1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dealing with near grown children with different political ideology

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXRAN, Sep 25, 2020.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My wife hates it when I talk politics. I talk with her mother sometimes about it. Her mother is fairly pro-Trump, except she's angry at his Covid response. I'm pretty center. I mean slightly left on social issues and slight right on financial things. I'm also young and/or self aware enough to admit that I have very few concrete beliefs. I believe we all should be able to listen and adapt based off of what we know, what we hear, and what we are willing to consider.

When we talk, sometimes we get a little heated, but it's all in good fun. I'm not going to hold a personal grudge against someone for what they believe. Pretty sure, despite the way I feel about many things, she thinks I'm just a blessing heart liberal. Oh well.

I love coming to the D and D here because we're all there to discuss politics. Some people take it too seriously. I always try and keep in mind we're all Rockets fans, so we're not that different. For the most part, I don't think a lot of people get too carried away there, and I feel it is a safe space to discuss things, which is great. Obviously it's a bit skewed, but like anything nowadays, you've got to learn to sift through the chaff.

My point, though, is that this site is not the real world. In the real world, with the way things are, and how charged everything is, I tend to shy away from discussing politics with people I know won't agree with me, for the most part. Unless I really know the person, and I know they're mature enough not to hold a grudge over something that is truly hypothetical, I won't have it.

I consider myself a fairly mature adult for my age, and I think I was on the high end of the maturity scale for 21 (though my post history here may not agree). What I do know, though, is that at 21ish, in today's times, I wouldn't know how to approach a political debate. I would have an idea starting to form of my beliefs, but they'd be mostly molded by my interactions with peers and online, and they'd be fluid. Hearing the opposite viewpoint, especially consistently, and from a loved one, would probably trigger me. I can see why your daughters would react that way, for sure.

As a parent of an almost 3 year old, and with one on the way, I can empathize with you. That's a tough thing. The right move is probably to quit talking politics to them. Another parenting thought would be if you felt your daughter was ready for it, you could sir her down, explain to her that you hate to see her upset by your beliefs, and that you would probably rather not talk politics with her, so as not to upset her. If I were 21, I would think an adult conversation about this, and then an explanation about how everyone in the world should be adaptable, malleable, and open-minded (including yourself) throughout their lives, would be in order. And I would also explain that because of this, people can change their mind on all things politics as they age. And then I would say if she has any political questions, she could ask, and that you would do your best not to inject any upsetting viewpoints into them.

Long story short, at 21, I think kids are just getting their feet wet in politics. I don't think they have enough experience to really have in depth discussions. They're also growing emotionally, and figuring out how to deal with that. Mixing those two things are not necessarily the best thing.

And finally, I can say that one positive about Trump's presidency, and all of the divisiveness in today's political world, is that it has created a lot more politically well-educated people.

3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

TL;DR but liked.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Sounds like that daughter thinks the world revolves around her.

I'd be giving her the option of being a grown up, or moving out so she can grow up quick and have a taste of the real world.

I'd hate to have a kid in today's society. I'm so glad I was brought up when my parents were still allowed to teach me how to act right when I was in the wrong and an idiot.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

My sister is religious and likely is the polar opposite of me politically.

We just don’t talk politics.

Her husband tries though

6. DaDakota

I Have still NEVER heard a good answer for why people put up with a career con man and liar like Trump.

I do have a good friend who is a big time Baptist who say he hates him but wants the judges.......we are good friends, but I tell him that is hypocritical - he doesn't care......lol.

DD

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Deckard is a known, and unapologetic "get off my lawn" old white guy.

You could call him the OG of "get off my lawn" old white guys. He makes Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino look like Malcolm X.

And I'm sure he's proud of that and will tell you stories about how his daughter makes 6 figures.

But white people love their broccoli casserole, and Deckard seems like a good guy, so it's just good natured ribbing.

TWS1986 likes this.
  8. DaDakota

It would be quite the battle between Broccoli casserole and Green bean casserole....

DD

ROXRAN likes this.
  9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Depends on the season.

Didn't Trump just take a **** and use a non-flushable wipe or something? Seems like you should be concerned about that.

10. TimDuncanDonaut

Can focus on common ground things. I don't know like cut cat gifs, bacon, and Houston Rockets.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The funny thing is the oldest is so much like me besides politics and the youngest is so much like my wife but agrees with my politics. Kinda funny to see how children are mixtures of two people and yet their own person. Kids are great and we raise adults with pride, time just moves too fast. When I first joined CF, the youngest wasn’t even born yet, now they are both near ready to be on their own and I just don’t want to let them go . I know that’s not the right outlook but that’s how I feel

CXbby and Jayzers_100 like this.
  12. DaDakota

No that is completely natural - you are in love with your children, and letting them go is one of the hardest things to do, get ready to cry quite a bit when it happens......the time you raised them has been special - but now they need to go off on their own and you will get less and less of their time.

It is sad, but you did your job, sounds like you did a great one, be proud of that - and good luck getting through the first year of empty nesting, pay particular attention to your wife - even though you are hurting, she is too, and you guys should talk about it together.

I suggest visiting wineries......at least you can have fun while you get used to the new normal.

Good luck Rox - we don't agree on politics but by your posts I can tell you are a good man.

DD

TWS1986 and ROXRAN like this.
  13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Thank you sir

DaDakota likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya I can definitely tell he has a preference for his children based on political ideology. He can't be proud of her accomplishments.

It's going to be a point of tension in the future for them probably.

15. fchowd0311

Maybe because my school is in Massachusetts but in our engineering department people almost unanimously thought Trump was a disaster. Some held conservative beliefs also.

I don't think @ROXRAN understands how horrendous Trump is perceived even by apolitical people who don't even follow politics much. He spends too much time here thinking that only liberals hate Trump.

TWS1986 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

Do you think supporting someone like Trump has different context where it's not a normal support?

Like disagreeing between Obama and Romney though heated wasn't based on basic values of democracy and respect.

Can you respect a adult human who still sees Trump as a good man to run a country?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. AXG

AXG Member

She's young. She'll learn. At 21, my political ideology was much different than at 31.

ROXRAN likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

I'm all in favor of calling Trump supporters "nearly grown children".

19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Respect? No. Exist with? I guess as long as we're not talking politics.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

man this is weird you have older kids ...based on your posts i thought you were like the kenosha kid still in high school young buck...

i guess its more like the tremors deal
    [​IMG]
    good one

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.