1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Hopkins - Houston's first round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Progs, Apr 17, 2013.

?

Do you like the selection of WR DeAndre Hopkins?

1. Yes

80.8%
  2. No

2.8%
  3. Undecided/ask me later/too early to tell

12.3%
  4. I wanted a different WR

1.9%
  5. Where's Geno Smith?!

2.2%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Texans don't need a burner; their innovative passing attack is based on the safeties thinking it's a run anyway.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seems like a good pick. can't say i watched a lot of Clemson football last season, though.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This draft fell just right with the run on offensive linemen.

Hopkins, basically fell to us....Great value here...He's a top 15 player easy IMO.

So glad they finally addressed a neglected NEED with a guy who has the upside of another Superstar.

Seriously, Hopkins can/will go pick it... big hops/athleticism/ great hands...knows how to use his body, run routes......Also while he is not thought of as a burner, Hopkins is quick.

This guy has great instincts, makes plays..... likely a touchdown machine in the NFL.

I wanted Floyd somehow in the last draft (and everything it would have costed to move up for him), but with the drafting of Hopkins, the Texans IMO have gotten every bit the player.....

#143 Plowman, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

This kid is going to be a flat out stud. He will be on many fantasy starting lineups by the second half of the season.

5. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Spot the damn ball!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Wanna thank all my fans fur supporting me thru the years , now it's time to get a championship in Houston baby!!!</p>&mdash; Deandre Hopkins (@Nukdabomb) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nukdabomb/status/327641023578771456">April 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Combine employs electronic timing, Pro Days don't. Pro Days are known to be slanted heavily towards making the prospects look good. Also, the 4.46/4.41 numbers were not without dispute:
    http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6811
    DeAndre Hopkins/WR: Was timed as fast as the low 4.4’s on a number of watches but was later given an “official” time of 4.52. Except for two drops late in the session his pass catching workout was described as “dazzling”.
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51092098/ns/sports-player_news/
    Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins ran a forty-yard dash of 4.52 at the Tigers' Pro Day.
    Though Hopkins' two "unofficial" times at the Combine were 4.50 and 4.50, he was given an "official" time of 4.57. So the Pro Day forty is an improvement. Per NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, Hopkins' Pro Day receiving workout was described as "dazzling" by scouts on hand. With elite ball skills, Hopkins is drawing Roddy White comparisons and would be a great second-round pick.

Unfortunately, he's more likely a 4.51 guy. (above)

It is Nuk, (mis)pronounced as "nuke"

I do agree with this.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

But will Matt pass him the ball?!

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Lestar's combine 40 was 4.65 which is slower than DeAndre's slowest time.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

One thing the Texans do, draft-wise, which I love, is value the college experience seemingly over getting too caught up in combine measureables. Cushing was a terrific college football player on a very talented team; KJ started on an NFL-ready defense that dominated; Watt was a wildly productive football player...

This kid caught caught 18 TD passes last year. Let me repeat: 18!. People can knock whatever they want - that is an incredible number and indiciative of a playmaker, 40 time be damned. For some perspective: AJ totaled 19 in two years as a starter at UM.

I think it's a great pick.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I though he ran a 4.4 something. How about Keyshawn?

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Keyshawn is their fastest WR, but he's small. Slot only, and he isn't good at the most important thing a WR is supposed to do:
    Block.
    No just kidding, he's not good at actually catching the football.

Keyshawn is a pretty good return man though.

1 person likes this.
  12. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Nuk during his HS days in Central, SC (just a few miles from the Clemson campus):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not everyone can have an over 50% catch rate like Jacoby Jones.

14. Raven

Raven Member

I'm OK with the pick as long as he can catch the god#### ball.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You obviously have seen the Sports Science video..... :eek:

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

The receiver most ready to start, great pick,

He is quick, and football fast, watch his film, great hands, aggressive, strong, goes up and gets the ball

Just ask Oakland about drafting the 'fastest' wide out available.

The only thing that will limit Hopkins is Schaub.

Now we need to get a middle LB, S, OT, NT, and O LB- oh yeah we could use another TE and RB also

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I wonder how's the correlation between college TD numbers and pro's. I think the fantasy people generally feel TD numbers by WRs are somewhat inconsistent, right?

I really am hoping the Texans can put together a semblance of a passing attack within the redzone, so it's not run, run, run, FG all the time. But I'm not really optimistic, given the track record of our offense.

18. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Please elaborate. Fill us in with your football wisdom.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Patterson is a raw, downfield receiver and a YAC guy. He definitely has 1st year, WR bust potential,

Hopkins is a polished possession receiver that run blocks. He will start at the WR2 from day one with the trust of the coaching staff.

In our system, with our QB, Hopkins is better

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Watched some highlights, looks like a good pick. We needed a WR next to AJ (not to mention AJ doesn't have a whole lot of years left).

BR has us taking Barkley next round.