shot-blocking C's.

People who average 7-7-2 and are around 7 feet tall are paid lots of money because they are rare. To add to that, he has a rare combination of power/strength and mobility. The guy can move laterally and run the floor well despite his size and strength.

THIS is the kind of guy who would benefit from learning from Chuck Hayes, Carrol Dawson and maybe Yao Ming. They can polish his game a little bit.

I wouldn't mind if we paid him 8m+. Assuming he plays at the same level and we don't lose any pieces, I can see this guy adding at least 5 wins to this team.

How much more at ease would you feel with Scola/Martin/Budinger (huge defensive liabilities) in the lineup when there's a shotblocker/rebounder who can erase their mistakes, and now Lowry is the full-time PG?

Can't put a price on that. I doubt we'll be able to, but if we could get this guy, we shouldn't hesitate to (according to Morey's model) overpay because that's just what the market for bigmen is. We didn't get Gortat, Bulls flat out said no for Asik, I think by now Morey should have realized that big shotblocking C's cost MONEY.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Bingo.

You dudes saying we need a "shotblocker" are in video game fantasy land, especially at 10 million bucks.

If we are going to pay that much, we better get a real player.

For instance, Marcin Gortat absolutely annhilates Deandre Jordan and Javale McGee on a basketball court, defensively and offensively. Chuck Hayes is infintely better, and would keep both of those fools off the court for the next decade.

18. Raven

Raven Member

He'll get offers that make Baby Jesus cry, book it.

19. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Brilliant, another Morey myth to add to the countless others. :confused:

Why is everyone so eager to destroy our flexibilty for mediocre projects like DeAndre Jordan?

If we were one piece away, overpaying for need wouldn't probably be a problem for Morey (though it might be for Les). He is smart, of course he knows quality bigs cost a fortune. Hell, he paid most of the MLE to ancient Brad Miller last summer when we had a chance of contending.

But we aren't one piece away from contending so killing the flexibility for the next Kelvin Cato might not be in our best interest.
    It's one thing to be mediocre with small, moveable contracts and totally another to be the Atlanta Hawks.

And if shotblocking was all that mattered, we would be playing Thabeet. He most likely would have no problem blocking as many shots as Jordan or McGee but we would be a terrible, terrible team.

#39 saintja2, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Thank Darwin. I thought I was taking crazy pills. Fantastic post...